THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Why would anyone stay in a hotel?

08-31-2022, 04:12 PM   #45
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Every AirBnB/VRBO I've stayed at has had a significantly misleading ad. Maybe not to the point of outright fraud, but they are pushing a fine line for sure.

Hotels OTOH I mostly get what I expect for better or worse.

There are gems out there for sure, but policies stink around them in general. Just too much risk with them.
Appreciate 2
________4161.50
Tommy-G4504.50
      08-31-2022, 04:49 PM   #46
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

No offense, but I began to suspect that Tyga is some foreign language term for 'Troll' based on the postings.

But with a quick search I found this; good for a laugh, given the OP's tendency to post a troll-quality rhetorical Q and then slam all who disagree:

Tyga is a person who is full of love. Your beautiful emotions create harmony and balance for anyone who is lucky enough to become your friend.

Always graceful and charming when dealing with others, your emotional intelligence is very high.

Bringing people together for a common cause or to solve disagreements is part of your skills. Professionally you could become an amazing mediator. Seeing both sides of a coin let's you constantly find new perspectives to solve any and all disagreements.
It is easy to be gracious because you strive for balance. Knowing the importance of balance in your life makes you into a good negotiator.

That is also why you never close any doors so that there is room left for compromise. Creativity probably runs through your veins. It is up to you how you want to use this artistic ability.

The impression you usually give to people is that of playful elegance and safety. Even if you have a hard time with something, to the outside world you seem to be doing just fine.

People around you feel safe because you give them joy. Giving joy to the world is one of your greatest gifts.
Appreciate 3
kscarrol8949.50
________4161.50
      08-31-2022, 07:20 PM   #47
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
No offense, but I began to suspect that Tyga is some foreign language term for 'Troll' based on the postings.

But with a quick search I found this; good for a laugh, given the OP's tendency to post a troll-quality rhetorical Q and then slam all who disagree:

Tyga is a person who is full of love. Your beautiful emotions create harmony and balance for anyone who is lucky enough to become your friend.

Always graceful and charming when dealing with others, your emotional intelligence is very high.

Bringing people together for a common cause or to solve disagreements is part of your skills. Professionally you could become an amazing mediator. Seeing both sides of a coin let's you constantly find new perspectives to solve any and all disagreements.
It is easy to be gracious because you strive for balance. Knowing the importance of balance in your life makes you into a good negotiator.

That is also why you never close any doors so that there is room left for compromise. Creativity probably runs through your veins. It is up to you how you want to use this artistic ability.

The impression you usually give to people is that of playful elegance and safety. Even if you have a hard time with something, to the outside world you seem to be doing just fine.

People around you feel safe because you give them joy. Giving joy to the world is one of your greatest gifts.
What a beautiful limerick.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 10:01 PM   #48
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
We were in Maui for a week and I booked a beautiful AirBnB in Kapalua. Right on the beach (not right on the beach, but a 5 minute walk) Right next to Montage and The Ritz Carlton.

I paid $350 a night. With all of the cleaning / service charges the total was around $4K.

I was curious and the Ritz was charging $1000 a night for a STANDARD room. Literally, a basic room with no view.

Our condo had sweeping views of the ocean, nice kitchen, etc.

So what is the point of ever staying in a hotel again when you are planning a vacation? UberEats solves the room service and you can always get a daypass to a nice spa in a hotel. You can eat at the restaurants in the hotels if you really like them.

What are you getting? Daily cleaning and turndown service? That's all the value I see.
Each and every person had different tastes. For example, you like an M4 Competition. I think its way too much power and lacks rear doors. I would never think of buying one. Great car, but I don't see the value, using your words.

Moving from the car analogy to hotels: A lot of people love the Ritz. They like the level of service and the personal attention the staff is trained to provide. Personally, I'm with you. I can't see forking out 1,000 a night for a basic room with no view. I'll go a step further. I don't care for Kapalua at all. The times we've stayed there it's be colder, windier, and wetter because of the microclimate of that part of the island. Also, there are very few right-on-the-beach opportunities.

I'm glad you had a great week and loved your airbnb. In certain situations, I like airbnbs too. Family reunions. Ski trip with friends, etc. But, when my wife and I want a week or 10 days to relax in Hawaii, we want to be right on the beach and have a choice of great restaurants within easy walking distance.

