THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Welded midpipe/downpipe clamp?

06-16-2022, 08:23 AM   #1
A~ The Hun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Welded midpipe/downpipe clamp?

Yesterday, I was trying to DIY a downpipe swap on my 240. Everything was coming apart pretty easy until I went to loosen the clamp holding the midpipe and downpipe together. When I took the nut off, the clamp didn't move at all. Hitting it with a mallet didn't help either. It looked welded on. Anyone else run into this problem? How'd you get around it?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 01:06 PM   #2
Shadysu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by A~ The Hun View Post
Yesterday, I was trying to DIY a downpipe swap on my 240. Everything was coming apart pretty easy until I went to loosen the clamp holding the midpipe and downpipe together. When I took the nut off, the clamp didn't move at all. Hitting it with a mallet didn't help either. It looked welded on. Anyone else run into this problem? How'd you get around it?

Sounds like there was a resonator/midmuffler delete? only reason the mid pipe clamp would be welded...? as I had my mid muffler and resonators chopped off and welded on, and he just welded a new pipe on, no clamp I believe.

When doing the DP on my 240 the mid pipe to downpipe clamp was very easy to get off no problem, the only issue was pulling the dp out of the bottom.

If its welded you'll just have to get it cut off and go from there.

2017 F22 M240i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 09:05 PM   #3
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

That clamp is spot welded on my stock exhaust I just removed and replaced with an AA DP and Remus Catback...

But OP, what's the issue? Have you checked DIY vids here or on YouTube? Dropping the rear crossmember helps give a little wiggling room to separate things. Getting the DP loose you need to make sure you back out the V-band clamp bolt almost all the way before it will release. I had mine like 3/4 and thought it was loose. But not until I almost dropped the nut did it pop off and everything else was easy... Remove the airbox, easiest way to gain access to it all.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 07:56 PM   #4
jakel1995
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240i

[QUOTE=cooolone2;29263401]That clamp is spot welded on my stock exhaust I just removed and replaced with an AA DP and Remus Catback...

But OP, what's the issue? Have you checked DIY vids here or on YouTube? Dropping the rear crossmember helps give a little wiggling room to separate things. Getting the DP loose you need to make sure you back out the V-band clamp bolt almost all the way before it will release. I had mine like 3/4 and thought it was loose. But not until I almost dropped the nut did it pop off and everything else was easy... Remove the airbox, easiest way to gain access to it all.

Good luck![/QUOTE

What clamp did you replace it with? Factory bmw clamp? I’m getting a fat ass exhaust leak from the down to mid connection
Appreciate 0