THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Millway camber plates

06-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
SkyeC
Too many cars, not enough time
Rep
Drives: 17 m240i

Exclamation Millway camber plates

Hi all,

Installed a set of Millway street camber plates and got it aligned yesterday.

-2F/-1.5R, streetable toe settings. Stock adaptive suspension; I plan to leave it this way for quite some time and wait to upgrade to Ohlins.

These are the plates w/ the poly bushing instead of a spherical bearing, which should increase longevity and not present significant NVH.

Post-install, turn-in is much better and at the track, should see reduced shoulder wear as most have found at low amounts of negative front camber.

There is still another degree or degree and a half left to get out of these plates if needed, but for my car, will probably not go down that route.

Attached Images

Last edited by SkyeC; 06-06-2020 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 2
AmuroRay2165.00
harry.h65.50
      06-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
Devil doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeC View Post
Hi all,

-2F/-1.5R, streetable toe settings. Stock adaptive suspension; I plan to leave it this way for quite some time and wait to upgrade to Ohlins.
These are the plates w/ the poly bushing instead of a spherical bearing, which should increase longevity and not present significant NVH.
How are you liking the camber plates on the street?

I wanted to get the same version; I but couldn’t find a real world review. One of my strut tops is clicking and rattling a little bit, so I figured I would replace them with these camber plates since I was going to have to get in there anyways. Love your set up, super clean! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 12:06 AM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all,

Congrats! I see we're both in the 925. Maybe I'll spot your ride around sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil doc View Post
How are you liking the camber plates on the street?

I wanted to get the same version; I but couldn’t find a real world review. One of my strut tops is clicking and rattling a little bit, so I figured I would replace them with these camber plates since I was going to have to get in there anyways. Love your set up, super clean! Thanks
These plates are pretty good on the street. The increase in NVH isn't much, and on a rough stretch of road I measure on, I saw an increase in noise between 2-3dBa. There aren't any obvious thunk/clunking noises created, unless you're spending a lot of effort to really concentrate and listen for it. Otherwise, they aren't salient.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      06-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
Devil doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
These plates are pretty good on the street. The increase in NVH isn't much, and on a rough stretch of road I measure on, I saw an increase in noise between 2-3dBa. There aren't any obvious thunk/clunking noises created, unless you're spending a lot of effort to really concentrate and listen for it. Otherwise, they aren't salient.
I appreciate the reply, My driver’s side strut top is rattling a bunch, I’m assuming the bearing is shot, and I wanted to jump on a set of Street friendly camber plates to replace those. I’ll place an order soon. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
SkyeC
Rep

Nice... I'm over in Dublin, usually only take the car out on days off or quick runs around town.

For the NVH, I haven't really noticed anything. I have a random rattle/interior buzz but I'm not sure if it's related. Somewhere around the mirror/dome light cluster. It's only at certain speeds/environments so a pain to chase down.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice... I'm over in Dublin, usually only take the car out on days off or quick runs around town.

For the NVH, I haven't really noticed anything. I have a random rattle/interior buzz but I'm not sure if it's related. Somewhere around the mirror/dome light cluster. It's only at certain speeds/environments so a pain to chase down.
Cool, really close then. I'm right over the fwy in P-town.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
opvaulet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Quote:
Congrats! I see we're both in the 925. Maybe I'll spot your ride around sometime.

I wish I had as good luck with these street Millways. The concept is great. I have taken them off because of the clunking that isn’t supposed to happen with the poly bushings. The lack of other NVH was impressive, but the clucking was annoying. Disappeared when reverted to OEM TOP mounts. They didn’t answer my emails for help either.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opvaulet View Post
I wish I had as good luck with these street Millways. The concept is great. I have taken them off because of the clunking that isn’t supposed to happen with the poly bushings. The lack of other NVH was impressive, but the clucking was annoying. Disappeared when reverted to OEM TOP mounts. They didn’t answer my emails for help either.
Wow, that's super weird! Samuel has always replied to me and others I know within 24hrs. I wonder what about yours was clunking. The washer that mounts to the damper piston has no contact to other metal on mine. I wonder if for some reason there was a defect on yours where it was making contact, or if the camber slider mechanism itself had some play.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
SkyeC
Rep

Same, I don't have any clunking. Maybe your springs weren't clocked correctly on the strut and were shifting around?

The OEM roller bearing is used so there really isn't much to clunk around with these.
      06-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #10
opvaulet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that's super weird! Samuel has always replied to me and others I know within 24hrs. I wonder what about yours was clunking. The washer that mounts to the damper piston has no contact to other metal on mine. I wonder if for some reason there was a defect on yours where it was making contact, or if the camber slider mechanism itself had some play.
Thanks FaRKle! By the way I follow and love all your research on these cars. Thank you for responding to my post!

