THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing PowerStop Track Day Pads - Any Feedback?

02-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 6spd.

Prepping for a BMWCCA 2 day event at Road Atlanta with a newly acquired 2017 M240. 6spd. <20k miles - pic at end of post. I was looking at Hawk DTC-70/60 came across PS Track Days pads at StopTech website. Has anyone tried these? There are a few videos (YouTube) about testing at Bondurant and an non-sponsored video of an amateur M3 driver at N Ring on PS4s (traverse.nd2) who said they performed similar to Ferodo DS2500s. ST site had a link to Summit racing , damn inexpensive $88/$77 =$165 total So I bought them along with Motul 660 to test.
If you have an insights based on experience . It would be appreciated Bill
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 01:40 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Although it may have been a one-off, we had problems with the trackday Powerstop pads in a C5 Z06 Corvette: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...6&postcount=10

I’ve had good experience with the Z23 pads on a Golf R, but it hasn’t been on a track since those pads were fitted.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

What's your budget? I have Performance Friction 08s on my car and love them. They are dusty, and noisy when not up to temperature. I track my car and these pads NEVER disappoint.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #4
fatsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

New guy here, just bought an '18 M240i to use as a daily. I'll be tracking it once in a while also, and will be using Powerstops at Sebring in a couple weeks.

I've run the pads on other cars. IMO they are a good beginner track pad. They were better than the stock pads on my C7 Z06, which is a pretty strong start. However, they will fade when pushed hard, and crack when overheated.

Although I have a C7Z I'm pretty new to tracking, only done about 30 track days. I ran Road Atlanta and VIR a couple summers ago on back-to-back Track Nights. I found both tracks much easier on pads than Sebring or PBIR, my home track. I wasn't pushing hard though, new to both tracks and on vacation.
The hill on the back straight at RA is quite an experience, but actually not too bad for braking. The end of the braking zone is uphill, that helps a lot.

Some positive documentation for PowerStops - this lap at VIR(not me, I wish) is on them. I talked to Chris(the driver) on corvetteforum - he's an amazing driver but on a budget. He's since sold the car and moved to a Camaro 1LE, cheaper to run.

Edited to add: This is the fastest street car lap at VIR I've ever seen. His car is not stock, tuned on E85 and running hoosier A7s - 315F, 345R

Last edited by fatsport; 02-02-2021 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: added details about Chris' lap
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG2A View Post
Prepping for a BMWCCA 2 day event at Road Atlanta with a newly acquired 2017 M240. 6spd. <20k miles - pic at end of post. I was looking at Hawk DTC-70/60 came across PS Track Days pads at StopTech website. Has anyone tried these? There are a few videos (YouTube) about testing at Bondurant and an non-sponsored video of an amateur M3 driver at N Ring on PS4s (traverse.nd2) who said they performed similar to Ferodo DS2500s. ST site had a link to Summit racing , damn inexpensive $88/$77 =$165 total So I bought them along with Motul 660 to test.
If you have an insights based on experience . It would be appreciated Bill
I haven't used them. In response to an email query asking for the pads' operating temperature range, Power Stop tech support says:

"The Track day pads are tested to perform at temps up to 932F."

I used DTC-70s on my M240i and was able to reach the high point of their temperature range on a track with moderate braking demands. My rotors regularly reached 1500-1600°F when measured with brake temp paint. Those are the temps my pads had to manage.

My calipers ran around 375°F, which was too hot for the caliper pistons' dust boots. As a result, they're cracked. I ran the car for 16 track days and don't know when the dust boots started cracking. Probably on the first day.

For comparison, here are a few temperature charts from The Brake Pad Thread (https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1355833):

EBC Pads' Temperature Ranges: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=309

Hawk and Ferodo Pads' Mu vs. Temperature Charts: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=215.

I'm most familiar with Hawk's HT-10, DTC-60, and DTC-70 pads. Comparing Hawk's chart to the PS Track Day Pad tells me that the PS is a street/track pad. If you're easy on the brakes, they may be okay; if you're hard on the brakes, I don't see how the pads will hold up.

From previous experience, I knew before I bought my car that it would be too heavy and too powerful for anything less than a full race pad. The data I collected confirmed that for me.

If I were running an M240i with the PS pads, I'd pay strict attention to brake pedal feel. If the pedal got soft, I'd either come in or run a lap or two with little to no braking and see if the pedal had returned to normal. At a two-day event, I would bleed the brakes between day one and day two.

Please let us know how the event goes for you, brakes and otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #6
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsport View Post
New guy here, just bought an '18 M240i to use as a daily. I'll be tracking it once in a while also, and will be using Powerstops at Sebring in a couple weeks.

I've run the pads on other cars. IMO they are a good beginner track pad. They were better than the stock pads on my C7 Z06, which is a pretty strong start. However, they will fade when pushed hard, and crack when overheated.

