THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinantronics Stage 1 Hesitations

06-03-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Dinantronics Stage 1 Hesitations

Hey y'all new here and new car to me. I just picked up a 2018 M240i xdrive coupe with 19K miles. After 800 miles I got a check engine light. Brought it in to BMW since I didn't recognize the code and it turns out my car has the Dinantronics stage 1 piggyback tune. I found an install receipt in my glovebox stating it was installed at 600 miles. They set it to bypass mode and said to check for the light again. Light didn't come back after 1000+ miles so they put it back to stage 1 to complete the "test". So far no light but my car is getting these hesitations. Almost feels like a misfire. Happens seemingly randomly. Usually in lower gears (1-3) and with light or even heavy throttle input. Usually goes away after shifting into a different gear.

Anyone have this issue with the Dinantronics/are familiar with it? Could it be due to it being, what I would guess, is an older model of the module? Bad wiring/connection(s)? I'm almost certain it has to be related to the tune as it happened occasionally around the time I got the light then never happened in those 1k+ miles in bypass mode and now it's back with stage 1.

Figured I'd check with y'all before I more than likely ask the BMW dealer for thoughts as they're also a Dinan certified dealer (so maybe some extra insight/knowledge there). I'd just scrap the tune but the difference is night and day (minus the random hesitations lol)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 09:15 AM   #2
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Does the hesitation feel like a lunging feeling? My car does that at slower speeds and lower revs, like the car is agging me on to give it some more juice. Another thought i had reading this was could this be some turbo lag? I experience patterns of hesitation when I'm applying partial throttle and then letting off, then throttling again and attribute that to the turbo being in and out of spooling. I have zero hesitation when maintaining a speed or with the pedal all the way down. The car behaves the same whether my tune is enabled or bypassed.

I don't have experience with Dinan but wanted to share my thoughts.
      06-04-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta ST to M240i View Post
Anyone have this issue with the Dinantronics/are familiar with it? Could it be due to it being, what I would guess, is an older model of the module?

Figured I'd check with y'all before I more than likely ask the BMW dealer for thoughts as they're also a Dinan certified dealer (so maybe some extra insight/knowledge there).
I've been running the Dinantronics Elite V2 for the BMW B58 (Part # D440-0122) since 2019 with no issues. It's a Stage 1 piggyback that Dinan no longer sells (looks like the D440-0131 is the current unit).

IIRC, there was a previous version of the piggyback that some owners had issues with. Dinan then came out with the D440-0122 to solve those issues. There are a number of threads related to this; I recall them being here on the forum after I got my car in mid-2018.

Your Dinan/BMW dealer and Dinan itself will know about this. Identifying your part number will be the key.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #4
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Does the hesitation feel like a lunging feeling? My car does that at slower speeds and lower revs, like the car is agging me on to give it some more juice. Another thought i had reading this was could this be some turbo lag? I experience patterns of hesitation when I'm applying partial throttle and then letting off, then throttling again and attribute that to the turbo being in and out of spooling. I have zero hesitation when maintaining a speed or with the pedal all the way down. The car behaves the same whether my tune is enabled or bypassed.

I don't have experience with Dinan but wanted to share my thoughts.
I've driven turbo cars for the past 11 years. Had a stock WRX then upgraded the turbo to a slightly bigger STI turbo and then had a Fiesta ST. This definitely isn't turbo lag. It happens when I'm easing into the throttle slowly. Maybe going from 20% to 25% throttle and the car bucks a few times similar to how a manual car reacts if you slow down too much without pushing in the clutch so right before it's about to stall out.

One time this "bucking" actually happened when I was completely off the throttle and brakes coming up to a red light and the car was dropping RPMs in 2nd gear from maybe 2500 down to 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I've been running the Dinantronics Elite V2 for the BMW B58 (Part # D440-0122) since 2019 with no issues. It's a Stage 1 piggyback that Dinan no longer sells (looks like the D440-0131 is the current unit).

IIRC, there was a previous version of the piggyback that some owners had issues with. Dinan then came out with the D440-0122 to solve those issues. There are a number of threads related to this; I recall them being here on the forum after I got my car in mid-2018.

