THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Ride quality degrades when it's cold?

11-01-2021, 05:19 AM   #1
amutti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

Basically, weather is changing in New England, mornings are 34-48F, warming up to the +60F in the afternoon. I've noticed in the morning, or on days it's stayed in the 40s, the ride is rougher, almost like I've thrown a wheel weight. It seems to be better on my ride home. Yesterday was pretty warm all day and the "sensation" was gone.

I've adjusted all the wheel air pressure so it's +/- lb or two within speck (all tires are correct ratio, but temp affects what the car/gauge reads).

I also got under the car to inspect for any damage to wheels and suspension/steering and didn't see anything obvious.

I've observed this in other cars, but not at these warmer temps.

Thoughts? Normal?

Edit: what I'm referring to is a little more vibration in the steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

If you are running summer tyres, they will flat spot while sitting at the lower temperatures and not be fully round again until the rubber has warmed up, leading to off-balance vibrations. Cars with all-season tyres won't exhibit this until lower temperatures and those with winter tyres shouldn't experience it at all.

Basically normal, some summer tyres exhibit this more than others, especially those in the Extreme Performance category.
Appreciate 1
x233284.00
      11-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

In addition to the tires, everything rubber and urethane hardens in the cold and fluids in the shocks thicken. All this results in more NVH as temps drop below 50.

Does your car have runflats?
x233284.00
      11-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #4
amutti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
In addition to the tires, everything rubber and urethane hardens in the cold and fluids in the shocks thicken. All this results in more NVH as temps drop below 50.

Does your car have runflats?
Yes. It still has the runflats for now.
Appreciate 0