THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Why is the Manual transmission a dying breed?

08-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #133
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Pomroy View Post

I have an E46CI M supercharged manual, an X5M F15 8 speed auto and a Porsche 997 turbo cabriolet stage 2 tuned.
There is no doubt that a manual is more involving, but the modern auto boxes are superb, THE BMW 8 speed with flick across sport mode and paddles are so much faster away from the lights and so very controllable at a touch of the finger tips,
Great in crawling traffic. For the driver just a big grade up from a stick and clutch change
My wife had a ‘16 X3 with the 8-speed auto, and I wish it had a manual. It’s just not fun to me, and I don’t think the response is all that great.
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      08-10-2019, 06:37 AM   #134
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

I blame Ferrari

They were among the first to abandon manual transmissions, mostly aligning with changing conventions in racing. The performance numbers with DCT/F1 style transmissions were just better and that was a big advantage in the days when people actually cared about performance numbers and we didn't have sub 3 second family cars.

Once you had companies like Ferrari endorsing the automatic life, a lot of the stigma was removed.

It used to be getting a manual transmission was the faster, cheaper and more fuel efficient option. Automatics were terrible in the 80s and 90s. Once manufacturers started offering automatics for free, a lot of the cheap manuals were gone from the market. Once those disappeared, it became harder for teens to learn to drive stick. No cars were available.

As those teens get older, it becomes that much harder to learn. It's very intimidating to buy a car you don't know how to drive and adults don't like to be embarrassed.

So now we have a huge swath of drivers who can't drive stick, free automatics that are faster and more efficient than stick, and all the fastest cars are available only with automatic.

Frankly, cars like the M5 are too big, powerful and numb to really be enjoyable with a stick. The auto really does serve that car better. Doesn't mean I necessarily prefer the experience. My 993 is a stick and way slower than the M5 and I'd pick it 10/10 for pure driving fun. For a DD that has to serve multiple duties - the M5 with automatic is the better choice. Besides, the power plant of the M5 has virtually instantaneous torque at very low RPMs. You don't really have to work the engine. The fun of stick having to thrash an engine into the stratosphere and keeping it on the boil. The slow death of NA motors has also contributed to the demise of stick.

Bottom line - it's sad but not surprising that stick is dying off.
Appreciate 2
Red Bread4462.00
clee1982796.00
      08-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #135
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Shouldn’t you blame bmw for being the first to introduce SMG on an iconic but also accessible performance car?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #136
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Shouldn’t you blame bmw for being the first to introduce SMG on an iconic but also accessible performance car?
Sure. But BMW still makes manual transmissions, so they get a bit of a pass.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #137
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

It is a shame manuals are dying. The new hill assist and rev matching features have made them really easy to use for even novices. I bought a new 2019 6 MT recently just to get one before they disappear.
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      08-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #138
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
You don't really have to work the engine. The fun of stick having to thrash an engine into the stratosphere and keeping it on the boil. The slow death of NA motors has also contributed to the demise of stick.
You don't have to, but you still can.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #139
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
I blame Ferrari

They were among the first to abandon manual transmissions, mostly aligning with changing conventions in racing. The performance numbers with DCT/F1 style transmissions were just better and that was a big advantage in the days when people actually cared about performance numbers and we didn't have sub 3 second family cars.

Once you had companies like Ferrari endorsing the automatic life, a lot of the stigma was removed.

It used to be getting a manual transmission was the faster, cheaper and more fuel efficient option. Automatics were terrible in the 80s and 90s. Once manufacturers started offering automatics for free, a lot of the cheap manuals were gone from the market. Once those disappeared, it became harder for teens to learn to drive stick. No cars were available.

As those teens get older, it becomes that much harder to learn. It's very intimidating to buy a car you don't know how to drive and adults don't like to be embarrassed.

So now we have a huge swath of drivers who can't drive stick, free automatics that are faster and more efficient than stick, and all the fastest cars are available only with automatic.

Frankly, cars like the M5 are too big, powerful and numb to really be enjoyable with a stick. The auto really does serve that car better. Doesn't mean I necessarily prefer the experience. My 993 is a stick and way slower than the M5 and I'd pick it 10/10 for pure driving fun. For a DD that has to serve multiple duties - the M5 with automatic is the better choice. Besides, the power plant of the M5 has virtually instantaneous torque at very low RPMs. You don't really have to work the engine. The fun of stick having to thrash an engine into the stratosphere and keeping it on the boil. The slow death of NA motors has also contributed to the demise of stick.

Bottom line - it's sad but not surprising that stick is dying off.
exactly, manual use to mean more performance, no longer...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #140
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I had a E30 M3 and loved it. Wish I still had it. Since then a barrage of 6mt cars. Then in 1995 the wife and I started a family and I traded in my DD for a Volvo 850 turbo. Since then I’ve not owned a MT. They have since become rarer because the performance cars have auto’s that outperform sticks and although many enthusiasts like to row the gears, there is not enough of us to justify production numbers.

Heck I just want to rent one to teach my kids how to drive. Nope. Not Happening.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #141
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

I didn't read the whole thread so I'm sure this has been mentioned already but:

While no one will argue that manual transmissions are more engaging for the driver, they've taken a back seat to automatics in every other aspect. It's really not hard to see why we're approaching the point where manuals are pretty much not offered at all. They used to be close but now, if you want ultimate performance you're shooting yourself in the foot by getting a manual. I don't blame people who do but I'll take a PDK over any trans.

People used to argue carburetors were better than EFI, etc...
Appreciate 1
nlaak85.50
      08-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #142
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post

People used to argue carburetors were better than EFI, etc...
Naw, controlling gear changes is much different. It's more akin to removing the steering wheel in favor of computer self-steering, but adding a little computer assisted joystick, should the driver want to take over steering control. That's fine in a car made for transportation, but not in a car made for fun.

I have no doubt that a car completely controlled by a computer will be faster than all of us...but who cares at that point??
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #143
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I don't think that's appropriate analogy...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #144
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I had a E30 M3 and loved it. Wish I still had it. Since then a barrage of 6mt cars. Then in 1995 the wife and I started a family and I traded in my DD for a Volvo 850 turbo. Since then I’ve not owned a MT. They have since become rarer because the performance cars have auto’s that outperform sticks and although many enthusiasts like to row the gears, there is not enough of us to justify production numbers.

Heck I just want to rent one to teach my kids how to drive. Nope. Not Happening.
https://www.yellowpages.com/long-isl...driving-school
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #145
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Naw, controlling gear changes is much different. It's more akin to removing the steering wheel in favor of computer self-steering, but adding a little computer assisted joystick, should the driver want to take over steering control. That's fine in a car made for transportation, but not in a car made for fun.

I have no doubt that a car completely controlled by a computer will be faster than all of us...but who cares at that point??
TT racers
Appreciate 0