THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion [UPDATE] 2015: BMW M8, I8s, Z2, 9 series reportedly axed. i5 still on

04-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

[UPDATE] 2015: BMW M8, I8s, Z2, 9 series reportedly axed. i5 still on

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
"BMW has reportedly decided to kill several projects that were started under outgoing CEO Dr. Norbert Reithofer.

According to Automobile's sources, these doomed models include the 9-Series Coupe, the Z2 Roadster, the i8S and the highly-anticipated M8 which was rumored to be a modern day successor to the iconic M1.

While the news is unfortunate, the cancellations haven't affected the i5 which is scheduled to be green-lighted in October. It will reportedly ride on the company's new rear-wheel drive platform and be about as long as the i8 but roomier than the 3-Series.

The electric verison is slated to feature two electric motors - with outputs of approximately 225 bhp and 135 bhp - while the plug-in hybrid is expected to use either a 1.5-liter three-cylinder or a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine as well as a 275 bhp electric motor and a 75+ kW battery. It everything pans out, the latter model will have a combined maximum output of up to 400 bhp which should be enough to allow it to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in less than 4.5 seconds.

The i5 will reportedly be launched in 2019 and cost approximately $5,500 more than the upcoming 3-Series plug-in hybrid."

Source: worldcarfans
Not that we didn't expect that already but pretty sad nonetheless to see the M8 and 9 coupe being "reportedly" axed..I'd say this report its spot on with what we've been hearing from various sources for a long time now.

[UPDATE]

Quote:
The truth of the matter is that BMW have not confirmed these vehicles for production. So they cannot confirm nor deny.

In regards to the Z1 they are more occupied in trying to make the MINI version more feasible for production. So officially they are not at a decision for this vehicle as of yet as the current state of the Roadster market is not as it once was especially at the lower end although BMW are watching to see what happens in regards with the new Mazda MX-5. Officially they need to market watch to see if this vehicle can provide the turnaround or evidently show that market has collapsed. One thing discussed is that the MINI could potentially be RWD if put on a current architecture.

The Super M car has only ever made discussion with no process in place. There was never going to be an M version of the i8 as the two brands offer completely differing philosophies. Sharing technology and materials would be the only relative feature everything else would have been different. The year 2016 will bring forth a concept based on the i8 to show potential progression - reaction to the car unveiled in the midst of BMWs centenary will be the litmus test to decide if production will become a reality even as a limited edition model.

The next BMWi vehicle will be a four door and this is where it gets interesting. As the report indicates said car to be available in 2018 especially when an interview advised the next BMWi car to arrive in production in 2020 following a two stage concept series like the original Vision EfficientDynamics/i8.

The reason for the delay is to continue the Born Electric philosophy of BMWi which situating the four door on an electrified 5er undermines the complete BMWi message.

In 2014 BMW previewed the vision for a range-topping luxury sedan at the Beijing Auto Show last form of the BMW Vision Future Luxury Concept. Which indicated that the concept presented a viable long-term vision for the expansion of the BMW brand.

The decision on whether to move ahead with a production version of the sedan will happen as soon as Harald Krueger, who is said to be receptive to the concept of a new range-topping sedan, takes over as CEO. As over the past year the car has been sent for numerous customer viewings to showcase potential for a more exclusive BMW. The reaction has been in favour of the car as there are customers that see and would like to see a BMW in that position and not only that a BMW they want to actually drive. BMW kept the VFL as an exclusive sedan because they did not want to see the driver mistaken as the chauffeur which is the complete opposite on the Maybach S600.

Internally the car is identified as the 9 series, in keeping with BMW's naming conventions, and is intended as a direct competitor to the recently-unveiled Mercedes-Maybach S600 sedan while avoiding direct competition with the Rolls-Royce Ghost, in other words the bridge to Rolls-Royce.

The overall issue is that these are cars intended for market changes which are foreseen in the next few years that there is no hurry to introduce to a market that is not ready at the moment as when the BMW X7 arrives the luxury market will be topping at least 1 million units and with a 9er proposed for launch in 2018 it would arrive at the critical point to take a serious advantage.
The all new Rolls-Royce Phantom arrives in 2017 and it is this car that will be shared with the 9er as the Vision Future Luxury showcased upcoming development for the next Phantom especially in relation to construction, materials and eDrive drivetrain in which VFL used BMWs much talked about eDrive Turbo 6 cylinder drivetrain which will feature in a plug-in Phantom model.

