THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Serious Tire / Alloy Rim Damage - Advice Needed!

04-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #23
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn123 View Post
Gotta love "no flat" insurance...well done Stick!

My heart goes out to you Plynth. I have been dodging the potholes (one especially nice tire killer on the 5 mile jaunt on the back roads to my home). I expect I will likely end up with Stick's solution as well, since I have such a long commute. I have had way too many flats (most of which were destroyed tires) here in New England (all on non-RFTs but low profile for sure) not to have this in my back pocket...

Good luck!
Thanks for the words of support, Unicorn. Living in CT I know you can more than relate. The guy at the tire store shared a series of horror stories about those of us in the "low profile club." I didn't want to feel better at someone else's expense, but knowing I'm far from alone has reduced self-recrimination and hand-wringing...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:49 PM   #24
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamersauce View Post
I had a run flat blow out a few days after a pot hole and went to replace it with another RF cause the other tires barely had miles on them. Down the line, I found out the wheel was cracked from that first pot hole and the tire couldn't even hold air anymore for more than a day. I wish I had upgraded sooner.
What a nightmare, Beamersauce. One outrage and indignity after another. Speaking for myself, just because I'm fortunate enough to afford a BMW, doesn't mean I have deep enough pockets to afford any kind of regular replacement of wheels and tires on TOP of the inevitable repairs. As attractive as the alloys are, far more important to me is functionality, reliability and endurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:56 PM   #25
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA View Post
The tire bubbles are a symptom of damage to the structure of the tire, where the belts separate and air leaks out. I guess it could happen to any tire, but I have seen it more on run flats I have owned. My most recent one I am sure was caused by my daughter hitting a pothole. It would have been a great teachable moment but I doubt she even remembers me squawking about driving around road hazards after she hit it.

I did blow out a regular PSS hitting a pothole in a rainstorm. Regular tires aren't immune from impact damage. My luck has just been bad with run flats.
So noted and thanks for the clarification and great detail...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #26
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Well...

Here is irony at its best; I took out my RF RFT this morning at 0550 on my way to a 0615 meeting on I-84 in Hartford. gotta love New England!

Time to buy a spare...!
Attached Images

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #27
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dude...What to say...So sorry. That's Exhibit A, B and C...
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #28
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plynth2697 View Post
Dude...What to say...So sorry. That's Exhibit A, B and C...
My regrets as well. Does provide another chance to quote one of my favorite vehicle development engineers from my car company career...

"Designers love big wheels. Engineers don't"

Low aspect ratio tire sidewalls are the bane of so many owner's existence!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #29
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys.

I have to admit I chuckled to myself after the impact (knew the tire was gone immediately) since we were just conversing about this yesterday. No comment goes unpunished...

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 07:01 PM   #30
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well...

Here is irony at its best; I took out my RF RFT this morning at 0550 on my way to a 0615 meeting on I-84 in Hartford. gotta love New England!

Time to buy a spare...!
That sucks. I was a couple of hours behind you this morning apparently. I'm glad I missed that pothole! I was a bit further away from home and I don't have run-flats!
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #31
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

I came across an article Sunday while trying to make sense of my circumstances and to find helpful opinion. It's from the online version of The Bergen Record, a leading newspaper in northern New Jersey. I found it interesting reading something written for the average suburban driver rather car forum fanatics. You know when low profile cautionary tales hit critical mass, there's something of a pandemic assault taking place on a largely unsuspecting public. Nothing we haven't learned the hard way but may be worth sharing with others... https://is.gd/PDtUrD There's a cool video that goes along with the article that will bring solace and a sense of "solidarity."

Last edited by Plynth2697; 04-24-2019 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #32
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I came across an article Sunday while trying to make sense of my circumstances and to find helpful opinion. It's from the online version of The Bergen Record, a leading newspaper in northern New Jersey. I found it interesting reading something written for the average suburban driver rather car forum fanatics. You know when low profile cautionary tales hit critical mass, there's something of a pandemic assault taking place on a largely unsuspecting public. Nothing we haven't learned the hard way but may be worth sharing with others... https://is.gd/PDtUrD There's a cool video that goes along with the article that will bring solace and a sense of "solidarity."
There is a lot of truth in that article, but this quote is not among that:

“Low-profile tires make cars ride lower to the road, so they’re naturally more vulnerable when they sink into one of these holes,” said the senior mechanic.

