THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Beginner track day: 228i vs E36 = Miata

03-24-2022, 04:24 PM   #89
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
Long story short, was held up in traffic so I pitted and got a gap, went back out and got a good rhythm going. Next thing I knew I was coming into turn 6 pretty hot and I buried my foot into the brakes and was instantly punished for forgetting a very important Miata detail: No ABS. — locked up, hydroplaned about 200 feet or whatever and very lightly destroyed the driver fender against the barrier. Oops! Hammered it out at the paddock to get back the wheel clearance and put in a few more sessions. Typical Miata owner stuff lol.
Old cars are awesome, aren't they! A hammer and duct tape can solve pretty much anything Tbf, your "after" picture looks perfectly fine to me -- I wouldn't even bother replacing the fender, let alone paint matching.

One wet track trick I learned recently from the spec miata crowd: just disconnect the sway bars. It's literally just two bolts, so could even do it very very last-minute before grid if conditions are changing. Especially with how stiff I run my miata-like car, it made all the difference between pretty much undrivable to actually turning wet laps.
      03-24-2022, 04:33 PM   #90
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
The RS4’s are soon to be retired. Any new tire recommendations?
Maybe track tires: Toyo R888R or Nitto NT01, or the step higher BFG R1, Hoosier Spec Miata, or Hoosier R7?

I used to buy lightly-used race tires from this outfit (they handle DOT R-compound tires, too): https://usedracingtires.com/collections/in-stock. The tires I got generally appeared to have only one or two heat cycles on them. I found them to be a good value.

I only had an issue (with a single tire) once. I sent them a picture, and they sent two tires right out to me as a replacement.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2022, 05:37 PM   #91
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
The RS4’s are soon to be retired. Any new tire recommendations?
I find the Nankang AR-1s quite a bit better than any of the Extreme Performance category of tyres such as the R-S4, Direzza ZII and RE-71Rs that I have used before. Likely a notch below the Hoosier R7, but not as far as I thought they would be from the Hoosier S80 slicks I had before, but can't get in the 13" sizes I need any more.

The other thing I found with the AR-1s is that they have much more predictable braking near the lock-up point on my non-ABS Caterham compared with the Hoosier slicks and RE-71Rs, giving a lot more confidence in high speed braking at the end of straights.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2022, 10:49 AM   #92
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
One wet track trick I learned recently from the spec miata crowd: just disconnect the sway bars. It's literally just two bolts, so could even do it very very last-minute before grid if conditions are changing. Especially with how stiff I run my miata-like car, it made all the difference between pretty much undrivable to actually turning wet laps.
Nice! That is good to know! My current setup probably wouldn't respond too well to removing the sways as I'm running stock spring rates with Koni sports. I'm trying to push the body roll as far as humanly comfortable for the first few sessions. Putting some Ground Control sleeves and 400/275# springs on mid-summer. Then beefier sways, stickier tires, etc. Evolving the car with my driving capacity. The 400# fronts can then be moved to the rear later on and I'm planning to revalve the front Koni's to handle around 600# for a moderate SMS TT build because I am cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I used to buy lightly-used race tires from this outfit (they handle DOT R-compound tires, too): https://usedracingtires.com/collections/in-stock. The tires I got generally appeared to have only one or two heat cycles on them. I found them to be a good value.
This is a great resource! I will definitely look into them after a few more sessions on the RT660's. I got the Miata to save some $$ after all, so this is the kind of thing I'm after. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
I find the Nankang AR-1s quite a bit better than any of the Extreme Performance category of tyres... The other thing I found with the AR-1s is that they have much more predictable braking near the lock-up point on my non-ABS Caterham compared with the Hoosier slicks and RE-71Rs, giving a lot more confidence in high speed braking at the end of straights.
The AR-1 is very popular on the Nurburgring for TF and I have been considering these. Great to know about the predictability near the lock-up point for us non-ABS drivers. I have heard the RS4 and others have the advantage of being able to run in the rain vs the AR-1's. Do you find that to be the case as well? maybe I should find a dedicated set for rain duty like SM Wet Hoosier..
      03-30-2022, 11:07 AM   #93
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
The AR-1 is very popular on the Nurburgring for TF and I have been considering these. Great to know about the predictability near the lock-up point for us non-ABS drivers. I have heard the RS4 and others have the advantage of being able to run in the rain vs the AR-1's. Do you find that to be the case as well? maybe I should find a dedicated set for rain duty like SM Wet Hoosier..
I avoid going out in the wet in the Caterham, damp only as I don't have a windshield and the helmet visor doesn't always clear fast enough. On damp surfaces the AR-1s are about the same as the RE71-Rs, but bear in mind on wet surfaces in the Caterham I can get wheelspin in all 6 gears with the RE71-Rs and my lap time in the dry at our local circuit of about 1:30 in the dry increases to 1:50 in the wet with continuous work just to keep the car on the track. In comparison in our Golf R I could do 1:36 in the wet and 1:35 in the dry.