But what you can take is that one of the final proposals for the 3er G20 uses similar design language to the Vision Future Luxury but shrunk to 3er proportions including the stretched slimmer tail lamps that sit on top of the space for the license plate higher up instead of across from it has very much been inherited for future BMW models.

For BMW M. The lack of investing in super sports cars do not harm the image of the brand one bit. The next stage of M will not only increase lightweight technology on the next M5 but also allows further progress to be considered for the BMW M4 and M2 models.

At the close of this year we will see both ideas from the BMW-Toyota partnership in a new sports car.

There is only one constant among German automakers including BMW in the markets today and it's that no segment shall remain unfilled or unidentified.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 02:49 AM   #2
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Well that sucks... although the only model listed that actually seemed like it might show up, was the i8S. Z2 rumours have been going around for years, 9 series coupe was a nice idea, but we don't even know that we're getting a 9 series saloon yet, and M8 has been repeatedly declined as a production model anyway.

I support most things that BMW do, because I understand that even models like the 2AT can strengthen the company.. but seriously how long's it going to be before BMW decide to do something new based on passion, rather than just shareholder dividends?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post

but seriously how long's it going to be before BMW decide to do something new based on passion, rather than just shareholder dividends?
Hopefully soon now that Reithofer it out. He struck me as a german Rick Wagoner.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

So, 3 performance cars axed from the lineup. I thought the purpose of the 2er AT and the GC and GT cars, and FWD 1er and all these other BS mass market cars was to fund R&D for those performance cars and future niche drivers cars?

Hearts and minds folks, hearts and minds.

Hurray BMW Status Money Machine!
      05-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
So, 3 performance cars axed from the lineup. I thought the purpose of the 2er AT and the GC and GT cars, and FWD 1er and all these other BS mass market cars was to fund R&D for those performance cars and future niche drivers cars?

Hearts and minds folks, hearts and minds.

Hurray BMW Status Money Machine!
Well, they're now going to use the funding from those to fund more AT, GC, GT, and FWD cars to fund the performance vehicles! Seriously, this is getting annoying. BMW is behind in the top range cars + the i8 disappointed for all that hype and looks. They need a flagship beast seeing how the M3/4 isn't making the cut anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

BMW is going to do their best to turn into Toyota.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
YEP. the total NON-enthusiast marque transition. What a massive failure....an embarassment to the company's roots and history.

What BMW desperately needed was the Z2; a small, cheaper, enthusiast roadster like the original Z3...to get some spirit back into the badge. What we are going to get instead is a bloated pig of an i5 that will do battle with the bloated pig Tesla Model S.
Appreciate 3
      05-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
BlackCobra08
King Cobra
Rep
Drives: incoming GTS 4.0

9 series coupe didn't even make sense with their current number scheme anyways; odd numbers = four door sedan/saloon, even number = two door coupe (with the exception of the four door gran coupe models as well of course)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCobra08 View Post
9 series coupe didn't even make sense with their current number scheme anyways; odd numbers = four door sedan/saloon, even number = two door coupe (with the exception of the four door gran coupe models as well of course)
and the 6 series gran coupe.

the 9 series didnt make sense since the 7er is getting bigger and bigger especially with the long wheelbase version and the new Rolls. A shame no z2. that could have been a miata competitor! a z2m hardtop! return of the clown shoe!
      05-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
and the 6 series gran coupe.

the 9 series didnt make sense since the 7er is getting bigger and bigger especially with the long wheelbase version and the new Rolls. A shame no z2. that could have been a miata competitor! a z2m hardtop! return of the clown shoe!
Nothing about the nomenclature makes sense anymore. They have exceptions to the exceptions, and then exceptions to those.
      05-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #11
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Hopefully soon now that Reithofer it out. He struck me as a german Rick Wagoner.
Norbert Reithofer did not Bankrupt BMW.
      05-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #12
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

The i8s sounds very smart to produce, anything to make the i8 better and more sporty I say go for it!

