THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Ways to add Carplay? New Head unit or...?

01-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #23
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i Xdrive

Carlink module

I've had the Carlink module installed for more than a month now. Nothing negative to report. In fact I ordered a generic rear camera that replaced the license plate light- and plugged it into Carlink- works like a charm, with predictive lines corresponding to steering wheel. The rear camera cost $20! Carlink was $225. MUCH cheaper than other options here on the this forum. Wireless, full screen (10 inch), adds an equalizer to the EVO unit that badly needs one. Install was fairly straight forward. I have all of the full screen wireless Carplay features. To switch to the EVO headunit for radio, I hold down the "menu" button on the idrive unit. (but why listen to radio when you have Spotify??)
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #24
oooseun
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark184 View Post
I've had the Carlink module installed for more than a month now. Nothing negative to report. In fact I ordered a generic rear camera that replaced the license plate light- and plugged it into Carlink- works like a charm, with predictive lines corresponding to steering wheel. The rear camera cost $20! Carlink was $225. MUCH cheaper than other options here on the this forum. Wireless, full screen (10 inch), adds an equalizer to the EVO unit that badly needs one. Install was fairly straight forward. I have all of the full screen wireless Carplay features. To switch to the EVO headunit for radio, I hold down the "menu" button on the idrive unit. (but why listen to radio when you have Spotify??)
Hey Mark,
do you ever get random audio stutters? Where did you mount your antenna?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #25
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooseun View Post
Hey Mark,
do you ever get random audio stutters? Where did you mount your antenna?
I don't get audio stutters. Since I tend to wear my cell phone on a holster on my belt, I mounted the antenna on the side between the shift column and the seat, and hid the wire, so it's not seen. If I am running wirelessly, which is only on short trips, perhaps I may get an occasional audio drop, but perhaps for a fraction of a second, and only one in an hour, if that often.

You should know that I when I initially installed the module, I was indeed getting quite a bit of drop out. I notified Carlink- they emailed me back with a firmware update to install. Problem solved. Here's the email with the link to the download they sent me.

The latest system version is 9.1.8. Below is download link,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Id...KdEY51_glDZeJa

Make sure you format you memory stick "Fat32".
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #26
oooseun
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't get audio stutters. Since I tend to wear my cell phone on a holster on my belt, I mounted the antenna on the side between the shift column and the seat, and hid the wire, so it's not seen. If I am running wirelessly, which is only on short trips, perhaps I may get an occasional audio drop, but perhaps for a fraction of a second, and only one in an hour, if that often.

You should know that I when I initially installed the module, I was indeed getting quite a bit of drop out. I notified Carlink- they emailed me back with a firmware update to install. Problem solved. Here's the email with the link to the download they sent me.

The latest system version is 9.1.8. Below is download link,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Id...KdEY51_glDZeJa

Make sure you format you memory stick "Fat32".

Thanks a lot! i'm in talks with them for a software update, you might have just made it much quicker!

One more thing i'm seeing is i can't see my service due dates, but i also can't set the time. i.e. the car won't auto connect to bmw online anymore. Seeing something like this?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #27
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot! i'm in talks with them for a software update, you might have just made it much quicker!

One more thing i'm seeing is i can't see my service due dates, but i also can't set the time. i.e. the car won't auto connect to bmw online anymore. Seeing something like this?
Wow... that's not right. I'm seeing nothing of the kind. Of course when I did the install, I disconnected the battery, which forced me to need to reset the EVO unit's time. Are you not able to access the original BMW menu? Remember, to switch between the Carlink display and BMW EVO display, you need to hold down the menu button on the idrive unit for 3-5 seconds. That should get you to the time setting menu.

Regarding not being able to connect with BMW online, that doesn't surprise me since according to the Carlink directions, you should turn off the Bluetooth transceiver on the EVO unit. If you've done that, then the car can't access the web through your phone... at least that's how I thought it worked!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #28
oooseun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Wow... that's not right. I'm seeing nothing of the kind. Of course when I did the install, I disconnected the battery, which forced me to need to reset the EVO unit's time. Are you not able to access the original BMW menu? Remember, to switch between the Carlink display and BMW EVO display, you need to hold down the menu button on the idrive unit for 3-5 seconds. That should get you to the time setting menu.

Regarding not being able to connect with BMW online, that doesn't surprise me since according to the Carlink directions, you should turn off the Bluetooth transceiver on the EVO unit. If you've done that, then the car can't access the web through your phone... at least that's how I thought it worked!
Yeah i don't think they're related. Carlink and my issue. i remember seeing a blank time before doing the installation. Car was in the shop before i installed it and i suspect it came back this way.