The Caterham wet performance is very much limited by it's lack of weight, (600kg with me in it) and a 235 wide rear tyre doesn't keep the tyres warm on a wet surface or give enough surface pressure to easily clear the water from under the tread.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 05:23 PM   #94
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
maybe I should find a dedicated set for rain duty like SM Wet Hoosier..
Hoosier Wets are the bee's knees!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 02:08 PM   #95
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

After a couple very full seasons of HPDE, I can say the Miata has been the better car for my purposes. However, that's only because I have a different daily driver. I still think the 2-series is probably one of the best one car solutions out there.

I miss the roundel on track and I've been thinking about moving back to the 4 cylinder BMW platform, only this time in a package more similar to the Miata in weight, hp, and size. E30 318is. I know it's not a popular track car as most of the E30's are Spec E30 325i with the i6's. But the 318is has near 50/50 weight, 2400lbs, 130hp and an LSD. The cost would go up for what would really be a similar lap time driving experience however.

It seems like the 318is is essentially the original iteration of the 228i M sport package and I am eager to find one and try it out before committing.

I've climbed the ranks of DE with NASA and hope to be qualified for TT before the end of the Fall. This little car takes a serious beating and just keeps going so I might keep it for another season anyway. Too much fun.

Well wishes to everyone.

Miata pic is mine
E30 318is is from r3vlimited forums..
Attached Images

AmuroRay2263.00
WolfGTI716.00
      09-15-2023, 04:52 PM   #96
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This little car takes a serious beating and just keeps going so I might keep it for another season anyway. Too much fun.
I've never heard a Miata driver hint that they weren't having fun. And with the fun on a track being in the corners, why wouldn't they be having as much fun as anyone else.

My experience wheeling 3,600+ pounds of M240i around Mid-Ohio told me that a Miata would definitely have been more fun. For me, that is.
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
      09-19-2023, 01:49 PM   #97
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
After a couple very full seasons of HPDE, I can say the Miata has been the better car for my purposes. However, that's only because I have a different daily driver. I still think the 2-series is probably one of the best one car solutions out there.

I miss the roundel on track and I've been thinking about moving back to the 4 cylinder BMW platform, only this time in a package more similar to the Miata in weight, hp, and size. E30 318is. I know it's not a popular track car as most of the E30's are Spec E30 325i with the i6's. But the 318is has near 50/50 weight, 2400lbs, 130hp and an LSD. The cost would go up for what would really be a similar lap time driving experience however.

It seems like the 318is is essentially the original iteration of the 228i M sport package and I am eager to find one and try it out before committing.

I've climbed the ranks of DE with NASA and hope to be qualified for TT before the end of the Fall. This little car takes a serious beating and just keeps going so I might keep it for another season anyway. Too much fun.

Well wishes to everyone.

Miata pic is mine
E30 318is is from r3vlimited forums..
We demand pictures of the E34 - and I know you're keen on the 318is, but the M20 is reliable and weighs close to the same. Why not?
      09-20-2023, 09:34 PM   #98
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../258279/page1/

That seems to be the consensus regarding the M20 E30’s. So now it looks like I’ll be deciding between going with a pre-built SpecE30 or Spec Miata. Maybe NC now that the SCCA is starting up Spec MX-5.

The E34 — The one constant in my chaotic life. It feels like a big old leather sofa on wheels. I will drive it daily for as long as it makes sense to. Here she is:
Attached Images