THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA Best Roads for a Weekend Road Trip

05-23-2021, 12:17 AM   #1
DeeJay520
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 6SP

Garage List
2015 M235  [0.00]
Best Roads for a Weekend Road Trip

Hello, I know there must be a thread for this already if someone can point me there. I am new to F22 ownership and to the forum.

I purchased a 2015 6sp M235 that I should get deliver on June 5th. Looking for the best roads to experience the car on within 2 - 3 hours of Brooklyn NY.

The car is completely stock currently. Not sure what I can get away with in New York City as far as mods, but I am sure I will be more than happy with it in its stock form for at least 3 hours. :-)

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quick: Bear Mountain/Harriman State Park

Medium: go up the Thruway to New Paltz exit, head west. Once you get thru the town of New Paltz (which has many bars and restaurants to hit on your return to the Thruway) look for curvey roads going thru the Miinewaska State Park which is very mountainous

Medium: 30 min further up the Thruway are exits for Saugerties, Hunter, and Windham. Head west from any of those. West of Saugerties are the Slide Mountains you can head in there and then go north, or go up to Rt23/Windham and take that west then head south into the Hunter and Indian Head forests.

Far: Vermont. I did this the first weekend I owned my M240 and put almost 1,000 miles on it. Take the Thruway to Albany then head east into Vermont. Or since you're in NYC it might be better to take 91 up thru CT and hit Vermont from the south then the first big town in VT is Brattleboro head west into the mountains (I'd ask Waze which is faster that day). Then you have thousands of miles of the Green Mountain Forest to explore which is basically the entire south west corner of Vermont. If you're going to stay in VT overnight instead of southern vermont go all the way up to the Killington area. So many parks, hiking trails, lakes, Ben&Jerry ice cream factory tour, and tons of small towns to visit and drive around.

Hints: New Paltz is crowded with hikers on nice weekends, I wouldnt go in the summer. Hunter Windham areas crowded during ski season. I'd plan Vermont by looking up the best touristy towns (good shopping, good food) and plan a curvey route between them with as little main roads as possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #3
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Go with the above recommendations and do a loop up around Hunter Mountain, there are great roads and views up there.

The old Hawks Nest near Port Jervis is a great ride for a beautiful day!

Taconic to 301 to Cold Spring is a nice ride, stop for lunch and head back.

For fun and nice rides, north and N/West of the city offer the best road trips. Long Island is flat, so is Jersey for the most part. 2-3 hours though exploring here and there could find some nice rides.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

One possibility we've done a couple of times is out of New Paltz west on 44 / 55, then back down 17. There is a classic switchback that is just iconic.
If you are going up into VT, then due east from Bennington is the Molly Stark Trail, great mountain route. I'd prefer the Taconic Pkwy rather than NY thruway to get up North. And VT has some killer good deals on liquor too, if you are making the trip; the folks at Bennington Beverage know me by name for my once or twice a summer binge buys. Adirondacks also have fantastic routes, but I think that is more than a day trip. If you want the best driving, get up real early. A lot of the scenic routes start to choke up with tourists and trailer-pullers as the day wears on.
Appreciate 0