THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) XPEL Ultimate or 3M ???

03-24-2015, 03:04 AM   #23
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Call Chris at CE mobile detailing in San Diego. He will do the Xpel for much less than what you've been quoted.
Tell him Rami with the E36 M3 and the GTI referred you.
I will give him a call along with Modern Image and Extreme Autowerks in LA to get quotes and then go from there. XPEL Ultimate for me too. I just need to figure out how much I should cover the car.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #24
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Xpel is the way to go...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Xpel is the way to go...
That's what my high school principal said too!
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
      04-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #26
GTGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M440i GC

Garage List
I've been trolling the forums the last few weeks trying to determine if I want to get XPEL installed on my m235i. I did ED about a month ago and my car is scheduled to arrive in port later this week, so I'm guessing it's about 2 weeks it until it arrives. I want to make a decision before taking re-delivery as to whether or not I'm going with XPEL as I can have the auto shop come get the car from the dealer, have XPEL and tint done, and then I can take re-delivery (don't worry, I worked a deal where I'm not paying dealer markup on the work).

I've never had any sort of PPF installed on my previous cars and have always been a Zaino user and have loved the results (z-2 and Clear Seal), but that was when I had a house and the space to detail frequently. Now I'm in an apartment (with garage, too small to do a lot of work in) and have to use the community car wash port, so I'm looking for options that cut down on how much effort I need to put forth to keep the car looking new. I am very anal retentive about my car's appearance, maybe not so much as others on this forum, but still, I'm picky. I plan to keep the m235i for a long time because 1) it's an amazing car, and 2) I really can't afford to be going through cars every couple of years. That being said, I want the paint to look great 5-10 years down the road. So I've been doing a lot of research on PPFs and ceramic coatings like Opti-Coat, and think getting a full front end XPEL PPF along with Opti-Coat on the rest of the car is the way to go. A few concerns I have are:
1) How hard is it going to be to remove XPEL down the road when it needs to get redone.
2) My car is AW and I've read reports of the pff yellowing over time, so have any of you seen this or can attest to the long term appearance of XPEL on white cars.
3) I live in Alabama and at some point the car will probably get hail damaged (high probability of crap weather during the spring, and even though I try and keep the car in the garage on bad days, I can't avoid it every time) and will require dent removal or body work. Have any of you ever filed an insurance claim for a vehicle covered in XPEL? Did your insurance provider reimburse for XPEL install?

I got a quote from the auto shop for XPEL yesterday. They haven't done an m235i before, but they just did a brand new M4 (I plan to go look at it today) and estimated the cost would be roughly the same. The shop owner quoted me $1200 for full front end (full hood, bumpers, mirrors, and fenders). What are your thoughts on the price?

Another option I've been doing is installing XPEL myself, buying the bumper kit, but then buying a bulk sheet for the hood and fenders. I've never installed XPEL myself, but I'm pretty handy and think it's something I could tackle. Have any of you tried it yourself? Good results? Bad results? Only major drawback to this is the work wouldn't be warranted.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #27
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

The Xpel material for the full coverage is like $1400 alone.

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint_...e=4&model=3812

Unless you have experience doing this, I would opt for letting a pro take care of it. It's something that takes experience and patience.

Also Xpel is supposed to be UV Resistant, so it should not yellow over time.

10 year warranty covers yellowing, blistering, pealing, etc..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #28
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

I had 3M on my car for 5 years and though it shows slight discoloration, it is not noticeable at all unless you look up close.

XPel is about average extra $500 which is almost the cost of a reapply of 3M

I choose 3M as you can always re-apply and chances of discoloration is very minor, as long as you take care of your vehicle
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 06:21 AM   #29
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

10 year warranty and if you use an approved vendor that is certified they cover labor. I know that is worth its wait in gold. I want the best protection, at 12mil this stuff is awesome. The guys that install this stuff are like artists, once you get to the complicated parts like the bumpers is where it's worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #30
samtnel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Alpine White

How much should I expect to pay for the Modesta clear coat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbundy View Post
Sorry - Modesta is a clear coating that is meant to help protect the clear coat from etching or stains. It also gives a high gloss finish that should also be easier to clean. I got it mostly to ease the cleaning/detailing work. The clear bra is more to protect from scratches and chips. I got that in the more-likely-to-be-damaged areas - bumper, rocker panel, mirror caps, fender areas, rear bumper by the trunk, by the door handles, and the edges of the door.

If you go to the shop and talk with them, or give them a call, they will go over some options and try to fit your budget. Maybe upsell a little, too.

I don't know how much it costs to repaint. You should consider whether you would rather repaint, have the original paint protected, or live with some potential chips.

JB
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #31
1985Fred
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, Renault Megane

To protect my car, I chose the F-Performance polyurethane. There are many reasons as why I chose the brand, but the main reason is that the F-Performance fil has a very good firmness, rigidness and durability such that even small stones do not leave any traces on it, and if any appear, they disappear completely from the sun's heat.
Appreciate 0