For example, we were in Maui last fall and stayed in an oceanfront room for about what you paid. The restaurant is that building with the thatched room in the right of the photo. When we are in Hawaii, this is exactly what we want and we don't compromise. We've rented condos on the beach north of Black Rock in the Kaanapali area and it's fine but not quite the same as this for our taste, This photo is from our balcony at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. It's our current favorite. We went to the Westin Kaanapali and Sheraton at Black Rock for many years before discovering the charm of the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. We've stayed in Wailea, Kihei, and Kapalua and none of them scratch our itch more than this. Others hate Kaanapali Beach. Get the point. We are all different.

I'm glad you had a great time. It was clearly the correct choice for you. However, I think it's unrealistic of you to expect that a forum full of capable, smart, world travels, with means are going to just switch to airbnbs because you don't see value in hotels. To call us ignorant because you don't think we know about airbnbs is quite silly actually.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
________4161.50
omasou2093.00
      09-01-2022, 05:10 AM   #49
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I have had pretty good experiences at air BNBs.

Most of the ones I stayed at were with my
Son on a road trip. No cheap but I needed a garage .

If my wife was with us perhaps it would not have worked as well. We were fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 06:14 AM   #50
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
There are no blanket statements that cover all lodging, whether related to quality, experience or service, while referring to the same price level.

Take for example the Ritz in Philadelphia. Not very good. Mostly not great views, difficult access by car, lobby is uninspiring and service is typically Philly which means feigned attentiveness with underlying rudeness.

The Ritz Laguna Niguel on the other hand has stunning views, easy to access by car, great food and attentive staff. A completely different experience than in Phila at a comparable price level.
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2022, 06:22 AM   #51
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post

The Ritz Laguna Niguel on the other hand has stunning views, easy to access by car, great food and attentive staff. A completely different experience than in Phila at a comparable price level.
I LOVE that Ritz!
      09-01-2022, 07:37 AM   #52
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

agree with OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Tyga113257.50
      09-01-2022, 06:15 PM   #53
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I would ask, "Why would you go to Hawaii when you can go to a private resort in Jamaica for the same or less money?"
Mmmm Jamaica (Homer Simpson drooling)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 06:09 AM   #54
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

They all serve a purpose.

In your example I would much rather stay at the Ritz due to everything the property has to offer. Expansive grounds, amazing pool system, walk up beaches, bars, restaurants, spas, onsite activities for families and kids, room service and cleanings, etc. You're not paying $1K a night for a 400 sqf room, you're paying $1K a night for a 1000 acre resort. Now that's not to rip on Airbnb. Some people don't need or want that, but if I'm in Maui I'm staying at the Ritz, Grand Wailea, or Four Seasons. I was in Sedona last December and stayed at a beautiful 3000sqf AirBNB. But we had family there and the purpose wasn't to be lavished in luxury, it was to see Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Jerome, etc. A house was better suited for that.

Last edited by Manny01; 09-02-2022 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 08:10 AM   #55
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

We go to Maui often and always stay in a condo in Kihei far from the circus at Kaanapali. Sunny, relaxing, great snorkeling within 5 minutes... Agree on the hotels there. Might as well be on the Redneck Riviera (Florida panhandle / Alabama) coast if that's what you're doing. Nicer beaches there for hotels and way WAY cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 08:29 AM   #56
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
The first and last time I rented an Airbnb the house had mice that ran through the kitchen, eating food in the pantry and would wake you up at night running over your bed. We had videos and pictures and Airbnb could do nothing. ANY refund has to be approved by the owner. It is solely up to them. The only thing Airbnb could do was offer us a new location, but there was nothing available.

They also allow the owner to lengthen the resolution process passed the allotted time they allow you to leave feedback for the property. Before you know what the resolution is they close the ability for you to slam the owner. In the end I was given $200 back for a $4k rental with mice.

Never again.
THIS!!!!

They do this on purpose. I have had good and bad Airbnb experiences. My hotel experiences are always the same, while be it a bit more 'boring'. Airbnbs are good like said above if you have a group and want to cook etc. When I go on vacation I usually don't want to cook. I do that every day of my life 3x a day.

Once you get burned for thousands at an Airbnb and you have no way to make it right it can really ruin you on the experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #57
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
They all serve a purpose.

