THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Gran Tourer uppgrade

12-11-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
rstu
Rep
Drives: X3 30D G01, 135i E88, 218d GT

Gran Tourer uppgrade

Hello,

Bought a Gran Tourer a couple of weeks ago, i'm actually impressed of the car :-) i have in mind to keep it for a while, so at blackfriday accidentally(what i told my wife) i invested in som stereo-products

I plan to do the upgrade in small steps so that the car can be used in the meantime.

initial i have HiFi (option 676)

Have just changed the amplifier to a MATCH UP 7BMW, and with stock speakers i'm impressed of the sound improvement with audiotec-fisher sound setup for touring car!

It was crap to find the original amplifier, 7 seats means that everything has to be hidden extra carefully to fit. After tearing out half of the trunk, the amplifier became accessible with small fingers behind the left cover

There are now two pairs of MATCH UP C42BMW-FRT.2 left to install
and a pair of Ground Zero GZCS 200BMW-SW

The first pair of FRT.2 goes in the front doors, to fit the treble, Harman Kardon A-pillars were bought at a spicy price from bmw, just over € 100 for a pair of plastic pieces. it will be nice though.

I could use some advice from you experts.

1. I plan to use one of the speakers in the other kit FRT.2 for the center speaker, and leave the rear doors with original speaker. Does that sound wise?

2. Discovered that the battery is in the front of this car model, is it a big loss not to install a new 12v + power to the amplifier? I suspect a lot of work for little gain? My test with the original speakers are good enough, but maybe the new ones require more power? Have no desire to put the luggage together and have to tear it out again later.

Hope this thread can inspire someone more to upgrade in this slightly unusual model
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 03:50 AM   #2
rstu
Rep
Drives: X3 30D G01, 135i E88, 218d GT

update;

has now changed
- amplifier
- 8 "under chairs
- speakers in front doors

what has put the biggest smile on my face so far are original speakers, changed amplifier with dsp preset file adapted for touring model

When I changed the subs I almost experienced a deterioration. The difference is barely noticeable. Hopefully they need a break in time

When I changed the front doors, the treble became a clear improvement, but the heat in the sound disappeared and I am dissatisfied. Maybe break in here too ..

I have twisted and turned in Audiotech fishers DSP tools but can not get it to sounds good, it sounds boring. such as the lack of liveliness between the frequencies 150-400hz

The best so far had been:
- new amplifier
- original subwoofers
- original speakers in front doors, but with Match tweeters connected

Consider buying a measuring microphone and see if it can be solved with the help of equalizer, for with my own ears I do not get it.

Anyone with similar experience who has tips to give?

Last edited by rstu; 12-12-2021 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0