THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Wavetrac vs. Quaife and other LSD questions

05-12-2022, 12:32 AM   #1
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Wavetrac vs. Quaife and other LSD questions

I'm looking at buying an LSD for my M240i (6-speed), but I have a few questions on how the process works and I'm curious of people's thoughts.

Firstly, if ordering from diffsonline, do they ship a full differential with a case, or just the "guts" so to speak? My shop was working on the assumption that they'd have to tear apart the diff and install the limited-slip mechanicals, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've also read that either the ring gear or pinion gear is very difficult to remove, and not really designed to be fooled with.

Next, the biggest question I have really, is the $200 jump from Wavetrac to Quaife worth it? It seems to me like Quaife is the "gold standard" most will go for, but it also seems inferior to Wavetrac in design from what I can tell. I know both are helical, but Wavetrac advertises a system to prevent loss of power delivery when one driven wheel is momentarily unloaded, i.e. going over a crest. Why does Diffsonline charge more for Quaife?

Finally, does anyone (especially 6MT owners) have experience with swapping to a 3.46 ratio? The gears are too long for my taste, and even though the highway cruise will be a bit noisier, I think the ratio swap is a good investment. But I'm curious about any forum-goers' thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Diffsonline does ship a complete case and differential. I got the Wavetrac to see how it performs, no complaints yet. You can email dan@diffsonline.com to ask questions, he is very responsive to emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermelon3878 View Post
I'm looking at buying an LSD for my M240i (6-speed), but I have a few questions on how the process works and I'm curious of people's thoughts.

Firstly, if ordering from diffsonline, do they ship a full differential with a case, or just the "guts" so to speak? My shop was working on the assumption that they'd have to tear apart the diff and install the limited-slip mechanicals, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've also read that either the ring gear or pinion gear is very difficult to remove, and not really designed to be fooled with.

Next, the biggest question I have really, is the $200 jump from Wavetrac to Quaife worth it? It seems to me like Quaife is the "gold standard" most will go for, but it also seems inferior to Wavetrac in design from what I can tell. I know both are helical, but Wavetrac advertises a system to prevent loss of power delivery when one driven wheel is momentarily unloaded, i.e. going over a crest. Why does Diffsonline charge more for Quaife?

Finally, does anyone (especially 6MT owners) have experience with swapping to a 3.46 ratio? The gears are too long for my taste, and even though the highway cruise will be a bit noisier, I think the ratio swap is a good investment. But I'm curious about any forum-goers' thoughts.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 02:26 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermelon3878 View Post
Firstly, if ordering from diffsonline, do they ship a full differential with a case...

Next, the biggest question I have really, is the $200 jump from Wavetrac to Quaife worth it? Why does Diffsonline charge more for Quaife?

Finally, does anyone (especially 6MT owners) have experience with swapping to a 3.46 ratio? I'm curious about any forum-goers' thoughts.
1) As WolfGTI indicated, Diffsonline ships a ready-to-be-installed diff.

2) I have no idea, but Dan can tell you.

3) When I got my diff from Dan in 2018, I asked him to recommend a ratio for my use case (street/light track duty). He said it wasn't worth changing from the stock 3.08, so I didn't. My experience is that the car has enough torque, especially at lower RPMs, that I wasn't going to benefit from or enjoy a lower ratio on the street. As always, YMMV.
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI688.50
jordan24c128.00
      05-22-2022, 02:35 PM   #4
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i

I got the wavetrac with stock ratio, transforms the car completely.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #5
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Wavetrac being installed on Monday

Hey all, I went for it and bought the diff a couple months ago. It's arriving on Friday, and I'll be getting it installed on Monday. I ordered it with 1 fill of fluid, but I don't know what else comes with the package, besides the diff itself.

Will this be a plug-and-play install for my mechanic, or are they any other components (seals, bolts etc) that I need to buy now so I'll have them for Monday? Since I ordered through Diffsonline, do they provide that with the diff?

And, finally, what kind of break-in procedure should I do? Diffsonline recommends 1200 miles of easy driving, but other forums online say 500, and other still say to thrash it from day one.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #6
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I followed Dan's recommendation, haven't had any issues. My diff had seals and it was a drop and swap. I don't see why yours would be any different. A good idea may be to consider replacing your differential bushings since you are dropping the diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerC_6MT View Post
Hey all, I went for it and bought the diff a couple months ago. It's arriving on Friday, and I'll be getting it installed on Monday. I ordered it with 1 fill of fluid, but I don't know what else comes with the package, besides the diff itself.

Will this be a plug-and-play install for my mechanic, or are they any other components (seals, bolts etc) that I need to buy now so I'll have them for Monday? Since I ordered through Diffsonline, do they provide that with the diff?

And, finally, what kind of break-in procedure should I do? Diffsonline recommends 1200 miles of easy driving, but other forums online say 500, and other still say to thrash it from day one.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      07-20-2022, 06:25 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerC_6MT View Post
You bought an expensive and complicated product from Dan, so listen to him.

The point is, Dan's a professional making his living from diffs. You wouldn't go to a forum for medical advice, would you? Same thing applies here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
I followed Dan's recommendation, haven't had any issues. My diff had seals and it was a drop and swap. I don't see why yours would be any different. A good idea may be to consider replacing your differential bushings since you are dropping the diff.
Same here re: the break-in period.

I didn't upgrade my diff bushings, but instead had the subframe bushings upgraded (https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ame-mount-kit/). I did that following the advice I got from from TC Kline Racing (https://www.tcklineracing.com/).

I don't know why TC recommended the subframe bushings and not the diff bushings or both. What I can say is the combination of the Wavetrac and the subframe bushings make for one really, really hooked-up RWD BMW. The combination has been a major transformation, and one with absolutely no downside that I've so far experienced.

Last edited by dradernh; 07-20-2022 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50