THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Over inflated tires, hidden damage???

02-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #1
rvt1000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2070 M240ix

Over inflated tires, hidden damage???

My dealer over-inflated my tires on my brand new to me (3 day old) '17 M240i AWD. TPMS was fine (only alarms for low). I know when I sold cars for a short time every single one had it's oil and pressures checked as one of the last things before giving the keys to the customer.

Today leaving work I happen to see a rupture in the sidewall of the run-flats on the car. Still holding pressure. Start digging around idrive for the live pressures and the one in the pic is sitting at 58psi. Two of the others are around the mid 50's and the other low at 31. They should be 35fr and 39rr. I haven't hit any curbs. The wheel has no signs of damage. What else could it be???? (pic below)

Other issue is do I need to worry about the integrity of the others? All were set to normal pressures immediately. I drove maybe 60 miles on them before finding this.

Thanks all.

Any tire recommendations? Non track car... at least at this point....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:51 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Beyond the cars tire recommended pressure posted in the gas cap region / driver door sill or in the owners manual, the tire itself will have a maximum tire pressure written on the sidewall.

That maximum tire pressure posted on the sidewalk may be around 50psi. On a run flat tire not sure how high the max psi can be.

But that high psi you think effected the tires to absorb an impact ?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #3
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

If you took a picture of the iDrive pressures, you can go back to them with that and plead your case. Maybe you get lucky and find a service writer that is in a good mode and wants to keep your business. You might get a pro-rated discount on a new tire(s).
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0