THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Rear Camber Adjustment not possible

08-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
bonno240i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Rear Camber Adjustment not possible

Hey everyone,

first of all, sorry if my english isn't that good, I'm not from the US. I try my best to not make you cringe while reading!

I'm driving a M235i with KW Clubsport 2-way suspension and tried to align my M235i yesterday.
I run -3 degree camber up front with 0°03 toe front and 0°14 toe in the back.
I wanted to set the rear camber to -2°20, which was not possible.

The problem was, everytime the shop tried to get up to about -2 degree camber in the rear or even more, the toe went crazy and to like -0.20°, which is not drivable. He couldn't adjust the toe enough to get to 0°14 or even to something like 0°10..

So he said, I could either run about -1°30 - -1°35 camber with the toe settings in place or with toe out when the camber is set to about -2.
He used the two bolts to adjust camber and toe, I didn't do this before so I really don't know what you could possibly do wrong, but he said its either not enough negative camber or crazy toe out.

Right now I'm running -1°31 (which is like -1,5), which is not near enough what is needed, the rear just doesn't grip enough in corners and my wheel/tyre fitment needs a little more camber too. So my front grips like crazy (I'm running 245 square set-up too) and the rear is just too loose..
Without more camber I'm not able to set-up any drivable set-up and it just rides pretty bad..

As I have many friends driving 1 or 2-series that could adjust like 2 degree negative camber or even more without any problem (and couldn't find anyone that couldn't get enough camber in the back) I really don't know what could be the problem. I even called multiple tuning shops and they said they never got any problem to go to like 2 degree with enough toe in..

The car didn't had an accident and everything seems right, the bushings are also fine. I'm helpless and don't know what could be the cause, could the mechanic do something wrong? If yes, what? I attached some pictures to show what the bolts look like..

I hope you can help me and thanks a lot for everyone that's trying to help!

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Here is the adjustment procedure, lower bolt for camber, upper for toe: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ement/GsbDleC1

From your top photo, the lower camber adjustment washer needs to be turned the other way up, as the adjustment ridges on the arm are below the centre of the bolt and not contacting the washer. The toe adjustment bolts are also in the middle of their range, so can easily be adjusted more after the camber has been set to your -2 degrees value. Sounds like the mechanic who did the alignment didn’t know how to adjust the suspension correctly.

Note that the tightening torques for the camber bolts are quite high at 165Nm.

Last edited by aerobod; 08-11-2019 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
bonno240i
United_States
Rep

First of all, thanks for helping! I was with him in the shop that day and sort of saw how he tried to adjust it. The camber maxed out was about 2°30 but he couldn't adjust the toe to toe in.
I asked him what the problem was and he said the camber adjustment is no problem but toe adjustment range was not big enough to get to toe in.
I didn't saw what bolt he was using to adjust camber/toe, could it be he tried to adjust camber with the "toe bolt" and toe with the "camber bolt"?
You can't be that stupid as a mechanic I hope..
What I also don't understand is how before adjustment the camber on the left side was -1°44 with even more toe in (0°20) and after adjustment its less camber with less toe, so how does that make sense? :O
I will bring my car there again this week so they adjust it again and I don't have to pay for it, if I understand what could go wrong there I could try to explain what went wrong last time.
Kind of sad I have to explain a mechanic how to do his job properly.
Also, I wanted to make sure that it's absolutely common and no problem for a 2-series to get more than 2 degree rear camber with enough toe in, there were some problems with some BMW's where you can't get enough rear camber too without getting too much toe out, but I never heard of that problem concering the F2X..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
ghost.M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM M235i 6MT

If what aerobod recommended didn't work you should try the KMAC rear camber bushings.

I have them and am running -2.6 with 0 toe. The link says front but these are for the rear. Fronts look different and are $25 cheaper.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-kmac-par...193916-2i~kma/
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
bonno240i
United_States
Rep

Thanks! Great idea! Next week it will get aligned again, let's see how it turns out!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
bonno240i
United_States
Rep

Quick Update: The car now has -2°30 rear camber with +0°15 toe - exactly like I wished.
As you all said, there was enough room for camber and toe adjustment and the mechanic was an idiot and it seems like he did not know what he was doing.
I can only guess, he used the toe bolt to adjust camber and the camber bolt to adjust toe.
So if someone faces that problem: Make sure the mechanic uses the correct bolts to adjust camber/toe and he adjusts camber first and toe after that and not the other way around.
Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0