THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes My nightmare experience getting Dinan Springs installed- FINAL UPDATE 12/01/15

08-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #23
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
I don't know if his LA is Louisanna or Los Angeles, but most of the California BMW dealers are also licensed Dinan dealerships as well.
True.

You'd hope that a Dinan dealership would be able to get one of their techs to look at it, they'd probably immediately spot the issue and fix it. The issue doesn't seem like it'd be hard to spot. Worst comes to worst if they don't find it, take the corner off and re-do it. As others have stated too, I'm sure the spring's upside down or something..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #24
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

I am not sure why OP is avoiding a Dinan dealer, the Dinan warranty should exactly be for something like this, if the previous shop installed the parts incorrectly, I am sorry, but then they are liable for those repairs as well, that would be a case for lawyers, but if the installation was correct, and the failure is due to the part, from what I have heard, Dinan is typically pretty good at taking care of their customers.

I think in general, it is important to have some sort of relationship with your SA before bringing a modded a car etc. Thankfully the dealership I go to is pretty friendly towards this kind of stuff, they even have a supercharged E92 M3 that is their "shop" car that they send out to different events, including M Fest etc.
      08-26-2015, 09:59 PM   #25
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i

Called Dinan yesterday and I have not even heard back yet. Will call again tomorrow. I will also make an appointment with Center BMW or Mckenna depending on which will be willing to provide a loaner vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #26
s1uma1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235eye View Post
Called Dinan yesterday and I have not even heard back yet. Will call again tomorrow. I will also make an appointment with Center BMW or Mckenna depending on which will be willing to provide a loaner vehicle.
Center bmw is good. The service advisor, Paul, is really nice... And also a car guy. I had my Dinan stage 2 installed there
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #27
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

That's a horrible position OP, hope you find a resolution. But here's a quote from dinan regarding installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
You will retain warranty coverage from Dinan even if the install is done at a non-Dinan dealer. The only thing we would not warrant is improper installation so if the installing non-Dinan party effed something up due to a bad installation we wouldn't pay for their mistake whereas a Dinan dealer is essentially vouched for and will be forced to take responsibility for any improper installation.

In regards to the quoted times for suspension goods in particular we are in a bit of a quandary whereas that is concerned as there are established labor times done by BMW and since we in the dealerships we have to fall in line with their labor times as well. Do we always agree with them, no, but we have to play nice and by the rules. You can always negotiate. =)
      08-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #28
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1uma1 View Post
Center bmw is good. The service advisor, Paul, is really nice... And also a car guy. I had my Dinan stage 2 installed there
Took your advice and made an appt with Paul. Once I heard his voice over the phone I quickly realized he was my SA when he was working at BHBMW.

UPDATE: Received a phone call from Dinan and was told to take vehicle to Dinan BMW service center to check things out. Going in Monday.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #29
s1uma1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Took your advice and made an appt with Paul. Once I heard his voice over the phone I quickly realized he was my SA when he was working at BHBMW.

UPDATE: Received a phone call from Dinan and was told to take vehicle to Dinan BMW service center to check things out. Going in Monday.
awesome. hope you had a good experience with him in the past. where's bhbmw?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #30
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
awesome. hope you had a good experience with him in the past. where's bhbmw?
Beverly Hills BMW = bhbmw
Located in L.A
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #31
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep

Dropped off vehicle at Center BMW yesterday and before they even started inspecting the shop foreman came out for a drive so I can replicate the noises. On top of that, Paul had me go to Enterprise where they covered the cost of the rental. Paul is truly awesome. Unfortunately for most people, if you go to BHBMW and do not make a reservation 2 weeks ahead, your chances of getting a loaner are very low. They do not cover the cost of a rental if you go with a company like enterprise except in rare circumstances.

Received a call a few hours ago from my SA @ Center and he told me that the installation was performed incorrectly on both the front shock towers.
Will update as I find solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #32
s1uma1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dropped off vehicle at Center BMW yesterday and before they even started inspecting the shop foreman came out for a drive so I can replicate the noises. On top of that, Paul had me go to Enterprise where they covered the cost of the rental. Paul is truly awesome. Unfortunately for most people, if you go to BHBMW and do not make a reservation 2 weeks ahead, your chances of getting a loaner are very low. They do not cover the cost of a rental if you go with a company like enterprise except in rare circumstances.

