THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Annual new vehicle service

08-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

Annual new vehicle service

I probably should ask this question to the BMW Dealer Service Dept, but should I bypass my tune when I take my car in for its annual service? Anyone have experience with this? I'd hate for them to decline the free service because of the aftermarket tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Personally unless it's a Dinan Stage 1 (which piggyback the mfgs warranty), I'd pull any tune off the car before bringing it for service.

Don't anything about your dealership or the Service department, Some Svc Mgrs don't care and if you have an issue will look for mfg defect before blaming the tune. Others do not. They blame the tune as a unauthorized modification and will want to hold you accountable.

Your call. Best to talk to your service guy about tunes on cars and ask some probing questions before you act. Most will tip their hands as to which way they lean.

Be forewarned that there are rumors that the ECU on the car records data whether the tune is removed or not, they can tell should there be a problem.

One big reason I stick with factory authorized upgrades or a Dinan that offers warranty coverage to match mfgs.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have a Dinan Stage 1 V2 so to be safe think I will put it in bypass mode. I found out this Dealer was purchased by a Japanese company and now doesn't recognize Dinan. We can kill this thread and thanks for your response.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Remove it, don't just put it in bypass mode. But if you are running a tune when you blow s/t expensive they will know (or can find out easily). And if it is expensive stuff it is no longer up to your dealer - they bring in central office people who will likely be prone to deny coverage on things that would be related (a tune would be assumed to affect most motor functions; might not give you grief for suspension or trans issues? and it being a Dinan may also give you some protection).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am counting on the Dinan warranty. When warranty period is over, and depending on the value of the car, I may just remove it. Or perhaps it will be time to purchase a new car. Thanks for your comments.
Appreciate 0