Although I have a C7Z I'm pretty new to tracking, only done about 30 track days. I ran Road Atlanta and VIR a couple summers ago on back-to-back Track Nights. I found both tracks much easier on pads than Sebring or PBIR, my home track. I wasn't pushing hard though, new to both tracks and on vacation.
The hill on the back straight at RA is quite an experience, but actually not too bad for braking. The end of the braking zone is uphill, that helps a lot.

Some positive documentation for PowerStops - this lap at VIR(not me, I wish) is on them. I talked to Chris(the driver) on corvetteforum - he's an amazing driver but on a budget. He's since sold the car and moved to a Camaro 1LE, cheaper to run.

Edited to add: This is the fastest street car lap at VIR I've ever seen. His car is not stock, tuned on E85 and running hoosier A7s - 315F, 345R
I've run VIR several times. Great track where brakes make the big difference. During my last track weekend at VIR with the Tar Heel chapter of BMWCCA my instructor had me wait until the 200 foot marker for the turn at the end of the back straight. Then I'd hit the brakes hard and downshifted into 2nd to make the turns. The PF-08 pads never faded. Never.

Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 02-05-2021 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:18 PM   #7
fatsport
United_States
Rep

PowerStop quoting 932F (500°C) is very disturbing. Even if we assume that's the top of the "optimum" operating range they are still a low temp pad. I'll be sure to cool them off when they start to fade.
Thanks for the research and input guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
fatsport
United_States
Rep

Found this in the "The brake pad thread". Looks like the Power Stops are usable...

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=122

Quote:
Originally Posted by john16443 View Post
I'd like to see these pads added to the spreadsheet.

Power Stop Track Day pads model numbers PST-1609 for the fronts, and PST-1656 for the rears, purchased on Amazon. Used the EBC yellows for the first 2 track days at Thunderhill, didn't like them. Stopped ok, acceptable noise, but didn't last for squat. They were done after two relatively easy track days. Put on the PST's for a weekend at Buttonwillow in March, and better braking performance, noisier (expected), but way longer lasting. I put the track specific pads on a few days ahead of the HPDE event and remove them as soon as possible afterwards, so don't run them for long periods on the street.

I wouldn't consider them daily use pads, but they handle HPDE's with no problems at all. I run ATE fluid, currently with stock brake lines. No fade issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #9
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsport View Post
Although I have a C7Z I'm pretty new to tracking, only done about 30 track days.R
After 30 track days, I think you've earned yourself the right to say "experienced". Definitely not pretty new.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #10
fatsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
After 30 track days, I think you've earned yourself the right to say "experienced". Definitely not pretty new.
Thanks. Still lots to learn. Experienced racers are our best resource for improving lap times. Many have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

At my local track, PBIR, I run regularly with a friend who's been doing this for 35 years. We have the same C7Z corvette. Our lap times are pretty close now, but how we get there is different. He makes the car dance in the turns, always searching for the limits of grip.

My first track day in my M240i was at Sebring. I found a fast Miata and followed him. I could've easily passed him on the straights, but I'd rather be learning from someone who knows what they are doing.

Last edited by fatsport; 03-05-2021 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 1
MassNerd171.00
      10-29-2021, 03:18 PM   #11
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 6spd.

Update - after three events on the Power Stop Track Day Pads

Thanks for the comments, very helpful.

I ran at three track days this season at Atlanta Motor Sports Park (AMP). My sons also drove in novice sessions at two of those events, 15 - 20 minute sessions, so maybe 200 miles on track plus 1,000 miles of street use.
AMP is considered a technical track ~ 2 miles 16 turns significant elevation changes.

Your consensus analysis was correct - The Power Stop Track Days pads were competent, never failed to get job done, but did fade during the end of the fastest sessions, requiring earlier braking. For beginner and intermediate lapping for a track day they are fine.

Require a bedding procedure, good bite and modulation, probably great for auto cross. My track setup included Motul 660, stock rotors, bled brakes after events, 911 GTR brake spoiler/scoop on control arms (pictures below). I will be switching to Hawk DTC - 70.

On the street they did sing when cold and produced lots of brake dust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #12
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG2A View Post
Require a bedding procedure, good bite and modulation, probably great for auto cross. My track setup included Motul 660, stock rotors, bled brakes after events, 911 GTR brake spoiler/scoop on control arms (pictures below). I will be switching to Hawk DTC - 70.
One thing I've liked about Hawk pads is I never needed to bed them in. Whichever compound I was running, I just dropped them in, went somewhat easy on them for part of a session, and then used them as hard as was necessary. Of course, it's possible YMMV.

The DTC-70s made a horrible racket on the street, and I learned to modulate my braking to minimize the noise. Their performance on the track was very good, with no fade at all when leaning hard on the car and taking the braking components up to very high temperatures. The dust was terrible, which was to be expected.
Appreciate 0