THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Stage 3 or Stage 2 Turbo?

12-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #1
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Stage 3 or Stage 2 Turbo?

I have myself a predicament...

Now Ive posted about this before, but I haven't gotten a straight answer. I could either buy a Pure Stage 2 hybrid or I could save up and buy the Stage 3 Speedtech Garrett Turbo. I haven't decided because I've heard that hybrid turbo slack top end power. Although, at the same time Stage 3 turbos have turbo lag and not much low end power. Also, they're more expensive, but can hold more power. What do you all think? I would like to hear especially from stage 2 or 3 turbo owners. Thanks!
      12-16-2020, 12:54 AM   #2
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysosa View Post

Now Ive posted about this before, but I haven't gotten a straight answer. I could either buy a Pure Stage 2 hybrid or I could save up and buy the Stage 3 Speedtech Garrett Turbo. I haven't decided because I've heard that hybrid turbo slack top end power. Although, at the same time Stage 3 turbos have turbo lag and not much low end power. Also, they're more expensive, but can hold more power. What do you all think? I would like to hear especially from stage 2 or 3 turbo owners. Thanks!
So I'm in the same predicament with my m2. I've maxed out my stock turbo with fbo and a custom tune.

From what I've gathered, it all depends on your power goals, usage, and supporting mods (most importantly fueling upgrades). Here's a summary of what I gathered:

1. If you don't track your car and really only want to be faster on the street, get a ps2. Low end power is better and that matters a lot more. You WILL feel the lag of the bigger turbos and it'll be less enjoyable light to light.

2. If you track on shorter tracks, I see people still going the hybrid turbo route.

3. If you want to track on longer, straighter tracks. No questions asked, get a stage 3 turbo.

For me personally, I don't track my m2 even thought the mods (previous owner installed them) I have may fool you. I'm more fascinated with running on the highway with my friends. I'm also hooked on breaking 500 whp.

Also, know that you don't want to be running a stage 3 turbo on pump gas. I've seen some builds that run high 400s on the ps2 with pump gas, hpfp, lpfp, fbo.

The only thing stopping me from me getting the ps2 is the large wait times and my wallet hahaha. If you send in your turbo core or do a core deposit, you're looking at a 6 week turnaround and I just rather not have my car down for so long.

I hope this helps!
      12-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

In my opinion, Pure stage 2 power is ideal for daily drivers. It's responsive, fun to drive with a lot of torque

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #4
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
In my opinion, Pure stage 2 power is ideal for daily drivers. It's responsive, fun to drive with a lot of torque
A core deposit is returned correct? Just making sure...
      12-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsM2 View Post
Quote:

So I'm in the same predicament with my m2. I've maxed out my stock turbo with fbo and a custom tune.

From what I've gathered, it all depends on your power goals, usage, and supporting mods (most importantly fueling upgrades). Here's a summary of what I gathered:

1. If you don't track your car and really only want to be faster on the street, get a ps2. Low end power is better and that matters a lot more. You WILL feel the lag of the bigger turbos and it'll be less enjoyable light to light.

2. If you track on shorter tracks, I see people still going the hybrid turbo route.

3. If you want to track on longer, straighter tracks. No questions asked, get a stage 3 turbo.

For me personally, I don't track my m2 even thought the mods (previous owner installed them) I have may fool you. I'm more fascinated with running on the highway with my friends. I'm also hooked on breaking 500 whp.

Also, know that you don't want to be running a stage 3 turbo on pump gas. I've seen some builds that run high 400s on the ps2 with pump gas, hpfp, lpfp, fbo.

The only thing stopping me from me getting the ps2 is the large wait times and my wallet hahaha. If you send in your turbo core or do a core deposit, you're looking at a 6 week turnaround and I just rather not have my car down for so long.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for the response! I've already decided which LPFP I want but not sure if I should get a stage 2 or stage 3. Do you know which one you need for max gains with the Pure turbo?

Also I am about to order a Phoenix Racing Intake Manifold for methanol AND port injection, does anyone know if you need a HPFP if you already have port injection and methanol? I heard that this compensates for the top end fuel deficit.
      12-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
its refunded as long as you send your stock turbo to Pure within 60 days

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 04:23 PM   #7
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
its refunded as long as you send your stock turbo to Pure within 60 days
What's the best price you could do on the Stage 2 with the installation kit, core deposit on EWG, and option 2 inlet? I'm not sure about the GFB DV, is it necessary? If so, then that as well.