THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Active Tourer Discussions BMW 2 Series Active Tourer [Official Thread] - Specs, Wallpapers, Photos, Videos

02-14-2014, 12:52 AM   #89
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

For what it's worth, it doesn't look half bad. You can only make that config look so good. Just no M badges please and we'll try really hard to look the other way.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #90
Leo88
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E92 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid21177
LOL - 130hp with m-sport package
Let's talk about a debadged 143hp 518d in Msport trim that look identical to a 528i or a 530d but costs 15k less. That's the real ultimate driving machine!

If you prefer a RWD minvan go buy the i3. If you don't want a minivan at all buy a 3er, i don't see the point of all this criticism.
The things that should makes us thinking about is the shared platform between 3,4,5,6,7 and x models. To me that means a bigger 3/4, an increased price and no small RWD cars, and this sucks.
      02-14-2014, 01:24 AM   #91
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall
I don't understand the hate towards this model.

You all sound like BMW will stop making all those great rwd and M cars from now on. This is just an extension of their portfolio.
BMW never offered a similar car so with this they have a real opportunity to snatch some customers who would normally buy a Mercedes B-Class or maybe a Golf Plus.

I also don't get why everyone compares it to a Golf. It is obviously much higher and therefore has to be compared with the Golf Plus (or Golf Sportsvan as it's now called)

I think everyone who thinks BMW lost their minds over this one should reconsider and maybe think a bit harder. This model will increase profit and bring new customers to the brand. It will ensure that in the future they still can build all those great sporty cars that they're know for.
Part of why this car had to come was probably because all automakers are being pushed to bring more economical and efficiant cars to the market.
And if you've got one more in your portfolio, then you don't have a problem building the next M3, M4 or whatever high performance car one'd like.

Seriously chill out people. I think everyone damning the brand over this one car is very narrow minded. Just look at Mercedes for example. With the B-Class and things like the GLK they build some of the most boring old person cars money can buy.
And you know what? They still build those lovely intoxicating AMG cars. It never hurt the brand.
The small models just help ensure that the small production volume cars can still be built and still be made as awesome and mental as we know.
Because people fear change of direction and moreover unknowns.

So what people don't get or relate to they hate.

It's fear based. Nothing more.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #92
MikeRR
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
It will sell very well in my opinion. But honestly I don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:31 AM   #93
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
There once was a great car manufacturer who produced a 3 series, a 5 series, a 7 series, a 6 series coupe, and two SAVs. Many of these wonderful sporty cars came with a very durable, elegant n/a inline 6. The End! This company is no more. Now they make Minivans, electric toasters and put 3 cylinder engines in cars. I am truly very sad
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #94
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
More room? More luxury and refinement? Smoother drivetrain? More prestige? Brand loyalty/preference? Fuel economy?
The styling/interior/refinement of the new 2015 Golf R is excellent, you can see some Audi influence. 290hp, dual clutch transmission, and awd far out way any of that nonsense. Oh and it is said to get 33 mpg.

A mini-van fwd BMW, oh that just screams prestige. LOL

Brand Loyalty - in other words "badge whoring"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Yeah...an estimated $40k+ for a VW Golf? No thanks...
Won't be $40k in the US.

I suppose you feel better paying $40k for a Mini with a BMW badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
In other words, more BORING.
Yup
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:10 AM   #95
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

That is hideous!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:50 AM   #96
Harold Wood
Chopperphoto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Loadsabimmers

Talking Alpina Active Tourer

I like it, now lets have some fun

http://roger-lighterness.artistwebsites.com/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:54 AM   #97
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, F20

"the harmoniously proportioned Active Tourer oozes sportiness from every angle"

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:55 AM   #98
pt9507
M3 of the month(05/13)
Canada
Rep
Drives: BW E92 M3

I will buy this rather than the i3 for a daily dirve... This 2 series AT might be a good choice if the price is fair

Akrapovic | AC Schnitzer | Brembo | BMW Performance | Dinan | Exotics | iND
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:17 AM   #99
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

The pick-ups are coming, the pick-ups are coming!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:20 AM   #100
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

the front is hideous! A rat's face. Waiting for the LCI for another 3 or so years. Otherwise ok.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:21 AM   #101
MikeRR
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
I don't understand the hate towards this model.