Anyway, here are my possibly unrelated idrive issues:
-Sometimes the reverse gets confused. Say i shift into R, then back to D, then back to R, the camera turns off and grays out.
-Can't auto-set the time.
-Can't manual set the time either as it erases whatever i put.
most of the connected drive portion doesn't work for me. i never used it before, but it worked before lol.
-I can't see my service intervals. i can see them i think through the dash cluster display, but only when i get a warning on startup.
-Finally, i can't see my warnings in the idrive menu.

Again, these are probably unrelated (especially because i don't see how the external module can modify idrive, it just takes control of the screen i thought), but you should ensure this functionality works for you
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:40 PM   #29
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Again, these are probably unrelated (especially because i don't see how the external module can modify idrive, it just takes control of the screen i thought), but you should ensure this functionality works for you
I can confirm I'm not experiencing any of these issues, and you're right, the module essential adds a layer of control to your screen, and output of sound to your head unit. I've experienced none of the listed problems. I'm guessing if you were to remove the module, the problems would persist... but that's the surest way of confirming it!

Another something to try. Pull the positive or negative lead from the battery. Wait a few minutes, then re-connect. This will give you a system reset, that might set things straight.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #30
oooseun
Private
Rep

Quote:
I can confirm I'm not experiencing any of these issues, and you're right, the module essential adds a layer of control to your screen, and output of sound to your head unit. I've experienced none of the listed problems. I'm guessing if you were to remove the module, the problems would persist... but that's the surest way of confirming it!

Another something to try. Pull the positive or negative lead from the battery. Wait a few minutes, then re-connect. This will give you a system reset, that might set things straight.
So i've done a negative lead reset a couple of times. Would pulling the positive off make a difference?

and Thanks! for confirming!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #31
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
So i've done a negative lead reset a couple of times. Would pulling the positive off make a difference?

and Thanks! for confirming!
No, I don't think a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #32
insanedc
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i XDrive

1/18 update:
The firmware removed 99% if the stutter. I get a very occasional,slight stutter now after the firmware update. It's not every trip, nor every day. It may have to do with how many apps I'm running on the phone as a fresh reboot yields no stutters at all.

The unit also has an EQ that has greatly improved the sound quality of the HK system.

Bottom line. I couldn't be more pleased. Unfortunately, the low res of the screen has become very evident. I would like to get a new screen. Otherwise, this is a MUCH better upgrade path for those looking to get smart phone support in their older car, or to get wireless AA support, which few 2020 cars support.

I also purchased a Carlinkit for my 2015 235 and have been very satisfied. I am using wireless Android Auto. I have gotten an occasional stutter when using wireless. I just received a new firmware update that I plan to load tomorrow to see if that goes away.

I considered replacing the entire unit with one from 4x4shop.ca, but ultimately decided that I wanted to keep the stock unit and supplement it with the Carlink unit.

Last edited by insanedc; 01-18-2020 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Update - New Info
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:36 PM   #33
oooseun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanedc View Post
1/18 update:
The firmware removed 99% if the stutter. I get a very occasional,slight stutter now after the firmware update. It's not every trip, nor every day. It may have to do with how many apps I'm running on the phone as a fresh reboot yields no stutters at all.

The unit also has an EQ that has greatly improved the sound quality of the HK system.

Bottom line. I couldn't be more pleased. Unfortunately, the low res of the screen has become very evident. I would like to get a new screen. Otherwise, this is a MUCH better upgrade path for those looking to get smart phone support in their older car, or to get wireless AA support, which few 2020 cars support.

I also purchased a Carlinkit for my 2015 235 and have been very satisfied. I am using wireless Android Auto. I have gotten an occasional stutter when using wireless. I just received a new firmware update that I plan to load tomorrow to see if that goes away.

I considered replacing the entire unit with one from 4x4shop.ca, but ultimately decided that I wanted to keep the stock unit and supplement it with the Carlink unit.
Same Man! hope to make a video of it soon!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:37 AM   #34
bstone995
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Cabrio (F23)

I've had the Avin 10.25" display for about a year now. It kind of sucked at first but they have released several updates and it has improved noticeably. I have to agree with the people saying stay OEM if you can. There are little quirks with the Android units, like audio stutters and occasional audible static when no music is playing. Although, if you're not picky, you may not really notice. It is great to save a few bucks when you can. I have decided to replace my Avin with an OEM display and one of those MMI interfaces from Bimmer-Tech, CodeMyBimmer or similar. The non-android based interfaces seem more solid. That's just my opinion.

2016 BMW F23 Cabrio
- Burger Motorsports JB4
- MishiMoto Intake
- FlowMaster
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #35
JG_Media9
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf View Post
Agreed do not go for an aftermarket solution. I reflashed my id4 to id6 because I had an NBT Evo head unit in my 2016 M2. In Australia it’s tremendously expensive to acquire an id6 headunit and spending 2k usd just for CarPlay is ridiculous. There are issues from the difference in RAM capacity but these only arise if you use BMW navigation (which I never use).