Received a call a few hours ago from my SA @ Center and he told me that the installation was performed incorrectly on both the front shock towers.
Will update as I find solution.
Great, hope everything works out for you! If you see paul, say hi to him for me (brian with the white m235i dinan stage 2) =)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #33
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep

Just got home from Center with some good and some bad news.

The bad news is that the techs at Center found nothing wrong with the front right corner where the squeaking was coming from. My SA told me to have BHBMW fix the issue on the front left corner and then get back to him. I am just as confused as anyone else on this issue.

The good news is that the techs at Center did in fact find an issue on the front left shock tower. I believe the coil was misaligned. I got it in writing and I am taking it to BHBMW for them to repair it as it was clearly a poor install job.

I called Dan at Dinan and waiting for a call back so I can update him as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #34
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

its pretty hard to misalign on stock plates (ie not camber) the spring sits in a perch that is concave to hold it in place. The lower part sits on a carrier on the shock, that is also molded.

Dinans springs are the same as oem on the bottom, top is slightly different. If you had all 4 wheels of the ground you may have had to locate the spring, but doubtful. If the spring was off slightly the car would also pull left or right depending. It would also have mismatched ride height.

Sometimes the dust boot could be bound, thats all I could think of, or the shock mounts were not 100 percent tightened.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #35
Pparana
Captain
Rep

also when you take it back, the dinan writing should be facing out and up, ie you can read it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #36
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
its pretty hard to misalign on stock plates (ie not camber) the spring sits in a perch that is concave to hold it in place. The lower part sits on a carrier on the shock, that is also molded.

Dinans springs are the same as oem on the bottom, top is slightly different. If you had all 4 wheels of the ground you may have had to locate the spring, but doubtful. If the spring was off slightly the car would also pull left or right depending. It would also have mismatched ride height.

Sometimes the dust boot could be bound, thats all I could think of, or the shock mounts were not 100 percent tightened.
I was just going off my poor memory. The write up was not in my hand when I posted earlier.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #37
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Go see Charlie@McKennaBMWService
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 11:39 PM   #38
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
Go see Charlie@McKennaBMWService
What makes you think he will actually take care of me?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #39
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep

UPDATE

Went to BHBMW yesterday for my appointment. The SA took the write-up Center BMW provided me and showed it to the service manager. He got back and told me their location will not touch my car because:

A) They were not supposed to install the springs in the first place (how that make them not liable to back their own installation, I do not know).

B) I called BMW to help rectify this after the same Service Manager refused me the first time

and

C) It would be the Service GM's call at this point and he will not be in until the following Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 12:02 AM   #40
s1uma1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Went to BHBMW yesterday for my appointment. The SA took the write-up Center BMW provided me and showed it to the service manager. He got back and told me their location will not touch my car because:

A) They were not supposed to install the springs in the first place (how that make them not liable to back their own installation, I do not know).

B) I called BMW to help rectify this after the same Service Manager refused me the first time

and

C) It would be the Service GM's call at this point and he will not be in until the following Tuesday.
That sucks. Sounds like basically "not our problem"... That blows. Hope things get worked out soon
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #41
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sucks. Sounds like basically "not our problem"... That blows. Hope things get worked out soon
Nothing small claims court cannot fix. When they realize their attorney fees alone will be far greater than the repairs, they will wake up.
This is my last resort of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #42
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235eye
Quote:
Nothing small claims court cannot fix. When they realize their attorney fees alone will be far greater than the repairs, they will wake up.
Lets us know how this turns out. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #43
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
May I make a suggestion?

Take it to a Dinan dealer, have the springs installed properly, parts damaged replaced.

Send a certified letter with all the information to the dealer that installed, preferably to the owner or GM. Give them 30 days to reimburse you.

Then if you cant make an arrangement I guess small claims court.

Really they are two separate matters, but I would get everything fixed at a Dinan dealer so you have the Dinan warranty.

I have only dealt with Dinan once and they were great, I am sure if you email or call them they will recommend a shop and will probably work with you to solve it. I am sure they would want to know if a BMW dealer is installing there parts and is not authorized. It creates a headache for them and you.

Understandably you thought they would do it right.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #44
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
This is just insane really. A BMW dealer can't properly install springs that are specifically designed by Dinan for said car? And you'd think that since you were an employee there they would correct their mistake and sweep the whole thing under the carpet. Good luck to you on this whole issue
Appreciate 0