The outer diameter of the entire wheel/tire assembly should be maintained (or within a minuscule variation) in a +1, +2 application. The "doughnut" doesn't grow larger if the hole is bigger. There is just less doughnut around more hole. That is the same with low profile tire...more wheel, less rubber, same overall diameter/circumference (perhaps slight variation). The car doesn't "sink" to the ground. The edge of the rim is closer to the ground!

As an ex-Brooklynite, I guess one has to make allowances for what gets said in Jersey!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #33
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
As an ex-Brooklynite, I guess one has to make allowances for what gets said in Jersey!
What's said in Jersey (should) stays in Jersey? That said, thanks for clarifying that statement as it jumped out at me too, except I believed it and thought I learned something. Back to the car fanatic forums for me!

Back on point, wondering if you had an opinion on moving to 17" tires and wheels on a 2 Series, mine being the 240i.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #34
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What's said in Jersey (should) stays in Jersey? That said, thanks for clarifying that statement as it jumped out at me too, except I believed it and thought I learned something. Back to the car fanatic forums for me!

Back on point, wondering if you had an opinion on moving to 17" tires and wheels on a 2 Series, mine being the 240i.
Sure do, and it's positive, having done this myself. My original 18s are happily on another forum member's car somewhere in Florida about now. Anyway, found some very attractive BBS SR 17" wheels which clear the blue MSport calipers (got them from Tire Rack). Keep in mind the primary benefit, if you feel this way, about 18 is appearance. Another benefit, although relatively minor, is a bit of steering crispness from a shorter tire sidewall having to turn between the traction of the road and the mounting on the wheel. However, an improved tire, such as one of the UHPAS we discussed earlier will more than make up for this if downsizing to 17".

Directionally, the benefits of lower rotating mass (assuming the 17s you choose weigh less) are:

1) Improved acceleration
2) Shorter braking distance
3) Improved ride quality
4) Improved protection for the rims with more tire sidewall
5) Improved fuel economy

Admittedly, some of these changes are small, but they are directionally not harmful and actually beneficial.

As to design, I'm very happy with what BBS offers. You may prefer others, but be sure they clear the blue MSport brake calipers. Not all 17s do.

(P.S. My calipers were originally MSport blue, but were painted Valencia Orange to match the car, as were the mirror caps.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Poochie9103.00
      04-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #35
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Anyway, found some very attractive BBS SR 17" wheels which clear the blue MSport calipers
Nice.. Any idea how much they roughly weigh?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #36
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Nice.. Any idea how much they roughly weigh?
https://www.bbs-usa.com/road_wheels/...s.cfm?wheel=89

Certainly not the lightest 17s around, but in my case, the tire sidewall height on the Moonchigan lunar landscape roads was the primary motivation, and I really liked these for design.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      04-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #37
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Anyway, found some very attractive BBS SR 17" wheels which clear the blue MSport calipers (got them from Tire Rack). Keep in mind the primary benefit, if you feel this way, about 18 is appearance. Another benefit, although relatively minor, is a bit of steering crispness from a shorter tire sidewall having to turn between the traction of the road and the mounting on the wheel. However, an improved tire, such as one of the UHPAS we discussed earlier will more than make up for this if downsizing to 17"
Thanks so much for your insightful, detailed comments To begin with, your car is stunning and I'm having patters of buyer's remorse for having chosen black that I'm trying to suppress. The Valencia Orange calipers are KILLING IT! I also like your choice of wheels. Not that I'm in love with the OEM's but it is hard to find something that makes a compatible "statement." You reference losing a little "steering crispness" with 17's. As I have an Xdrive, There's very little to begin with--how concerned should I be?

Quote:
Directionally, the benefits of lower rotating mass (assuming the 17s you choose weigh less) are:

1) Improved acceleration
2) Shorter braking distance
3) Improved ride quality
4) Improved protection for the rims with more tire sidewall
5) Improved fuel economy

Admittedly, some of these changes are small, but they are directionally not harmful and actually beneficial.
I like the idea of make global improvements, even small ones. But can you help me understand the terminology, "directionally not harmful?"
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #38
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Stick,

Excellent summary and analysis. FYI, I blew out five 225-45-17 tires on my B5 S4 in about 18 months here in lovely CT a few years back. Thank goodness for forged Avus wheels...apparently karma caught up with me after 20 years of flat free driving... I will be going to 17" snows for sure but will likely stick with the square 18" setup for the summer months once I get organized this spring.

