THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum LTB M235i HELP!

01-17-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
vmar
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4

LTB M235i HELP!

Hey everyone!

I've been searching for an m235i for a bit now, I am pretty new with the F22 platform, and I came across with this one:

(https://www.elitecarcollection.com/d...eries/61269332).

Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...1J7C53EVW84373

I checked the CARFAX and everything looks pretty normal, it does have an "Accident Reported" which seems to be minor cosmetic damage that has now been fixed. I called the private dealership that has the car in its inventory, and asked them if I could take the car to a reputable shop to get the PPI done, but they said they does not allow that for insurance reasons. Although in order to get a PPI done he suggested I use a service called "Lemon Squad". I had not heard about this company before he mentioned it.

Anyway, all I wanted to know is everyone's input on this situation, any recommendations are appreciated.
      01-17-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
I'd be a bit skeptical if they won't allow you to do a PPI.

I haven't heard of Lemon Squad, but I'd want to take it to a shop that I trusted to look it over.

Just my opinion.
      01-17-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmar View Post
I called the private dealership that has the car in its inventory, and asked them if I could take the car to a reputable shop to get the PPI done, but they said they does not allow that for insurance reasons.
I recommend finding another car and using BIMRS.org (https://www.bimrs.org/) to locate a qualified and reputable shop for your PPI (assuming you haven't already selected a shop).
Appreciate 1
vmar1.00
      01-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmar View Post
Hey everyone!

I called the private dealership that has the car in its inventory, and asked them if I could take the car to a reputable shop to get the PPI done, but they said they does not allow that for insurance reasons. Although in order to get a PPI done he suggested I use a service called "Lemon Squad". I had not heard about this company before he mentioned it.
The shop not wanting to risk transporting the vehicle on the road to another shop isn't a dealbreaker, I can see why they wouldn't want the headache even though it's probably covered under the shop insurance. If it gets totaled, beat on, etc etc can all be headaches for a used car lot.

I checked what Lemon Squad is. My interpretation of it is it's basically a mobile mechanic service where they send someone out to check the vehicle out completely including underneath, suspension components, interior/exterior/history/roadtest weather permitting. So basically a mobile PPI, of which the company will be insured to do and the dealer is obviously willing to let them in the shop with it. I would ask/confirm if Lemonsquad comes down, will they put it up on a lift? If not they can't possibly hope to get a good look underneath unless using a jack/stands/creeper or crawling down under with a good flashlight and they would also need to shake down the front end one wheel at a time. They also scan the car for codes which I absolutely recommend that you check every module for anything. It showed $169 on the website for the level of check you would need

I bluebooked it but only got close, it seems totally base so I left out all the major option packages, but would need to dig into it in person to check all the right boxes. But the range on KBB for buying from a dealer is 19.5k-23k. So that would make that an awfully good deal. I wouldn't be overly concerned with the minor damage in the rear, that's where you would want minor damage to occur vs any other part of the car. Bumper and paint is far more ideal than quarter panel repair or unknown damage to the front end.

I would look into it. Drive it if they let you, listen for any abnormal noises, any sign of drivetrain issue. Any sign of major issue that's not in a wear item eg tire noise, wheel bearings or brakes. Listen carefully to the motor on startup and idle for any ticking outside the normal direct injection/fuel pump sounds. If it passes your initial checks and the rest of the car is visually good to you and your okay with the options, pay for the LemonSquad and see what they say. But that's a pretty rock bottom price for that car, its either a really good deal or you need to keep your eyes peeled for why its so low. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
vmar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor353 View Post
The shop not wanting to risk transporting the vehicle on the road to another shop isn't a dealbreaker, I can see why they wouldn't want the headache even though it's probably covered under the shop insurance. If it gets totaled, beat on, etc etc can all be headaches for a used car lot.

I checked what Lemon Squad is. My interpretation of it is it's basically a mobile mechanic service where they send someone out to check the vehicle out completely including underneath, suspension components, interior/exterior/history/roadtest weather permitting. So basically a mobile PPI, of which the company will be insured to do and the dealer is obviously willing to let them in the shop with it. I would ask/confirm if Lemonsquad comes down, will they put it up on a lift? If not they can't possibly hope to get a good look underneath unless using a jack/stands/creeper or crawling down under with a good flashlight and they would also need to shake down the front end one wheel at a time. They also scan the car for codes which I absolutely recommend that you check every module for anything. It showed $169 on the website for the level of check you would need

I bluebooked it but only got close, it seems totally base so I left out all the major option packages, but would need to dig into it in person to check all the right boxes. But the range on KBB for buying from a dealer is 19.5k-23k. So that would make that an awfully good deal. I wouldn't be overly concerned with the minor damage in the rear, that's where you would want minor damage to occur vs any other part of the car. Bumper and paint is far more ideal than quarter panel repair or unknown damage to the front end.

I would look into it. Drive it if they let you, listen for any abnormal noises, any sign of drivetrain issue. Any sign of major issue that's not in a wear item eg tire noise, wheel bearings or brakes. Listen carefully to the motor on startup and idle for any ticking outside the normal direct injection/fuel pump sounds. If it passes your initial checks and the rest of the car is visually good to you and your okay with the options, pay for the LemonSquad and see what they say. But that's a pretty rock bottom price for that car, its either a really good deal or you need to keep your eyes peeled for why its so low. Good luck

I mean I can see why they wouldn't want to have the car transported somewhere else, it just seemed a bit odd, but like you said its not a dealbreaker. From my search so far, this does seem to be rock bottom price for this, which seems too good to be truth but who knows. Once I check it in person then I can get a feel for the car. Thanks for your input
      01-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #6
vmar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I recommend finding another car and using BIMRS.org (https://www.bimrs.org/) to locate a qualified and reputable shop for your PPI (assuming you haven't already selected a shop).
I did have a shop selected for this car, too bad I won't be taking it there. Thanks for the website recommendation!
      01-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
vmar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
I'd be a bit skeptical if they won't allow you to do a PPI.

I haven't heard of Lemon Squad, but I'd want to take it to a shop that I trusted to look it over.

Just my opinion.
Yeah I know, they have their reasons. But it just made me a bit skeptical, specially since the PPI shop was 20min away from the dealer