THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 2015 bmw 228i xdrive tune and dyno

06-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
Mick or Mack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Package

2015 bmw 228i xdrive tune and dyno

I posted this in the general forum yesterday by accident, meant to post it here.

I am looking for some perspective from this community since I'm a noob.

Just got my 228i tuned by a local shop who I know a few people have used.

I did a Downpipe and a charge tube. I skipped an intercooler but maybe that was a bad idea for longevity of the engine with the tune?

This is my first car mod in about 20 years so I'm not sure what I was expecting but the Dyno was lackluster. Dyno pulls are both labeled as having the Downpipe, so it's really measuring pre/post tune. Do you think that is why the gain is minimal?

I've seen other stock pulls on the 228i and they got 220+hp at the wheels. If you go off the normal 20% loss from crank to wheels I'd expect my car to be 192 hp stock. Having it be 240 at the wheels now is an AWESOME improvement, but I don't have a baseline.

It was also very humid (65%) and hot (92) in Chicagoland yesterday, do you think that's why the dyno results are lower than others have seen?

I was able to take the car out and drive it last night - I can DEFINITELY feel a difference. I always drive with my phone in my cup holder. I had it there and got at a good red light to floor it. Normally my phone just kind of rocks forward in the cup holder if I gun it... Tonight, it sent the phone all the way to my backseat! I thought maybe I had it sitting weird so I tried it again, same result.

This thing pulls way harder than it used to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
Darin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

We need to ensure we remember a dyno is a snapshot in time - it's how your car performed that particular day on that particular dyno - and cross-comparisons to other cars on other days is not apples to apples. What i see is you apparently have a very healthy car making good power, assuming your a/f ratio is good and safe, as are your EGTs.
Appreciate 0