You all sound like BMW will stop making all those great rwd and M cars from now on. This is just an extension of their portfolio.
BMW never offered a similar car so with this they have a real opportunity to snatch some customers who would normally buy a Mercedes B-Class or maybe a Golf Plus.

I also don't get why everyone compares it to a Golf. It is obviously much higher and therefore has to be compared with the Golf Plus (or Golf Sportsvan as it's now called)

I think everyone who thinks BMW lost their minds over this one should reconsider and maybe think a bit harder. This model will increase profit and bring new customers to the brand. It will ensure that in the future they still can build all those great sporty cars that they're know for.
Part of why this car had to come was probably because all automakers are being pushed to bring more economical and efficiant cars to the market.
And if you've got one more in your portfolio, then you don't have a problem building the next M3, M4 or whatever high performance car one'd like.

Seriously chill out people. I think everyone damning the brand over this one car is very narrow minded. Just look at Mercedes for example. With the B-Class and things like the GLK they build some of the most boring old person cars money can buy.
And you know what? They still build those lovely intoxicating AMG cars. It never hurt the brand.
The small models just help ensure that the small production volume cars can still be built and still be made as awesome and mental as we know.
You are 100% right sir.

And concerning the Alpina -nice one but this will not happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:29 AM   #102
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
My two points of objection are:
1) why use the 2-Series nomenclature when this car has no sporting pretensions, it is FWD and an MPV. While the odd/even numbers nomenclature makes absolute sense (at least to me), odd numbers being family oriented vehicles and even numbers being sport oriented vehicles, giving this the 2-Series nomenclature makes no sense at all and generally kind of makes a mockery of it.

Since BMW have no intention to offer additional vans than Active Tourer and its LWB version: the Gran Tourer, there would be illogical to start a new series (eg. F-series, V-series, E-series etc).

Therefore only two alternatives were possible: to put 1er or 2er badge on the Active Tourer / Gran Tourer.

BMW opted for 2er badge - officially due to Active Tourer / Gran Tourer is larger and more expensive than 1er, and the nomenclature oozes that.

But the real reason is: BMW are making space for the sub-1er series.

Currently the 2er Coupe & 2er Active Tourer are badged as 2er - soon be followed by 2er Convertible & 2er Gran Tourer (= LWB version of Active Tourer).

The next generation of 1er will also be based on FWD platform (named "UKL"), and will also come with additional versions beside 3dr & 5dr hatch ... and it will be rebadged to 2-series!

So, the 1er badge will be available for a smaller BMW-badged MINI-sized car - a direct rival to Audi A1.

This also indicates that in the future X1 (most likely the Mk3 X1) will be rebadged to X2. Possible 3dr SAC version of a small BMW SAV will be marketed under the "xCoupe" trademark. X4 & X6 & possible X8 will retain the even nomenclature for the SAC versions of the X3 / X5 / X7 SAVs.

Regarding RWD platform: everything from 3-series & up (incl the midsized & full-sized SAV & SAC models) will be based on the new highly modular multi-material RWD platform. Only the RR Phantom family will feature dedicated all-aluminum platform & body frame.

Everything under 3er will be based on FWD UKL platform in the future (1er, 2er, X1 etc) - including all the MINI models (possible sub-MINI model - based on Rocketman Concept - will be based on a shrunken UKL0 platform but BMW seeks a partner for this particular project).

All the platforms are AWD compatible & plug-in hybrid compatible. So, there will be technically possible every MINI & BMW model can get an AWD or plug-in hybrid version in the future.

Not to mention the modular platforms will be extremely profitable - especially combined with modular engine platforms.

Right now BMW Group has plans to put (at least) 15 models on "UKL" FWD platform, and (at least) 30 models on "35up" RWD platform.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:38 AM   #103
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Don't like the design and looks expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:45 AM   #104
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

I get the idea of expanding / cater to wider audience but ;

it looks hideous
UK prices place it around a base 3 series

I don't get why anyone would buy this over a 3 series / x1 since they cost the same
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 04:05 AM   #105
Leo88
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E92 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by taleb View Post
I get the idea of expanding / cater to wider audience but ;

it looks hideous
UK prices place it around a base 3 series

I don't get why anyone would buy this over a 3 series / x1 since they cost the same
X1 and 3er customers are a different target. This car is for who now buys B-class, Golf Plus, Ford C Max or the Ranult Scenic.
      02-14-2014, 04:19 AM   #106
Jai 302
Banned
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFreaky View Post
It reminds me of this
Someone please show this to the CEO who has plagued BMW ever since he stepped foot in the company.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #107
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

it looks identical to an A class Mercedes Benz.

