THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes BMW Motorsport End-links

06-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #1
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

BMW Motorsport End-links

After installing the BC Racing suspension I noticed my rear sway bar has a less than ideal position and the end-link is very close to the suspension.

BC only supplies a front end-link ( non-adjustable ).

I started looking for some adjustable end-links and I found this from BMW Motorsport:
Rear swing support DURBAL AN14/029 ( p/n 33558417034 )
Front swing support DURBAL (p/n 31358417127)

They are installed in the BMW M235i Racing, which also uses the same H&R sway bars as I have installed in my car.

I only found images of the rear one, and sketches on RealOEM are very confusing for the front one so I was wondering if anyone has installed them or has access to a M235i Racing to take some pictures of them.

Attached is a picture of the rear one I found on the internet.
Attached Images

Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #2
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

They're typical spherical end links. I don't have the Motorsports ones, but I'll take some installed pics next time I'm near my car for you. It's hard to mess up installing.

On the rear, one end bolts to the upright, the other to the swaybar (which points somewhat up). It's a pretty short link -- I have some spare SPL ones, GoPro for scale -- and installed the two bolts face about 90 deg from each other.

Appreciate 1
ngl118.00
      06-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #3
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Why do you have spares ? They have a short lifespan ? I know they last less then "stock" ones, but I don't know how much less.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
Why do you have spares ? They have a short lifespan ? I know they last less then "stock" ones, but I don't know how much less.
In this particular case, one of my rear rod end bolts got a bit bent when a rear shock blew and took out a few of my rear suspension bits. The SPL links were backordered at the time, so I forgot it was bent by the time they arrived Should really put them on.

On a car that goes wheel to wheel racing, it's just good practice to carry spare control arms / end links to the track. They're usually the first things to go when there's contact (intentionally so) and it's a bummer to miss a race because you don't have a replacement that takes 15 min to put on.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Right, it makes sense now. I knew race teams tend to carry them, but never considered that contact is the main cause of failure and not wear.

I only do time attack to avoid contact as much as possible, so I was thinking about it from that perspective ( daily + track days + time attack events ).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 01:24 PM   #6
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

I just bought some superpro ones for my M235i as I want to dial out the preload.. They are TRC1045A. Not them fitted yet but here is a pic of my standard ones if that helps:

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 08:50 AM   #7
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, Grey, manual

I had the UUC version, and they rattled constantly, and eventually destroyed themselves. I'm now running, unfortunately, without a right front.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:09 AM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

For adjustable front endlinks with custom length available, take a look at HPA links we have been selling since 2007:

https://www.hpashop.com/HP-Autosport...ks-10m-105.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #9
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
A BMW race engineer recommended against getting their motorsport end links/arms for street cars to me because they don't last terribly long. I'd go with a more street oriented part with a sealed ball joint like HP Autosport's or KC-Design.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #10
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I agree with what Farkle said - my UUCs rusted to Hell and rattled to Kingdom come - forgive the biblical allusions. I was looking at the HP and KC, and they make perfect sense to me. I do live in the Great White North, and rust is occasionally a problem. I now have two Lemforders, sealed, had to turn the front right Bilstein on its axis to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 03:09 AM   #11
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Very good suggestions, thanks.

I found this from Hardrace to be the only ones available in my region without having to wait months.

Anyone had any experience with them ? They seem to have a worldwide presence, selling in USA, Europe and Asia.

Last edited by ngl; 07-07-2021 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #12
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I found this from Hardrace to be the only ones available in my region without having to wait months.

Anyone had any experience with them ? They seem to have a worldwide presence, selling in SUA, Europe and Asia.
Those should be good to go. I have KC Design which look identical, but yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Index
0:00 Construction comparison
0:37 How to adjust the length
1:11 Fastener comparison
2:22 Front end link length range
2:57 Rear end link length range

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
ngl118.00
      07-07-2021, 08:02 AM   #13
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks Farkle. I just ordered a set of fronts. Do they rattle? Jack
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #14
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikijack View Post
Thanks Farkle. I just ordered a set of fronts. Do they rattle? Jack
I have no rattle/noises from them at all. I did have to tighten the lock nuts they come with greater than the 56 Nm / 41 ft-lbs spec though (the ones on the end link to bar interface came loose a few times when only torquing to that spec.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #15
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

M235i Adjustable Droplinks

Hi Farkle

I have rear torsional (side-side) preload on my M235i. Had it with standard M sport springs, but is worse with M Performance and Eibach.

how did you install your KC rear adjustable droplinks? I tried installing my Superpro TRC1045A droplinks to the rear and the ball joint casing and thread length (which seem similar to your KC design) prohibit fitment on the hub. There is limited space between the drive shaft joint and the location hole on the hub. I've tried rotation the the ball joint and thread at an angle to get it in, but no go.

I've watched your "BMW F2x F3x Rear Sway Bar Installation" video but you reuse OEM links.

Last edited by Matthewricha; 09-12-2021 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 10:29 PM   #16
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewricha View Post
Hi Farkle

I have rear torsional (side-side) preload on my M235i. Had it with standard M sport springs, but is worse with M Performance and Eibach.

how did you install your KC rear adjustable droplinks? I tried installing my Superpro TRC1045A droplinks to the rear and the ball joint casing and thread length (which seem similar to your KC design) prohibit fitment on the hub. There is limited space between the drive shaft joint and the location hole on the hub. I've tried rotation the the ball joint and thread at an angle to get it in, but no go.

I've watched your "BMW F2x F3x Rear Sway Bar Installation" video but you reuse OEM links.

The below video shows how to remove/install the rear end links (skip to 8:50). You'll need to jack up the rear wheel carrier which will pivot the toe arm out of the way so you can access the counter hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Index
0:00 Intro
0:14 Measuring ride height *adjustable end links only*
1:28 Removing the front end links
3:50 Front sway bar geometry and adjustment concept *adjustable end links only*
5:30 Setting the front knuckle to ride height *adjustable end links only*
6:07 Installing the front end links
8:50 Rear end link removal
9:53 Rear sway bar geometry and adjustment concept *adjustable end links only*
10:59 Rear end link installation
12:34 Rear end link length adjustment *adjustable end links only*
13:22 End link adjustment to remove preload *adjustable end links only*
15:33 Installing bottom covers and wheels

Appreciate 1
jordan24c128.00
      09-13-2021, 01:42 AM   #17
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you

Yes was aware of the access issue regarding the splined counterhold. Previously used to unbolt toe arm, but saw your video a while back and saw that one could jack hub up to gain access. My issue is space between the bolt hole and drive shaft, where the ball joint housing on the superpro trc1045a seems too large to be able to get thread into the hole as it hits the drive shaft joint. No problem I'll figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #18
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Anyone had any experience with them ? They seem to have a worldwide presence, selling in USA, Europe and Asia.
Did you buy these in the end?

As my Superpros don't appear to fit my car (even though they're specified for the M135i which has the same hub and assembly part numbers), I also found these hardrace ones part number 8659-140. Seems to be a 3-4 week lead time at the moment.

Superpros - thread length preventing fitment, tried lots of articulations:
Appreciate 0