THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240ix Strange Transmission Behavior?

04-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
BigBødy
Rep
Drives: '16 M235xi, '19, '21 M240xi

M240ix Strange Transmission Behavior?

Hi guys,

My 240ix does some weird stuff when I manually shift gear under throttle. Its like the transmission is slipping, it shifts, then revs up, then back down, and it's normal again. It does this within a few hundred rpms. It happens rarely, and I cant tell exactly what circumstances cause this behavior. I have never had this occur in my 235ix, which uses the same transmission. In auto the car shifts flawless, as you would expect. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:49 PM   #2
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBødy View Post
Hi guys,

My 240ix does some weird stuff when I manually shift gear under throttle. Its like the transmission is slipping, it shifts, then revs up, then back down, and it's normal again. It does this within a few hundred rpms. It happens rarely, and I cant tell exactly what circumstances cause this behavior. I have never had this occur in my 235ix, which uses the same transmission. In auto the car shifts flawless, as you would expect. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Thanks
Never had that issue in my 240ix unfortunately and I was modded. Might need to take to the dealer and tell them to drive it hard to replicate or have them do a ride along while you replicate it.

Also the 235 uses the 8hp45 and the 240 uses the 8hp50
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 01:19 AM   #3
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks
Never had that issue in my 240ix unfortunately and I was modded. Might need to take to the dealer and tell them to drive it hard to replicate or have them do a ride along while you replicate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks

If you are switching into a lower gear, this sounds like it's blipping the throttle to better match the revs of the lower gear.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayevman View Post
If you are switching into a lower gear, this sounds like it's blipping the throttle to better match the revs of the lower gear.
I bet the car has an automatic transmission as it’s an awd.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #5
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
You don't have to bet, the OP states as much
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks
I have experienced this maybe a handful of times in the 2-1/2 years that I've had the car. All the times I can think of it happening are leaving the underground parking garage at work. It's always as I am driving up the ramp, and I think it's always been after the car has been sitting all day. It happens only once during the first shift from 1st to 2nd gear. However, like I said, it's happened maybe a handful of times. I can't predict when it will happen but now you have me curious.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Take it back to the dealer

OP, take the car back to the dealer. This isn't normal behavior. There may be a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for this problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #8
BigBødy
Rep
Drives: '16 M235xi, '19, '21 M240xi

Interesting read... possible problem?

July 11, 2018 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 18V465000
Crankshaft Sensor Firmware may Cause Stall
A vehicle stall can increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V465000

Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected 5,309

Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2018 BMW 540d xDrive vehicles. The crankshaft sensor may be equipped with incorrect firmware, preventing the sensor from properly processing input from the crankshaft reluctor ring, possibly resulting in a vehicle stall.

On September 12, 2018, BMW expanded the recall to a total of 5,309 vehicles including certain 2018-2019 BMW 540d xDrive, 230i M240i, M240i xDrive........

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
I have experienced this maybe a handful of times in the 2-1/2 years that I've had the car. All the times I can think of it happening are leaving the underground parking garage at work. It's always as I am driving up the ramp, and I think it's always been after the car has been sitting all day. It happens only once during the first shift from 1st to 2nd gear. However, like I said, it's happened maybe a handful of times. I can't predict when it will happen but now you have me curious.
The behavior is so obvious, that I figured SOMEBODY had to have experienced something similar. Its not a deal breaker in any sense, but again, this has never happened to me in the 235ix. I have also noticed it seems to occur more frequently on inclines... maybe... still not sure lol...

Quote:
OP, take the car back to the dealer. This isn't normal behavior. There may be a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for this problem.
Im not gonna go out of my way to the dealer, for something that really isn't a problem. The car drives perfectly fine, and is fast as hell. Frankly, I doubt there is anything the dealer can even do about it. It will be BMW who will have to come up with a solution and fix the problem, perhaps during a service down the road. The ZF8 is a fantastic gearbox, and unfortunately not many people experience driving these cars in semi-automatic mode, or hard for that matter. What I can tell you though, is my M235 never had a hiccup. Not once. So this may be a B58 issue after all.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #9
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I bet the car has an automatic transmission as it's an awd.
Mine is automatic and does the same thing
Appreciate 0