THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Approach for setting/Achieving lap time Goals for New Tracks

10-31-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 6spd.

I starting running track events this year with M240 after an extended break. In 2021 , between social media and better cell phone apps hobby life is so much improved. I play guitar as a hobby in two bands a classic rock and R&B/jazz horn band. Back in the day learning a song was dropping a needle on album /then cassette /then CD /then using tab. Today I have iPhone Guitar Tab app (1,000's of songs in seconds) and on YouTube there are detailed lessons on most songs including from the original artist - thank you Neal schoen.

In March I was back into a track Atlanta Motors Sports Park north of Atlanta. Two miles 16 turns elevation changes So I go to YouTube and find a GT3 running a 1 min 25 sec. , Miata record ~ 1:30 , prepped Gen 1 NSX 1:38 -1:40 and a few novices in high 1:40's to low 1:50's So I have time brackets concept for novice , intermediate and advanced for stock and prep 'd .

Next take track map and identify key corners - ones that precede longest straights Turn 16 which leads to front straight and then T6 back straight
Then I look for fastest corners T15 then T14

Now back to YouTube and I create a spreadsheet entering the apex and turnout speeds at key corners
then peak speeds on straights then apex speeds on fast corners for GT3 , NSX and a novice mustang .
I can also record some lateral G's data points for key corners if driver had overlay on YouTube

Now I know that if a driver can not achieve 90-95 mph on T16 with 108 mph + at start / finish they can not run a 1:38 at AMP

Goals have fun, run safe, learn track and car at intermediate pace 1:42 - 1:50 - have fun.

I do some prep bought BMWdrive analyze app to record laps to see my speeds at key reference points on track, 200 tw tires, motul 660 and track pads.

I record all three sessions using BMWDrive and can plot my speeds and lap times Drive app does not automatically generate these duh ! But not difficult to identify and easy to download to computer with playback video with overlays and data files to Racerender and Excel All for $140. Would have cost thousands when I starting.

Suggestions or comments welcome
Attached Images

Last edited by BillG2A; 10-31-2021 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 11:04 PM   #2
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep

Track picture
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 12:52 AM   #3
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep

Mperf Drive video screen shot AMP
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #4
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
You seem very focused on lap times. I wouldn't. You'll know when you are driving better, faster. Drive safe and drive your best that day. Chasing a specific lap time is a recipe for accidents in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #5
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks I appreciate your comments.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 12:54 PM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

My $.02: Go to BMWCCA events, with a live instructor in the right seat. Stop looking at times until you have really gotten the driving elements down. Rather than trying to chase a hypothetical lap time, try using a data analyzer that will compare your current sector to a 'best version' - that can facilitate on the fly learning since you'll have more direct info on if you are doing s/t better or not.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4347.50
      11-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
My $.02: Go to BMWCCA events, with a live instructor in the right seat. Stop looking at times until you have really gotten the driving elements down. Rather than trying to chase a hypothetical lap time, try using a data analyzer that will compare your current sector to a 'best version' - that can facilitate on the fly learning since you'll have more direct info on if you are doing s/t better or not.
^ This.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd recommend in addition that, if possible, you switch to Road Atlanta, a track I think is much more suited to our heavy, powerful cars. If you do choose to run there, I highly recommend purchasing the $47 RA virtual track walk produced by Ross Bentley and Peter Krause. More here: https://speedsecrets.com/virtual-track-walks/.

The video will take most of the guesswork out of learning the track, thereby lowering your lap times right from the get-go. Both Bentley and Krause have a tremendous amount of experience and data from RA and are excellent at communicating their knowledge.

If you do buy the video, don't be surprised if Krause offers something along these lines: "The minimum speed through Turn X should be within 3 MPH of the minimum speed through Turn Y, and if you're not achieving that in Turn Y because you're intimidated and turning-in too early, then stop jumping the gun on your turn-in and work your speed up slowly and safely until you're within the 3 MPH window."

Some of the stuff in their videos is gold - they're things that would likely never have occurred to you or been discovered unless you've got real talent. Full disclosure: I don't, and that's why I've spent a fair amount of time and money in Bentley's and Krause's in-person seminars.

The video will also make you a safer driver on that course because you'll be running the car where it belongs everywhere on the track. It gets rid of all of the car-placement guesswork and exploration. That may not necessarily sound like fun, but it speeds your acclimation to the track and that makes you safer.

/end-of-sales-pitch (and, no affiliation, either!)
Appreciate 1
Maynard3831.50