Your Dinan/BMW dealer and Dinan itself will know about this. Identifying your part number will be the key.
I might just have to reach back out to the Dinan certified BMW dealer I've been working with. Maybe they can try and get it warrantied even if the CEL doesn't come back on. Because those hesitations are very worrying and at the very least it makes the driving experience very poor. I definitely don't think this is the newest/most revised model as it was installed in 2018. Unless it had been swapped out since then and I only have the original receipt
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 05:11 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I might just have to reach back out to the Dinan certified BMW dealer I've been working with. Maybe they can try and get it warrantied even if the CEL doesn't come back on. Because those hesitations are very worrying and at the very least it makes the driving experience very poor. I definitely don't think this is the newest/most revised model as it was installed in 2018. Unless it had been swapped out since then and I only have the original receipt
I'm not totally sure about this, but I have a mental image of the part number being on a sticker on the unit. If not, perhaps there's some other identifying info on it?.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 09:15 PM   #6
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm not totally sure about this, but I have a mental image of the part number being on a sticker on the unit. If not, perhaps there's some other identifying info on it?.
Looks like mine is D440-D830TM1

Also got a CEL light again after going for another drive just now. Same code as before but this time I got a "Drivetrain malfunction" and the car actually "stalled" out while I was going 5 or 10 MPH. I'm lucky I didn't get rear ended as I was on a road not at a stop light or stop sign and someone was behind me. I had to start the car up and luckily it moved. The message on my screen said "Drive moderately, maximum drivetrain output not available."

Now I'm getting hesitations in all drive modes and even with cruise control on the highway. Going to call my dealer first thing Monday morning. This is ridiculous lol to top it off I can't even control my Dinan as the app is the worst thing I've ever seen. Isn't compatible with my Android so I can't even put the car in bypass mode in the mean time.

Last edited by Fiesta ST to M240i; 06-04-2022 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 09:46 AM   #7
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like mine is D440-D830TM1

Also got a CEL light again after going for another drive just now. Same code as before but this time I got a "Drivetrain malfunction" and the car actually "stalled" out while I was going 5 or 10 MPH. I'm lucky I didn't get rear ended as I was on a road not at a stop light or stop sign and someone was behind me. I had to start the car up and luckily it moved. The message on my screen said "Drive moderately, maximum drivetrain output not available."

Now I'm getting hesitations in all drive modes and even with cruise control on the highway. Going to call my dealer first thing Monday morning. This is ridiculous lol to top it off I can't even control my Dinan as the app is the worst thing I've ever seen. Isn't compatible with my Android so I can't even put the car in bypass mode in the mean time.

I would get away from that Dinan flash tune unless the dealer can resolve it. I've heard very good things about MHD or BM3 if you stick with a flash tune. Or if you don't want to flash got with the JB4. Easy to install, take off, and the interface is nice. My two cents.
      06-06-2022, 06:33 PM   #8
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would get away from that Dinan flash tune unless the dealer can resolve it. I've heard very good things about MHD or BM3 if you stick with a flash tune. Or if you don't want to flash got with the JB4. Easy to install, take off, and the interface is nice. My two cents.
I'm on Dinan's piggyback right now, not their flash. The dealer reached out today about warrantying the unit. If they deny it for some reason, I might get a flash tune or just wait and get a pro tune after I throw on a few other bolt ons.

Hopefully they just warranty it and send me the latest version and it works as advertised. I'd rather hold off for a couple years before doing anything "crazy" with the car like flashing tunes and adding bolt ons.

Might have to look into the JB4 unit too. I don't know anything about those. It'd be nice to control whatever I get because the Dinantronics phone app doesn't connect to the module with my S21 Ultra. It's a pathetic app.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 09:14 PM   #9
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 6spd.

You may be able to turn your unit back to Dinan for credit toward flash upgrade or another unit. I spoke to Dinan directly about that. You can remove the Dinan yourself it takes about 20 minutes. I can walk you through it. I removed the unit off my M240 last month. It is probably the harness , spraying contact cleaner , a large amount on the sensor connectors cured the Issue when a CEL appeared driving in comfort mode part throttle under 3,000 rpm very random. I tracked the car a few times at SCCA track nights with the unit engaged no issues it performed well.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #10
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm on Dinan's piggyback right now, not their flash. The dealer reached out today about warrantying the unit. If they deny it for some reason, I might get a flash tune or just wait and get a pro tune after I throw on a few other bolt ons.

Hopefully they just warranty it and send me the latest version and it works as advertised. I'd rather hold off for a couple years before doing anything "crazy" with the car like flashing tunes and adding bolt ons.

