THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Factory tire PSI?

10-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #1
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Factory tire PSI?

I recently had the factory original Michelin Super Sport tires replaced with the same OEM tires and sizes (225/40 R18 front, 245/35 R18 rear).

The original tires only had 17,000 miles on them and although the rear tires still had some acceptable tread remaining and were wearing evenly, the front tires exhibited wear on both the inside and outside edges.

I ran the tires at the factory recommended 32 PSI front and 38 PSI rear, but from what I saw on the front tire wear, my thinking is that they were a bit under inflated. I don't drive the car aggressively or track it, but occasionally hang a few corners when on country roads - nothing fierce.

With my new set of Michelin Super Sports, I decided to break from tradition and run the fronts at 35 PSI while keeping rear tires at the factory placarded 38 PSI.

Just wondering what other experiences might be when it comes to trying different tire pressures.

One other thing: I did have the leaking lower control arms replaced at the same time as the tires. Previous annual services always showed good alignment, but who knows.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
With my new set of Michelin Super Sports, I decided to break from tradition and run the fronts at 35 PSI while keeping rear tires at the factory placarded 38 PSI.

Just wondering what other experiences might be when it comes to trying different tire pressures.
Until recently, I ran 35F/39R as recommended on the car's door sticker for the original staggered PSS'.

I'm now running 35 psi all around on PS4S', and the car feels more of a piece. However, I have a bunch of modifications, too, including the same size tires front and rear.

If I was taking an interstate road trip, I'd probably raise them to 38 psi and see what it did for the car's mileage.

My thinking is that it doesn't hurt to experiment if you're able to sense how the tires are responding to the pressures you're setting them to. That's not hard to do if you've got some place where you can lean on the car and see how it responds in both the front and the rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 08:51 AM   #3
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I run 34/37 on my PS4S, works well for me - just got back from a 627mile weekend road trip into NY mountains for a break from them monotony of working from home. Some of those mountain roads I pushed pretty hard and car was solid. Unfortunately by month end it will be winter tire season
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0