THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Video - Watkins Glen HPDE

08-11-2022, 08:02 AM   #1
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Video - Watkins Glen HPDE

Here's some video highlights from the GVC BMW CCA event at Watkins Glen this past weekend. It was my first time there and it didn't disappoint. Such a fast track and great flow!

It was also my first time with camber plates and -2.5 camber dialed into the front. Even though I wasn't familiar with the track, I felt my F22 had an increase in grip relative to other cars (comparing to previous HPDEs). Hard to say for certain though.

Edit: I did have 100's of laps in iRacing under my belt before driving the real thing and that certainly helped. iRacing's scan is very accurate. They only surprising thing was how rough or large some of the curbing was. Made you think twice about using it!

The videos:
Fast lap:

Highlight reel:

Last edited by MassNerd; 08-11-2022 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 3
msendit415.50
dradernh4177.50
      08-11-2022, 06:17 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
Here's some video highlights from the GVC BMW CCA event at Watkins Glen this past weekend. It was my first time there and it didn't disappoint. Such a fast track and great flow!
The Glen is certainly a much better track for our cars than are the handling tracks like Lime Rock, Loudon, Palmer, etc. As you point out, it's the flow, which includes a lack of tight turns and quick transitions. That's pretty nice when you're trying to get 3,600#+ to turn the way you want it to. My 2¢, of course!

I think your iRacing laps certainly made a major difference, as even with good instruction most first-timers are not driving the line anywhere near as well as you were in this video. What feedback from your instructor did you find useful?

What tires and sizes were you using, and how do you think they performed (esp. compared to other tracks on which you may have run them)? Oops...I just noticed this was your first outing with a good deal of negative front camber, so maybe it's not possible to make a useful comparison.

--------------------------------------------------------------

In the event you can use the information, with the TC Kline coilover kit on my car (front: single-adjustable, Koni HD-based, 350# springs; rear: double-adjustable Koni Motorsport-based, 600# springs), I found the only curbs the car didn't like that my old E36 race car with 3-way Motons on it weren't bothered by were the 1st and 3rd curbs in the Bus Stop. My car really didn't like using all of the first curb there, and while it disliked using all of the 3rd curb as well (too bad - that really gives up time!), I could use half of it while still going full-throttle halfway between curbs 2 & 3. That was with Toyo R888R 255s on all four corners – and an LSD. My car was perfectly happy, though, with the exit curbing of T1, T6, the Off-Camber (T9), T10, and T11. Each offers the opportunity to go to full-throttle noticeably sooner when carrying good speed past the apex.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 12:27 PM   #3
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I think your iRacing laps certainly made a major difference, as even with good instruction most first-timers are not driving the line anywhere near as well as you were in this video. What feedback from your instructor did you find useful?
My instructor wasn't really trying to get me going faster other than pushing me into later braking. I was a little disappointed but also understood it was my first time at the track and some restraint was warranted.

Quote:
What tires and sizes were you using, and how do you think they performed (esp. compared to other tracks on which you may have run them)? Oops...I just noticed this was your first outing with a good deal of negative front camber, so maybe it's not possible to make a useful comparison.
I've currently got 235F/265R Michelin PS4S on the car, a good tire but a little greasy for the track. After the camber plate install, it looks like there is plenty of room to fit 245s up front. Possibly 255s, but I don't want to take the chance. The PS4Ss on there now can't handle another track weekend so I'll be shopping for a new set of 245s soon. Not ready for a dedicated set of track wheels/tires yet. I only do 2 weekends a year.

Quote:
In the event you can use the information, with the TC Kline coilover kit on my car (front: single-adjustable, Koni HD-based, 350# springs; rear: double-adjustable Koni Motorsport-based, 600# springs), I found the only curbs the car didn't like that my old E36 race car with 3-way Motons on it weren't bothered by were the 1st and 3rd curbs in the Bus Stop. My car really didn't like using all of the first curb there, and while it disliked using all of the 3rd curb as well (too bad - that really gives up time!), I could use half of it while still going full-throttle halfway between curbs 2 & 3. That was with Toyo R888R 255s on all four corners – and an LSD. My car was perfectly happy, though, with the exit curbing of T1, T6, the Off-Camber (T9), T10, and T11. Each offers the opportunity to go to full-throttle noticeably sooner when carrying good speed past the apex.
I'm not at the level where I'm able to do that type analysis on my driving . A friend pointed me to Circuit Tools from VBOX though which is pretty awesome. Definitely can compare laps in great detail after the fact. I use Track Addicts to log data while driving (but don't have it visible where I can compare sector times).

Last edited by MassNerd; 08-12-2022 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
dradernh4177.50