Plynth, great thread BTW. Not the way we would like to have to start a thread but a lot of good info and fun feedback.

Stick, thanks for calling out the nimrod on the low profile tires quote, that statement in the article was total rubbish. I will have to try 24" rims with 225-10-24 tires on my car. That will make it a super duper low rider... (disclaimer... folks, please do not calculate this out and hammer me, I just made this up for humorous purposes only...!).

Stick, your car is lovely. I adore that color. Nice ride.

Appreciate 1
Sportstick4648.50
      04-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #39
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

If you want some really strong but stylish rims, I suggest the M Performance 624M wheels. They're 19s but are made of forged material so it's three times stronger than a standard alloy wheel, making them less susceptible to bending or damage like the stock 235/240 wheels.

When I had my 235i, you would have to pay high-end BBS prices for wheels this light but they're available BMW MP.

I know it sounds counter-productive to suggest larger wheels for a pothole issue but being the forged wheels are lighter (20.4lbs) and stronger, they're better at withstanding heavy impact without budging. You just need some Michelin 4S tires, with Tire Rack's free road hazard tire warranty and It will just you cost some time to resolve an unfortunate tire issue..

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/Product/4...TIRE-SET-BLACK

Total pussy magnet:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #40
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You reference losing a little "steering crispness" with 17's. As I have an Xdrive, There's very little to begin with--how concerned should I be?...I like the idea of make global improvements, even small ones. But can you help me understand the terminology, "directionally not harmful?"
Thanks for your kind comments. I would not be concerned. Here's the detail. When you turn the steering wheel, that turns the wheel hub, which turns the wheel, which turns the tire, which causes the sidewall to need to flex as the middle of the tire seated on the wheel changes direction first, and then, being rubber and not inflexible steel, the tread follows on the contact patch/ground. The shorter sidewall is less flexible so the action is a bit crisper. A taller sidewall can flex more so the actual action on the contact patch is slightly delayed. Now, keep in mind, we are talking milliseconds visible microscopically. And, upgrading to the UHPAS tires should overcome this with a sidewall design/construction made to provide quick reflexes. In short, I wanted to share the minutiae of the issue, but I don't find it's a real world concern. You should feel a performance improvement with these new tires.

Secondly, sorry for my writing. As there may have been a presumption that downsizing the wheel is a loss of some kind, I was trying to mimic the conversational style of, "Not only is it not a bad thing, it's actually a good thing!" I didn't pull that off very well, but again, nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Stick, Excellent summary and analysis. ... thanks for calling out the nimrod on the low profile tires quote, that statement in the article was total rubbish. I will have to try 24" rims with 225-10-24 tires on my car. That will make it a super duper low rider... (disclaimer... folks, please do not calculate this out and hammer me, I just made this up for humorous purposes only...!).

Stick, your car is lovely. I adore that color. Nice ride.
Thanks again for the kind words.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #41
Plynth2697
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Plynth, great thread BTW. Not the way we would like to have to start a thread but a lot of good info and fun feedback.
Unicorn, I think you get co-credit on the thread for being such a good sport in recognizing a supreme irony and continuing to make great contributions!
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #42
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Poochie...nice kitty! Wheels look great as well. Thank you for the photos.

Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      04-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #43
lmf2422
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240 xdrive

Bent rims, blown tire and damaged shock

I blew out a new Michelin Pilot SS, bent 2 rims and a shock hitting a pothole during a heavy rainstorm last week in my 4 month old M240 xdrive. The killer is that I just had my 18" wheels and summer tires put on 3 weeks ago. The tire had no miles on it. Had tire insurance but had to replace the shock and get the rims straightened so I hate the 18" wheels already. Useless in Massachusetts.

BMW sold me a 17"winter wheel/ tire package when I took delivery late Nov. but the tires are 205/50/R17s. Does anyone know if the BBS SRs that Stick mentioned above take 225/45/R17s? Any other 17" wheels that will clear the calipers?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #44
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmf2422 View Post
Does anyone know if the BBS SRs that Stick mentioned above take 225/45/R17s? Any other 17" wheels that will clear the calipers?
I have 225/45-17 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires on my BBS SR 17X7½ ET35 wheels, and I expect that most tires of that size will fit on those wheels and clear the M-sport brakes. Regarding fitment, don't hesitate to check with the Tire Rack to be sure.
Appreciate 0