An M8 super car sounds fine if BMW wants to have a super car, but will it sell. The other projects seem useless.

I say just make the existing cars better. And come up with "M xDrive" for all the M's.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #13
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

As long as they don't kill the 5GT, everything else is fair game.

The 6 Series GC is the only good looking car that I've seen in the past 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #14
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

None of this is definite. I have not heard otherwise.
As work is still ongoing on several models discussed here.
We have already discussed the i5 and there has been an official comment from BMWi that the car will launch after 2020 following a two-stage concept programme.
      05-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #15
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
I foresee brand changes from many enthusiasts
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #16
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCobra08 View Post
I thought the 9 series was supposed to be a big dog "4 door sedan", because the 7 series was too "mainstream"?

And that the 8 series was the coupe of the 7 (2 doors).

Canceling the M8, seriously? This would be the second time. They need a halo car. AMG is on its second one, their own car. Audi's R8 is in it's second generation.

Yet, BMW has two quasi-mini vans.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #17
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
I foresee brand changes from many enthusiasts
I'm already there, Z4M will be the least BMW for me unless something changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #18
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
None of this is definite. I have not heard otherwise.
As work is still ongoing on several models discussed here.
We have already discussed the i5 and there has been an official comment from BMWi that the car will launch after 2020 following a two-stage concept programme.
Thanks for the info Scott.

Can you give us enthusiasts anything to be excited about? Something small and somewhat inconsequential even?
      05-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #19
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

hopefully it just means the Z2 in name

I could see them changing the Z4 to the Z5 (keeping it hardtop and larger) and introducing a new Z3 softtop, maybe Z2 was canned because it was going to be FWD and hopefully a Z3 would be RWD...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #20
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
YEP. the total NON-enthusiast marque transition. What a massive failure....an embarassment to the company's roots and history.

What BMW desperately needed was the Z2; a small, cheaper, enthusiast roadster like the original Z3...to get some spirit back into the badge. What we are going to get instead is a bloated pig of an i5 that will do battle with the bloated pig Tesla Model S.
There will be a Z3 and the Z4 becomes the Z5. That leaves the Z1 FWD brother of a Mini.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #21
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Well that sucks... although the only model listed that actually seemed like it might show up, was the i8S. Z2 rumours have been going around for years, 9 series coupe was a nice idea, but we don't even know that we're getting a 9 series saloon yet, and M8 has been repeatedly declined as a production model anyway.

I support most things that BMW do, because I understand that even models like the 2AT can strengthen the company.. but seriously how long's it going to be before BMW decide to do something new based on passion, rather than just shareholder dividends?
I'd say the M2 is exactly that isn't it?

As for this article, how can you guys actually take these things as the absolute truth? You guys do know that they have no idea what they are talking about half the time right?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #22
gvega702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325i Premium | Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Norbert Reithofer did not Bankrupt BMW.
They may be making more money than ever but I think he's referring to the lack of inspiring products. I went into the dealership yesterday and sat in everything. The only model that enticed me to want a test drive was the M3 but that's out of my budget (for now).

Everything else felt cheap even compared to my e46 which is now over 10 years old. Nor did they have the features of my 10 year old car for nearly 40 or more grand. I'm looking to replace my e46 as it is getting old but non of the current range of BMW's do anything for me and I used to be a huge fan boy. I don't even recommend the brand to friends anymore because I'd feel bad putting recommending them knowing their are lots of other good options.

Who made the cost cutting decision to get rid of the button to open the center arm rest in the f30? Now you have yank it out of the center console and slam it back in. All while making unpleasant noises. Did they take that little bit of savings and put it into something else like standard xenon lights? Higher quality plastics on something you touch regularly? Nope... they took that bit of savings and laughed to the bank. I that's just one minor instance of the cost cutting that went into the F30 I'm sure, and you can tell. Along with the rest of the current line up...

Higher quality interiors with better driving dynamics, please. Hopefully the new CEO knows that and he's axing extra models to get what we already have back up to speed.
Appreciate 0