THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i VS X-Drive in Automatic

05-06-2020, 10:23 PM   #243
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
A brand new Miata and $10k of performance upgrades will take down many $100k cars. It's hard to argue value for the dollar
I would rather a 90's toyota MR2...with an electric engine kit, if were talking light cars with performance upgrades that would take down many 100k cars.

similar in size and weight of a miata and arguably a lot prettier than one of that same time period.

Im considering one as my next bottomless moneypit.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:11 AM   #244
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
I have been considering Hakkis; are yours 8 or 9? MN winters and studded tires with AWD would be a joy!!

Any reason you picked one over the other?

EDIT: I had the WS90s this past winter. TANK!
Mine are Hakki 9's. IIRC, the 8 vs 9 was a 'newer model' replacement, only 9's available in our size I think (225/40-18). The real alternative choice was a studless version with about the same tread (and probably same compound?). If you can live with the sound, they are FANTASTIC - daub a little flat black primer on the stud buttons and nobody in MN will notice. I actually wished I was back in MN because we didn't really get a harsh winter and I spent more time on wet pavement than ice, but they do well on that too (plus the confidence of not worrying if it is ice underneath the wet). First weekend i had them we got an ice storm and I passed 4 cars backwards into the guardrail, one a state trooper car. I've taken them up to about 95, and in fairly tight offramp/merge ramps up to about 80; they squirm and drift more than the summers, but didn't cut loose and no lost studs. Personally I kind of liked the noise - it is akin to any other high-performance tradeoff so to me it was a bonus, like a sport exhaust in a way (but it has that cyclical spool up that I associate with a rear diff about to lunch itself, so it took a little acclimation). Didn't noticeably chew up my driveway either.

and on an unrelated note, this crack was just mean,

" I am not even talking about more money than sense here (though one can make that argument), but it does relate to a taste issue that you mentioned. "

and my tastless little 228 will be glad to show off its superiority to any miata (I cross shopped both a c and d-version - great purpose built sports cars, but I wanted a GT).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #245
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
I have been considering Hakkis; are yours 8 or 9? MN winters and studded tires with AWD would be a joy!!

Any reason you picked one over the other?

EDIT: I had the WS90s this past winter. TANK!
Mine are Hakki 9's. IIRC, the 8 vs 9 was a 'newer model' replacement, only 9's available in our size I think (225/40-18). The real alternative choice was a studless version with about the same tread (and probably same compound?). If you can live with the sound, they are FANTASTIC - daub a little flat black primer on the stud buttons and nobody in MN will notice. I actually wished I was back in MN because we didn't really get a harsh winter and I spent more time on wet pavement than ice, but they do well on that too (plus the confidence of not worrying if it is ice underneath the wet). First weekend i had them we got an ice storm and I passed 4 cars backwards into the guardrail, one a state trooper car. I've taken them up to about 95, and in fairly tight offramp/merge ramps up to about 80; they squirm and drift more than the summers, but didn't cut loose and no lost studs. Personally I kind of liked the noise - it is akin to any other high-performance tradeoff so to me it was a bonus, like a sport exhaust in a way (but it has that cyclical spool up that I associate with a rear diff about to lunch itself, so it took a little acclimation). Didn't noticeably chew up my driveway either.

and on an unrelated note, this crack was just mean,

" I am not even talking about more money than sense here (though one can make that argument), but it does relate to a taste issue that you mentioned. "

and my tastless little 228 will be glad to show off its superiority to any miata (I cross shopped both a c and d-version - great purpose built sports cars, but I wanted a GT).
You are right. That was an unnecessarily mean crack; I didn't even consider the possibility that someone may be just looking for a GT car. Makes perfect sense. My apologies

Also, thank you for the write up. I will actually do jjst that. Get Hakki 9s and throw black primer on them... doesn't it rub off though?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #246
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I was only half serious about the primer (but in theory it would probably work ok for a season). The real tell with these is the noise - coming up to a stop light or at low speeds it is unmistakable - like driving on crushed gravel, or bear claws scratching concrete. I actually kind of liked it, but I'm a geek for aggressive sounding performance bits if they really add something. If you are thinking they will give you serious legal crap about them then the unstudded ones would also be a great choice - it is a very good slush/snow pattern that looks to me like it would work better than the xice or blizzaks.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:45 PM   #247
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
I would rather a 90's toyota MR2...with an electric engine kit, if were talking light cars with performance upgrades that would take down many 100k cars.

similar in size and weight of a miata and arguably a lot prettier than one of that same time period.