Might have to look into the JB4 unit too. I don't know anything about those. It'd be nice to control whatever I get because the Dinantronics phone app doesn't connect to the module with my S21 Ultra. It's a pathetic app.
Oops, missed the detail about the piggyback. I've been running the JB4 for a year or so. Super easy install and easy to use. I've tried a few of their maps and a couple running an E85 blend. Plenty of enough power to be had with the JB4. Seems like most people like the flash tunes better as it seems more effective to get power out of the car.
      06-07-2022, 06:59 PM   #11
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Oops, missed the detail about the piggyback. I've been running the JB4 for a year or so. Super easy install and easy to use. I've tried a few of their maps and a couple running an E85 blend. Plenty of enough power to be had with the JB4. Seems like most people like the flash tunes better as it seems more effective to get power out of the car.
If I was worried about power I'd just get a protune before an OTS flash probably. I'm plenty happy with the power a piggyback yields. I'm moreso just looking for smoothness and reliability for now.

Also new update. Car was put back in bypass mode after getting the lights again with stage 1. Only this time the lights and hesitations happened while in bypass mode. First time in over 1200 miles of driving its done that. So it maybe be more than just a bad module/harness.

Trying to get it over to the dealer this week. Hoping it's something silly. I'm exhausted and just want to enjoy my new car for more than a day at a time lol
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #12
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Your problem is identical to the one I had. You can even look up my old thread in here.

The long and the short of it is, after 2 tow ins to the dealership, they identified Dinan stage 1 tuner as the issue. It’s been hypothesized in the community that it’s the wiring harness that causes the fault, I don’t believe this as cost-wise it wouldn’t make sense for Dinan to come out with an entirely different piggyback module and build just to solve a wiring issue.

After multiple emails with them, Dinan offered to replace my v1 with a v2. They failed to mention that the app doesn’t work with v2 and at the time also didn’t mention that the v2 tune was quite neutered compared to v1.

They also stuck me with the bill for the labor on the replacement after my Dinan certified Bmw dealership specifically told me that they won’t do work on credit for Dinan anymore because they don’t pay their bills.

In the end I had to chase them for something like 2 months for reimbursement on the labor, and they still shorted me on sales tax and some other part of the bill because they didn’t feel it was something they should pay for.

Buy yourself a reputable flash tune and ditch the Dinan piggyback. It’s a dinosaur compared to what’s out on the market now.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2022, 07:22 PM   #13
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Your problem is identical to the one I had. You can even look up my old thread in here.

The long and the short of it is, after 2 tow ins to the dealership, they identified Dinan stage 1 tuner as the issue. It’s been hypothesized in the community that it’s the wiring harness that causes the fault, I don’t believe this as cost-wise it wouldn’t make sense for Dinan to come out with an entirely different piggyback module and build just to solve a wiring issue.

After multiple emails with them, Dinan offered to replace my v1 with a v2. They failed to mention that the app doesn’t work with v2 and at the time also didn’t mention that the v2 tune was quite neutered compared to v1.

They also stuck me with the bill for the labor on the replacement after my Dinan certified Bmw dealership specifically told me that they won’t do work on credit for Dinan anymore because they don’t pay their bills.

In the end I had to chase them for something like 2 months for reimbursement on the labor, and they still shorted me on sales tax and some other part of the bill because they didn’t feel it was something they should pay for.

Buy yourself a reputable flash tune and ditch the Dinan piggyback. It’s a dinosaur compared to what’s out on the market now.
Yikes!! Thanks for the heads up. Was going to actually call tomorrow and get an update on my warranty claim. So even in bypass mode the wiring harness was messing with how the car ran?

That sucks because I wasn't trying to get a tune of any sort for a little while. Maybe I'll just say screw it and get that CG precision downpipe and tune it lol

Latest update is my intake actually came loose under boost/driving or something and after tightening that it's doing much better BUT after 2 days of 100% problem free driving, today I had some hesitations right before getting home. I almost feel like it's tied to how hot/humid it is out as it was flawless over the weekend where it was 70's and low humidity.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 07:54 PM   #14
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep

Exclamation

I had the Dinan V1 replaced three times before I had them take it off. Shortly after I had the dealer remove it I had a lifter/valvetrain tick which got louder and louder. I needed a new engine (took out a lifter and the cam bearing).

No other mods, oil changes at 5K.

