THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Headlight vertical aim control malfunction

08-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
F82Rick
Private
Rep
Drives: f82

Headlight vertical aim control malfunction

Hey everyone,

So I got rear ended a few months ago and my car has been in the body shop for the past 2 months. They had to disassemble the suspension and put the car on a jig. They finished the repairs on the car but said there is now an error code that says headlight vertical aim control malfunction. The body shop asked me if it was already there and it was not. Just wanted to see if anyone had any insight on why this error had showed up. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

They probably didn’t disassemble the rear suspension in the right order, breaking the control rod(s) that connects the aim control sensor to the suspension or damaging the sensor itself, see this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_1614

If they just removed the suspension arms without first disconnecting the sensor, they would almost certainly damage the headlight aim system.

I would say they are not qualified to work on the car if they have broken the aim system and don’t know what they have done. I would have their work checked by a qualified independent or the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:24 PM   #3
F82Rick
Private
Rep
Drives: f82

That’s what I was suspecting and told the body shop. They said they will be taking it to the dealer to tmrw morning. Hoping everything works out!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0