Hey, I have a '92 NA MR2 racecar! They're actually a fair bit heavier (and larger) than NA miatas (200-300 lbs) at about the same power. And it shows -- it's pretty painful having the spec miatas sail past on the straights... Especially with the stock gearing -- 4th gives you a looot of time to appreciate the scenery... But they're pretty for sure!
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      05-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #248
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post

Hey, I have a '92 NA MR2 racecar! They're actually a fair bit heavier (and larger) than NA miatas (200-300 lbs) at about the same power. And it shows -- it's pretty painful having the spec miatas sail past on the straights... Especially with the stock gearing -- 4th gives you a looot of time to appreciate the scenery... But they're pretty for sure!
You mean those pop-up headlights don't make them faster???

This video/page is nearly 7 years old but damn that a pretty EV https://www.evwest.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=219
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #249
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
I bet that's a fun race car though! Definitely more challenging than a Miata and probably more rewarding too.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #250
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I bet that's a fun race car though! Definitely more challenging than a Miata and probably more rewarding too.
Oh yeah, it's a hoot -- definitely more twitchy than a Miata, and easier to spin.

I didn't quite get to the rewarding part yet though -- the original 30-year old engine threw a bearing after only a few times out. So, naturally we decided to move up a class and swap in a slightly more ambitious one, with 200 bhp -- should make it a solid ST5 car in NASA. Just fired it up for the first time last night, so pretty excited to see it back running!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 11:36 PM   #251
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah, it's a hoot -- definitely more twitchy than a Miata, and easier to spin.

I didn't quite get to the rewarding part yet though -- the original 30-year old engine threw a bearing after only a few times out. So, naturally we decided to move up a class and swap in a slightly more ambitious one, with 200 bhp -- should make it a solid ST5 car in NASA. Just fired it up for the first time last night, so pretty excited to see it back running!
Sweet! Did you go beams or 3SGTE? 200 horsepower is going to feel awesome in something that light!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 02:13 AM   #252
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sweet! Did you go beams or 3SGTE? 200 horsepower is going to feel awesome in something that light!
BEAMS redtop. Building it for endurance racing, and the 90-s turbo technology in the 3SGTE doesn't exactly scream reliable performance. The big downside is finding spare parts for the redtop -- I feel like I need a second engine sitting around just for parts. And even that won't help with unobtaniums like the stock airbox...

Anyway... no x-drive on the mr2, doubt I'll make it alive
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #253
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BEAMS redtop. Building it for endurance racing, and the 90-s turbo technology in the 3SGTE doesn't exactly scream reliable performance. The big downside is finding spare parts for the redtop -- I feel like I need a second engine sitting around just for parts. And even that won't help with unobtaniums like the stock airbox...

might as well sell me the car before it kills you. No wonder they stopped making it.
Appreciate 2
msendit421.00
Moflow2484.50
      05-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #254
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Oh man that's cool! Yeah, i'd think a BEAMS would be more reliable, more fun and ultimately a better powerplant for something you're going to be driving at the limit. Honestly, that's the dream MR2 setup IMHO. I'll always remember understeering my old celica all-trac into the ditch when the turbo spooled mid-corner (it was my first car, i learned to lift after that...)

I feel you on the spare parts, I race a shitbox in the 24 hours of lemons. My car has a pretty weak transmission that's also kinda rare. I dread the day it starts acting up...because I will never find another one.
Appreciate 1
msendit421.00
      05-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #255
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh man that's cool! Yeah, i'd think a BEAMS would be more reliable, more fun and ultimately a better powerplant for something you're going to be driving at the limit. Honestly, that's the dream MR2 setup IMHO. I'll always remember understeering my old celica all-trac into the ditch when the turbo spooled mid-corner (it was my first car, i learned to lift after that...)

I feel you on the spare parts, I race a shitbox in the 24 hours of lemons. My car has a pretty weak transmission that's also kinda rare. I dread the day it starts acting up...because I will never find another one.
My dream MR2 setup still involves the electric swap. hoping this becomes more mainstream and DIY friendly.

I am the farthest from an engineer.
Appreciate 0