THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Airbag deployed on highway after road debris - no damage

04-01-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
russiandoc
Rep
Drives: none

Airbag deployed on highway after road debris - no damage

I'm driving about 65 on the interstate today and see some road debris (tire pieces) and I can't swerve in time to get out of the way and as I run it over my drivers airbag and knee airbag deploys, car fills with smokes, engine shuts off and I have to maneuver blindly on the shoulder. No visible damage to the car, bumper is perfect. WTF?! I got the car towed to BMW and will see what they say but has this happened to someone before? Think I can get BMW to cover my deductible? This doesn't seem like a proper sensor calibration.
Thank for any input.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Well, if a piece of debris hits the sensor in just the right spot and meets the velocity threshold, it can't distinguish between a piece of debris at 65mph and a collision. I think this is an unfortunate case of bad luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiandoc View Post
I'm driving about 65 on the interstate today and see some road debris (tire pieces) and I can't swerve in time to get out of the way and as I run it over my drivers airbag and knee airbag deploys, car fills with smokes, engine shuts off and I have to maneuver blindly on the shoulder. No visible damage to the car, bumper is perfect. WTF?! I got the car towed to BMW and will see what they say but has this happened to someone before? Think I can get BMW to cover my deductible? This doesn't seem like a proper sensor calibration.
Thank for any input.
Yikes!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Well, if a piece of debris hits the sensor in just the right spot and meets the velocity threshold, it can't distinguish between a piece of debris at 65mph and a collision.
I imagine the data coming from the accelerometer wouldn't have registered a collision. The car's rate of deceleration would have been consistent with whatever the driver was doing at the time with the throttle and the braking system - i.e., not with hitting something weighing thousands of pounds. Maybe in this circumstance the car doesn't care what the accelerometer is telling it.

It will be interesting to hear why this happened.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Glad you are ok. I’ve never heard of a bmw doing this but did once know someone who had a Mercedes spontaneously deploy the air bags why they were sitting at a light. Mercedes insisted that he must have hit something but luckily he had a dash cam and showed the video.

The thing you really need to be careful of is now your car could be marked on car fax with an air bag deployment which if that happens will severely effect the resale of your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:48 PM   #6
arsdentrepair
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Glad you are ok. I’ve never heard of a bmw doing this but did once know someone who had a Mercedes spontaneously deploy the air bags why they were sitting at a light. Mercedes insisted that he must have hit something but luckily he had a dash cam and showed the video.

The thing you really need to be careful of is now your car could be marked on car fax with an air bag deployment which if that happens will severely effect the resale of your vehicle.
Totally agree. I personally check the carfax and if I see any problems with airbags I simply run away. Sorry, it is bad luck.
      04-21-2019, 05:30 AM   #7
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Glad you're ok. Did the airbag hit your face/hurt?

I'd have shat myself for sure
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00