In your example I would much rather stay at the Ritz due to everything the property has to offer. Expansive grounds, amazing pool system, walk up beaches, bars, restaurants, spas, onsite activities for families and kids, room service and cleanings, etc. You're not paying $1K a night for a 400 sqf room, you're paying $1K a night for a 1000 acre resort. Now that's not to rip on Airbnb. Some people don't need or want that, but if I'm in Maui I'm staying at the Ritz, Grand Wailea, or Four Seasons. I was in Sedona last December and stayed at a beautiful 3000sqf AirBNB. But we had family there and the purpose wasn't to be lavished in luxury, it was to see Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Jerome, etc. A house was better suited for that.
The beach at the Ritz in Kapalua sucks and it's a long walk...that is what I heard from multiple people. I did hear the pool is very nice. Overall I heard it's a very mediocre property
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 09:11 AM   #58
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
The beach at the Ritz in Kapalua sucks and it's a long walk...that is what I heard from multiple people. I did hear the pool is very nice. Overall I heard it's a very mediocre property
You heard it sucks, multiple people told you it was mediocre. So the people who have first hand experience feel differently are wrong?

I honestly don't know why you start threads asking for opinions and then dismiss anyone that doesn't agree with you.

BMWGUYinCO4125.00
RickFLM411000.00
      09-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #59
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Why would ANYONE stay at hotels? Most business travel doesn't allow for stays at Airbnbs. Mixing my personal and business travel has nearly earned me lifetime gold (which means 2PM checkout) and nearly platinum status (which means 4PM checkout) with Marriott. If you travel a lot internationally, then you should know that the quality of hotels it is significantly higher than is in the US and includes some very nice perks which makes them a better offering than Airbnbs in many cases, and as well better priced. I also get a lot of free nights, butlers in some cases, free nights, suites, free food. That's why I stay at hotels.

That's why I also fly with Delta with a layover, at an American hub. I'll take upgrades, miles and free flights, and the occasional ride in a Porsche between terminals.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Last edited by e90335e36m3; 09-02-2022 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 3
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
Tommy-G4504.50
      09-02-2022, 09:32 AM   #60
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

god i love internet forums
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
      09-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #61
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
You heard it sucks, multiple people told you it was mediocre. So the people who have first hand experience feel differently are wrong?

I honestly don't know why you start threads asking for opinions and then dismiss anyone that doesn't agree with you.

We went to Myths of Maui which is a Luau and the couple next to us said that...we were chatting for an hour before the show started.

I'm not dismissing anyone but there is misinformation in this thread like Airbnb's are not safe, clean, etc. when that's really not the case anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 09:44 AM   #62
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Tried AirBnBs a number of times, was crap every time. Either the place was dirty, things didn't work, wasn't as described, or a combo of all three.

I'll take a well-rated hotel every time.
Appreciate 2
P111591.50
Tommy-G4504.50
      09-02-2022, 10:06 AM   #63
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Mmmm Jamaica (Homer Simpson drooling)
Jamaica - Once you go, you know...never to go back to that third-world cesspool ever again!!!!!
      09-02-2022, 10:48 AM   #64
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Jamaica - Once you go, you know...never to go back to that third-world cesspool ever again!!!!!
I went to Sandals Montego Bay when I was 22-ish (94/95) and stayed 10 days with my then GF and it was the nicest thing I had ever done. Dont forget 24 yrs old and back in 94.
My wife will never step foot in Jamaica. She has a conception that its garbage and not enjoyable so we have conflicting views but I get it. I also am holding on to a memory of a place from almost 30 years ago
Appreciate 1
Tyga113257.50
      09-02-2022, 03:03 PM   #65
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
My wife will never step foot in Jamaica. She has a conception that its garbage and not enjoyable so we have conflicting views but I get it.
I personally saw a PCB-filled electric transformer leaking in a banana farm grove, was solicited to buy drugs before making it one block, had fake tour guides try to collect an admission fee to see Dunn's River Falls, and watched a school-aged relative of Usain Bolt chase our van running for over a mile with his hand out looking for American Dollars. Oh, and I was only there for ten hours.....
      09-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #66
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I personally saw a PCB-filled electric transformer leaking in a banana farm grove, was solicited to buy drugs before making it one block, had fake tour guides try to collect an admission fee to see Dunn's River Falls, and watched a school-aged relative of Usain Bolt chase our van running for over a mile with his hand out looking for American Dollars. Oh, and I was only there for ten hours.....
Can’t explore in Jamaica. Need to stay in resort and where resorts take you.