Stay OEM, it is extremely worth it.
I second this. Stay OEM and look into Bimmer Tech's option. They are LEGIT as can be
      01-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #36
JG_Media9
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstone995 View Post
I've had the Avin 10.25" display for about a year now. It kind of sucked at first but they have released several updates and it has improved noticeably. I have to agree with the people saying stay OEM if you can. There are little quirks with the Android units, like audio stutters and occasional audible static when no music is playing. Although, if you're not picky, you may not really notice. It is great to save a few bucks when you can. I have decided to replace my Avin with an OEM display and one of those MMI interfaces from Bimmer-Tech, CodeMyBimmer or similar. The non-android based interfaces seem more solid. That's just my opinion.
i literally just did the same thing with replacing my AVIN unit with an OEM 8.8".. still dont have Nav but im content as it is still a major improvement from the 6.5"..

to many little quirks for my liking with the android screen tbh
      01-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #37
insanedc
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i XDrive

That's what I was afraid of with the Avin system. I looked at the Bimmer-Tech solution and it looks IDENTICAL to the unit I purchased, except my unit supports wireless AA and Carplay. I didn't think that it was worth the extra cost (I paid around $300 on eBay, though it can be found for less).

No weirdness, and, upon further testing, no more stutters with the new firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstone995 View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #38
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

not sure if you guys have seen this: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929 (Andream wireless carplay/AA). I have this unit and it looks very similar to the carlink unit, although I don't have any audio stutters.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #39
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrchee View Post
not sure if you guys have seen this: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929 (Andream wireless carplay/AA). I have this unit and it looks very similar to the carlink unit, although I don't have any audio stutters.
I also have the Andream mmi installed. It's identical to the bimmertech offering and $370 cheaper. Also added the backup camera that was $15 vs the $300 that bimmertech sells.

It was very easy to install and Android Auto along with all the available audio apps is a nice upgrade but it doesn't mess anything up with the stock idrive system. The audio goes through the optical aux system and I have no complaints with the quality I've read about for other systems that use the aux headphone jack in the armrest console.

Last edited by grocerylist; 01-25-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:02 PM   #40
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

As noted way up above, I opted and installed Carlinkit wireless carplay option myself- $260. Added backup camera for $22. EQ from Carlinkit unit makes HK head unit sound very good. Since updating firmware, no stutters on wireless. Only nit- wireless option sometimes takes 20-30 seconds to "engage", vs plugging into the USB option is instantaneous. Sound, Waze, IM read out, Siri integration... really... for this money- strongly recommend. And even if, the few posts I've seen are true, and I need to replace the unit in 3 years... and that's an "if"... I'll still come out seriously $$ ahead by buying another Carlinkit module! Note- I'm not a Carlinkit mule!
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2020, 11:16 PM   #41
oooseun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Alright! So i ordered this unit on amazon and gave it a try myself.

IT Worked!.
I gotta say i'm really impressed. I was browsing the old forums and this guy spent $1800 to achieve the same thing. i got mine (on sale at the time) for $230. There are some kinks and i haven't tried making a call, but that'll come later.

I've had it for a day, installed it myself (which is not easy, but don't be dissuaded). More info coming later, maybe a youtube video!
Ended up making a video about it, Like Mark above, i'm very happy with it! PM if you've got any questions (or put it in here for more to learn)

Youtube Link
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #42
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I have installed the Bimmertech MMI into my 235i and love the way it works. I ordered it to be able to add an OEM style back up camera. It also has inputs for 2 HDMI, AV input and a front camera input. the system is seamless I didnt use the Bimmertech front camera at over $200 i picked up a $20 backup camera that could be switched to a front mount by cutting 2 wires to turn off the backup lines, and mirror imaging, works like a charm. I also upgraded the display to an 8.8inch out of a 3 series. I didnt spring for the carplay at the time i got the MMI, so I picked up a wifi mirroring unit from EBAY that will mirror android and apple systems and and run this through the MMI. the only problem i noticed was when pushing videos of people talking there is a slight audio lag. other than that when running google maps or streaming music everything works great.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #43
a74tiger@hotmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Yeah i don't think they're related. Carlink and my issue. i remember seeing a blank time before doing the installation. Car was in the shop before i installed it and i suspect it came back this way.

Anyway, here are my possibly unrelated idrive issues:
-Sometimes the reverse gets confused. Say i shift into R, then back to D, then back to R, the camera turns off and grays out.
-Can't auto-set the time.
most of the connected drive portion doesn't work for me. i never used it before, but it worked before lol.
-I can't see my service intervals. i can see them i think through the dash cluster display, but only when i get a warning on startup.
-Finally, i can't see my warnings in the idrive menu.

Oooseun, I am having the same issues with my idrive. Did you ever figure out how to resolve the issues? Any help would be appreciated.

“Can't auto-set the time.
-Finally, i can't see my warnings in the idrive menu. “
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #44
El Conquistador
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240 Vert - 6M as god intended

Following
Appreciate 0