Absolutely Hideous
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 04:30 AM   #108
BMW-ALPINA
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50, F11 M550d, E70 X5

Garage List
2009 730dA  [0.00]
It actually looks not too bad. What I am most surprised about is why it is named as a 2-series and not 1-series. Or how about a V-series as it has been speculated since the 2000's.

It annoys me that BMW suck when it comes to LED technology. Audi and Mercedes put LEDs in everything and all models, while BMW does not do this. C'mon BMW. We live in 2014!!.

And when we get to see some decent entisuast cars that compete with MB SLS/R8 (do not try to say i8), MB AMG GT, MB S-Class coupe + + + Wake up BMW!!!! Mercedes and Audi will be the leaders in just few years.

EDIT: And what the hell is that cheap-looking-Peugeot Head-up Display??

Last edited by BMW-ALPINA; 02-14-2014 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 04:39 AM   #109
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

IMHO, This looks silly.
---
Just curious: why buying this over well established offerings from merc\vw?
      02-14-2014, 04:47 AM   #110
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnI View Post
Since BMW have no intention to offer additional vans than Active Tourer and its LWB version: the Gran Tourer, there would be illogical to start a new series (eg. F-series, V-series, E-series etc).

Therefore only two alternatives were possible: to put 1er or 2er badge on the Active Tourer / Gran Tourer.

BMW opted for 2er badge - officially due to Active Tourer / Gran Tourer is larger and more expensive than 1er, and the nomenclature oozes that.

But the real reason is: BMW are making space for the sub-1er series.

Currently the 2er Coupe & 2er Active Tourer are badged as 2er - soon be followed by 2er Convertible & 2er Gran Tourer (= LWB version of Active Tourer).

The next generation of 1er will also be based on FWD platform (named "UKL"), and will also come with additional versions beside 3dr & 5dr hatch ... and it will be rebadged to 2-series!

So, the 1er badge will be available for a smaller BMW-badged MINI-sized car - a direct rival to Audi A1.

This also indicates that in the future X1 (most likely the Mk3 X1) will be rebadged to X2. Possible 3dr SAC version of a small BMW SAV will be marketed under the "xCoupe" trademark. X4 & X6 & possible X8 will retain the even nomenclature for the SAC versions of the X3 / X5 / X7 SAVs.

Regarding RWD platform: everything from 3-series & up (incl the midsized & full-sized SAV & SAC models) will be based on the new highly modular multi-material RWD platform. Only the RR Phantom family will feature dedicated all-aluminum platform & body frame.

Everything under 3er will be based on FWD UKL platform in the future (1er, 2er, X1 etc) - including all the MINI models (possible sub-MINI model - based on Rocketman Concept - will be based on a shrunken UKL0 platform but BMW seeks a partner for this particular project).

All the platforms are AWD compatible & plug-in hybrid compatible. So, there will be technically possible every MINI & BMW model can get an AWD or plug-in hybrid version in the future.

Not to mention the modular platforms will be extremely profitable - especially combined with modular engine platforms.

Right now BMW Group has plans to put (at least) 15 models on "UKL" FWD platform, and (at least) 30 models on "35up" RWD platform.
Wow, OK this makes clear sense now. So it confirms the next 2-Series will be FWD indeed. I thought everything below the 2-Series would be FWD.

So, in essence BMW will only work with two (modular) platforms in the future. One FWD and one RWD. I'm not sure a shared platform between a 3-Series and an 8-Series can work without compromises. And I'm curious to see how many variations the next generation FWD 2-Series will spawn. 3-door hatchback, 5-door hatchback, coupe, convertible, possible sedan and/or Gran Coupe, Active Tourer, Gran Tourer, some kind of X vehicle, etc.

I'm all for new BMW vehicles, even niche ones I just like the odd/even nomenclature. Obviously lots of space is needed below the 2-Series for that many UKL vehicles coming so it does make sense.
Appreciate 0