THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Why did my ignition/headlights stay on and run down the battery post bimmerlink/code?

11-10-2021, 05:16 AM   #1
AbnormallyAspirated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-Speed Convertible

Garage List
Question Why did my ignition/headlights stay on and run down the battery post bimmerlink/code?

First, I want to stipulate that I was stupid, or at least ignorant.

I got my 1st BMW - a 2016 M235i conv, about 3 weeks ago. i come from VAG, what I had a lot of experience coding.

So of course, I immediately got Bimmercode, Bimmerlink, ISTA+, and e-sys. bimmer apps use a vlinker BM+, which I leave in except when using e-sys/ISTA.

This morning at 4 AM, I decided to to unlock the car from inside the house and play with the bimmercode/bimmerlink apps form my phone - can't see the car from where I was.

All went well. Used the key from inside the house to unlock,/wake up the car, and then used bimmerlink to clear some codes, and bimmercode to check some things (no coding changes).

Moved on to other projects. 2 hours later, wen tot the garage and what-the-what? Headlights, ignition, etc have apparently been on for 2 hours.

I never had the key in the vehicle, and hadn't touched the bimmer apps in 2 hours. battery was completely run down.

I know there is some kind of service mode mentioned in ISTA as an alternative to turning on the ignition. Did the bimmer apps somehow invoke that?

Just confused, and worried I did some permanent damage letting my xenons cook with no airflow for 2 hours?. and other electronics.

Can anyone educate me on what just happened?

Thanks!

Confused Newbie.
Appreciate 0