THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Active Tourer Front Rotor Replacement

07-14-2022, 06:17 PM   #1
Zerp
ex-Porsche Guy
Rep
Drives: BMW 218d

Active Tourer Front Rotor Replacement

My 2018(??) 218D recently displayed the brake pad warning at 45K km/28K miles. Took it to the dealer here in Japan. Replaced the rear pads, said the front were likely okay until inspection in about 6 months. Thing is, they mentioned the estimated cost at about $1K if the rotors had to be replaced.

Replace the rotors? And the brakes are okay? This is my first BMW but that sounds weird. Maybe turning them, I can see. The wife took it in, and she was talking about replacing the front discs (try telling HER that they are called ‘rotors’) so there could be a misunderstanding.

I’m going to pull the wheels and take a look. I’ve tried to find minimum rotor thickness for the F45 but no luck yet. Comments or suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 07:44 PM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

That seems like very low mileage for brake replacements but I guess if you constantly ride the brakes that will happen...

The minimum thickness of the should be stamped on the "hat" of the rotor.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...n_Checking.htm

Disregard that the link is for a different model, brakes are brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 08:27 PM   #3
Zerp
ex-Porsche Guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
That seems like very low mileage for brake replacements but I guess if you constantly ride the brakes that will happen...

The minimum thickness of the should be stamped on the "hat" of the rotor.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...n_Checking.htm

Disregard that the link is for a different model, brakes are brakes.
Thanks for the info.

Driving in Japan my foot is often near/on the brake pedal, though not actively riding the brakes. I just don’t trust mechanics, especially ones talking to a Japanese woman that believes everybody has the best intentions.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 11:19 PM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

45,000km for front brake replacement with lots of city and back road driving is not unusual. There is a possibility the rotors will wear before the pads, but this is not normally the case. BMW also has 2 wear limits on the rotors - the limit above which new pads can be fitted (stamped on the rotor, typically 1.6mm wear, so for example 22.4mm for a 24.0mm thick rotor when new) and the absolute limit where the rotor has to be replaced (typically 2.4mm total wear, so 21.6mm thickness for a 24.0mm rotor when new).

The absolute limit is in the BMW ISTA maintenance documentation in the attachment and seems to be the typical 2.4mm for a 2017 F45 218d.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 20220714_220657_TED-TED-TDMUC3411-F45_VIN7-XXXXXXX.pdf (21.8 KB, 13 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 11:37 PM   #5
Zerp
ex-Porsche Guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
45,000km for front brake replacement with lots of city and back road driving is not unusual. There is a possibility the rotors will wear before the pads, but this is not normally the case. BMW also has 2 wear limits on the rotors - the limit above which new pads can be fitted (stamped on the rotor, typically 1.6mm wear, so for example 22.4mm for a 24.0mm thick rotor when new) and the absolute limit where the rotor has to be replaced (typically 2.4mm total wear, so 21.6mm thickness for a 24.0mm rotor when new).

The absolute limit is in the BMW ISTA maintenance documentation in the attachment and seems to be the typical 2.4mm for a 2017 F45 218d.
Perfect. I’m not surprised that they pads need to be replaced. I have no problem there. I just can’t understand the rotors needing to be replaced. The car had about 11K km on it when I bought it. Very low mileage since the car was about 18 months old at the time. Maybe the first driver rode the brakes a lot??
Appreciate 0