THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack New Rear PSA/S4s no grip?

11-22-2021, 08:41 PM   #1
beamerbenzbentley
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

New Rear PSA/S4s no grip?

Hi all, just replaced my rear PSA/S3’s with a new set of 4’s (Pilot Sport All Season 4 245 /35 R18 92Y XL BSW) in my 15 m235i and even after over 500 miles of break in driving I’m struggling to have any grip compared to what I had with my previous tires even with 2/32 tread life left before replacing them. It’s so bad that taking curves on the highway on cruise control at 50-60mph has the traction light going off. This ruined my trip to Tail of the Dragon as I had no confidence to push it in this state. My front PSA/S3’s still have about 6/32 tread for reference which is why I didn’t replace both at once.

Discount tire originally overinflated the rears to 41-42 and the fronts to 37 but even after lovering to 34 in the front and 37 in the rear I’m still disappointed that my old bald tires had more grip.

Any thoughts on what could be going on? I’m going to call discount tire and see what they can do as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

What were the temps outside?

How much power are you making?

Running an LSD?

Not sure how much performance you can expect out of all season performance tires. There's a pretty large difference between my PS4s and my Pilot All Season 4s especially above 60 degrees. My PS4s are hilariously bad in temps below 60.

Last edited by XutvJet; 11-22-2021 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      11-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Looking at the Tirerack test results, the PS A/S4 is generally a bit better in the snow, but a bit worse in the dry and wet than the A/S3+, going by absolute lap times and other numbers, but comparing directly can be problematic due to differences in test conditions. They just seem to have changed the focus a bit from summer capabilities to make them 3.2 season tyres as opposed to 3.1 season
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:03 AM   #4
beamerbenzbentley
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
What were the temps outside?

How much power are you making?

Running an LSD?

Not sure how much performance you can expect out of all season performance tires. There's a pretty large difference between my PS4s and my Pilot All Season 4s especially above 60 degrees. My PS4s are hilariously bad in temps below 60.
Temperatures have ranged from 40-70 F with performance being equally as bad when closer to 70F. All dry conditions.

Just Stage 1 BM3 tune but even with stock power map, I notice the same issues. I’m more concerned that I’m losing grip when going around bends on the highway at a constant speed without accelerating.

No LSD yet.

Should the dry performance difference between 3’s and 4’s be this apparently? I purchased the car with the rears at 3/32 tread a few months ago and would only notice the traction interfering when launching the car or purposely trying to go sideways. Now a days, it seems to come on almost anytime I take a bendy highway on ramp and accelerate to 70mph which previously wasn’t a problem. Only difference I can speculate is temperature but I’ve been monitoring the tires through iDrive and even when they get up to 80F, performance is still lacking.
Appreciate 0