It took 6 weeks to get Dinan to cover my engine replacement. The BMW engineer was helpful and detailed exactly why the Dinan unit caused this, if not for that I would have been screwed. Long story... but get that off as soon as possible!! There is a reason they went to V2!!

Pat
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #15
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
That's interesting, I had the Dinan V1 - from about 2000 mile until end of warranty @ 50,000 miles. The only issue I had was solved when Dinan sent me a new harness, other wise the car performed flawlessly and still does even after I switched to BM3 post warranty. I would love to hear how the Dinan caused a lifter and cam bearing to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy1 View Post
I had the Dinan V1 replaced three times before I had them take it off. Shortly after I had the dealer remove it I had a lifter/valvetrain tick which got louder and louder. I needed a new engine (took out a lifter and the cam bearing).

No other mods, oil changes at 5K.

It took 6 weeks to get Dinan to cover my engine replacement. The BMW engineer was helpful and detailed exactly why the Dinan unit caused this, if not for that I would have been screwed. Long story... but get that off as soon as possible!! There is a reason they went to V2!!

Pat
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #16
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 6spd.

Dinan now makes a flash part # 4431. I would call them and see if you can make a swap for that unit
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 11:46 AM   #17
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
I would love to hear how the Dinan caused a lifter and cam bearing to fail.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 06:35 PM   #18
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
+1
Quote from BMW engineer: At this point, because the signals to the DME were manipulated, the warranty is voided. We have no idea to the full extent of what was manipulated. The failures that have occurred with this engine are not characteristic for these engines. I do not have any B58 engines with a stuck lifter or scored camshaft bearings and I have many of these engines out there. The engine output was increased, and with that increase, premature wear is always a possibility. As a result, the policy will always be that ANY DME manipulation will result is a voidance of warranty. Our oil volume and pressure are electronically controlled from the DME. That algorithm which controls the oil volume/pressure has many inputs that are monitored to ensure that the correct calculation of oil volume/pressure are achieved. Turbo boost is monitored and is part of this calculation since the turbo is fed with engine oil supply and I know that this signal was manipulated with the Dinan software. This would most likely explain the failure and why I have not seen this failure before with this particular engine.

Basically, Dinan is increasing the boost/load on the engine without adjusting the oil volume/pressure to accommodate it.

Pat
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      06-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #19
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote from BMW engineer: At this point, because the signals to the DME were manipulated, the warranty is voided. We have no idea to the full extent of what was manipulated. The failures that have occurred with this engine are not characteristic for these engines. I do not have any B58 engines with a stuck lifter or scored camshaft bearings and I have many of these engines out there. The engine output was increased, and with that increase, premature wear is always a possibility. As a result, the policy will always be that ANY DME manipulation will result is a voidance of warranty. Our oil volume and pressure are electronically controlled from the DME. That algorithm which controls the oil volume/pressure has many inputs that are monitored to ensure that the correct calculation of oil volume/pressure are achieved. Turbo boost is monitored and is part of this calculation since the turbo is fed with engine oil supply and I know that this signal was manipulated with the Dinan software. This would most likely explain the failure and why I have not seen this failure before with this particular engine.

Basically, Dinan is increasing the boost/load on the engine without adjusting the oil volume/pressure to accommodate it.

Pat
This leads me to think that there must/should have been quite a few engine failures due to Dinan's V1 piggyback. I wonder if there were.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 03:50 PM   #20
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:

Pat
the warning has always been that a piggyback tune manipulates the car to "underreport" specific values, and the "tune" is the overcorrection by the DME.

This would support that exact explanation. Same reason why tuners recommend XHP instead of the typical trans tune that under-reports values to the TCU to trick it.

What year was it that this occurred to you and how long did it take Dinan to pay for the new engine?

Did you get a loaner in the mean time?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 02:28 PM   #21
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
the warning has always been that a piggyback tune manipulates the car to "underreport" specific values, and the "tune" is the overcorrection by the DME.

This would support that exact explanation. Same reason why tuners recommend XHP instead of the typical trans tune that under-reports values to the TCU to trick it.

What year was it that this occurred to you and how long did it take Dinan to pay for the new engine?

Did you get a loaner in the mean time?
Happened in 2019. It took more than 6 weeks for Dinan to pay up. Fortunately my dealer let me use a loaner the entire time.

Pat
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:35 PM   #22
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep

Dinan has been off the car for 4 days/1K+ miles now. Let's just say I'm finally enjoying my car after 1 month of ownership
Appreciate 1