Yes I was an early adopter and the concept is brilliant, and so is the build quality of the plates. But I couldn’t get help to solve this problem other than an initial response of checking the tightness of the TOP nut and removing a washer that had been put under it. I had Different mechanics put in and take out the plates without success. I am puxpzzled because like you, I don’t actually see anything that can actually move to make a noise. But I had the noise. The only other possibility are that the new Koni Special actives are themselves very noisy. But with the OEM mounts refitted they are as silent as a mouse.

I do have to share one thing...when I put my finger on TOP of the strut and then do the bounce test I do feel clicking. Annoying thing is the the extra camber allowed by the plates do transform the handling.

Stumped.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #11
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks FaRKle! By the way I follow and love all your research on these cars. Thank you for responding to my post!

Yes I was an early adopter and the concept is brilliant, and so is the build quality of the plates. But I couldn’t get help to solve this problem other than an initial response of checking the tightness of the TOP nut and removing a washer that had been put under it. I had Different mechanics put in and take out the plates without success. I am puxpzzled because like you, I don’t actually see anything that can actually move to make a noise. But I had the noise. The only other possibility are that the new Koni Special actives are themselves very noisy. But with the OEM mounts refitted they are as silent as a mouse.

I do have to share one thing...when I put my finger on TOP of the strut and then do the bounce test I do feel clicking. Annoying thing is the the extra camber allowed by the plates do transform the handling.

Stumped.
Did you get the gold beta version? Another thing I thought of is if the cavity for the polyurethane and metal washer is oversized and the polyurethane/washer stack can wiggle around before being supported by the camber plate structure.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #12
opvaulet
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Did you get the gold beta version? Another thing I thought of is if the cavity for the polyurethane and metal washer is oversized and the polyurethane/washer stack can wiggle around before being supported by the camber plate structure.
Thank you FaRKle for the suggestion. Will check and update on your suggestion!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 07:38 PM   #13
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Thank you FaRKle for the suggestion. Will check and update on your suggestion!
Realize this is an old post, but any update to your issue? Or did you just revert back? Thinking of picking up the street version for my M2C, but only if knocking/clunking is reduced over the spherical version.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #14
Rotorav8r
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i ‘16

Just another data point. I have these camber plates and they have been great! Minimal change in NVH. I’ve had them for about almost two years and have 12 track events with no issue.
      07-19-2022, 08:09 PM   #15
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Got Millway Street camber plates installed and here is the result. I will get to test them at Watkins Glen in early August. They are quiet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 08:50 PM   #16
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
Got Millway Street camber plates installed and here is the result. I will get to test them at Watkins Glen in early August. They are quiet.
If you have points of comparison that you can share after your event, please let us know what difference your improvements have made while exiting T1, the Toe, and T10.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 09:24 PM   #17
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
If you have points of comparison that you can share after your event, please let us know what difference your improvements have made while exiting T1, the Toe, and T10.
Sorry, this will be my first time at the Glen. So any comparison will have to be based on feel only.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      07-19-2022, 11:01 PM   #18
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

I’ve had these installed for almost a year now and love them. I wrote a review right after installation saying the NVH sounded like faint muted rattling of a golf bag coming from under the hood. It has stayed exactly the same but it’s so subtle I only ever notice it if I’m really listening for it. I’ve found the Millways paired with poly LCA and TA bushings, 245 tires up front and a 0° toe alignment really make the steering feel *closer* to a hydraulic rack without sacrificing comfort. I’ve spent a day with an M2 C and it didn’t feel any better.
      07-22-2022, 02:29 PM   #19
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'll need new tires after Watkins Glen. I have 235s in the front now, but I would like to try 245s now that I've got the extra negative camber. The inside of the tires are really close to the strut now with -2.5 degrees. I think I'll need larger spacers. Currently running Apex EC-7 18x8.5" ET45, 3mm spacer, 235/40-18 MP4S

Last edited by MassNerd; 07-22-2022 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 04:39 PM   #20
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
I'll need new tires after Watkins Glen. I have 235s in the front now, but I would like to try 245s now that I've got the extra negative camber. The inside of the tires are really close to the strut now with -2.5 degrees. I think I'll need larger spacers. Currently running Apex EC-7 18x8.5" ET45, 3mm spacer, 235/40-18 MP4S
I don't know how close too-close is, but when you're in a turn the tire moves away from the strut. (I think you know that but wanted to mention it just in case. )
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 09:33 PM   #21
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I don't know how close too-close is, but when you're in a turn the tire moves away from the strut. (I think you know that but wanted to mention it just in case. )
It's probably ~1mm away now so I'm 99% confident a wider tire would touch the strut. So to clarify, yes the current setup is fine, but very close.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 03:20 PM   #22
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Is anyone getting a rattle noise with the street plates? They were quiet at first, but the rattle has gotten gradually louder since the install. I've checked for anything loose, my mechanic has checked and not found anything loose. I even had the dealer check it but they just advised "you need new struts" which doesn't seem to be the case (can a strut even rattle internally? Sure it could rattle at the mount).
Appreciate 0