THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Idrive screen problem

10-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #1
Scibike1874
Rep
Drives: Bmw Blue

Idrive screen problem

I have a 2015 228i. have been experiencing a problem with my idrive screen in that bubbling is happening on the bottom corners of both sides. I have brought the car to multiple BMW dealerships and they refuse to factory warranty replace the screen. They claim its cosmetic but are willing to get a new one for some hefty money. I am looking to get a new screen but debating on if I should try to find an oem or an android auto/apple carplay setup. For oem not sure if other models of bmw share this screen. What's the best way to get this fixed/replaced? No longer in warranty on the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
ube91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i, 2019 M2C, 2000 Z3M

Go on RealOEM and punch in your car's information. You should be able to find the screen's part number based on the build date of your car. If you want to replace it with an OEM screen, the part number must match your old one otherwise it won't work. I'd like to note that finding a used one of these screens that isn't bubbled itself already or priced absurdly high will be a challenge.

If you want an aftermarket screen, I'd recommend checking out this YouTube video on a Koason 10,25" display. It's basically an Android tablet but it also allows you to use your iDrive system. It's pretty affordable but the install is pretty involved compared to just swapping out the screen, so beware. I've heard that the Android side of this unit takes about 5 minutes to boot up and is quite laggy at times. You could probably get away with just using the iDrive system if you really want to. There are a few other screens from other companies but this one is the best documented.

I have this same issue on my 2016 228i and I've been on the search for a worthwhile solution. Right now I'm trying to see if I could use an F30 screen and swap out the backplates for a flush fit into the car. Somebody on this forum a few years ago swapped out their 6 inch screen for an F30 8 inch but I gotta find out which F30 screens are compatible for my car and if you could swap the backplates between the two. Here's a link to the thread in question.
Appreciate 0