THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinantronics Stage 1 Hesitations

06-28-2022, 08:31 AM   #23
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta ST to M240i View Post
Dinan has been off the car for 4 days/1K+ miles now. Let's just say I'm finally enjoying my car after 1 month of ownership
Good to hear! 1K miles in 4 days???
      06-28-2022, 07:47 PM   #24
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Good to hear! 1K miles in 4 days???
Been driving home to see family and friends a lot and to go to a couple weddings :/

I'm up to 6K miles in just under 6 weeks. Hoping to slow that pace down soon haha
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
JMcLellan2010.50
      07-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #25
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Time to put a real tune on it then!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 10:25 PM   #26
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Time to put a real tune on it then!
After that insane ordeal I just went through I think Imma hold off for a little while lol

Definitely want to do something mild at some point though like a downpipe and pro tune. Working on getting the car looking and sounding right first though. Have a Remus midpipe on the way to complete my Remus catback. Excited for that as the axleback alone sounds fantastic.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2022, 12:14 PM   #27
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta ST to M240i View Post
After that insane ordeal I just went through I think Imma hold off for a little while lol

Definitely want to do something mild at some point though like a downpipe and pro tune. Working on getting the car looking and sounding right first though. Have a Remus midpipe on the way to complete my Remus catback. Excited for that as the axleback alone sounds fantastic.
I felt the same exact way but driving with no tune felt neutered and pushed me off the fence.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 01:18 PM   #28
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
I felt the same exact way but driving with no tune felt neutered and pushed me off the fence.
I ditched my Jb4 tune a couple weeks back and only lasted like 3 days before purchasing the MHD flash tune and then a few days after that got into the XHP transmission flash tune. The car is a beast!
      07-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #29
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I ditched my Jb4 tune a couple weeks back and only lasted like 3 days before purchasing the MHD flash tune and then a few days after that got into the XHP transmission flash tune. The car is a beast!
I'm hesitant towards OTS tunes otherwise I'd probably be right there with you haha
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2010.50
      12-25-2022, 03:15 AM   #30
IlanLCD
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i 2016

I had the same issue with Dinan stage 1 for the N20 engine on my 528i.

The feeling was that the engine was bucking under a heavy load.

reading the codes with Bimmerlink gave me a general misfire, which got worse over time until I got cylinder no. 3 misfires after a few days. 3. I replaced the coil and all got back to normal for a couple of weeks until I had the same. General misfire and after a few days cylinder no. 4 misfire was reported, so replaced that coil, and all was good again. I knew it is the coils as I did the spark plugs not too long ago and I have 90,000KM on the old coils.

I have two additional coils on their way for 1 and 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 03:56 PM   #31
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

I find it interesting that Dinan no longer even replies to threads like this.

I guess ignoring the customer base is the best option for them at this point.
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50
      01-01-2023, 09:32 PM   #32
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:

They are shit now and that's why.. best to avoid negative and let it die and just respond and promote anything positive. It's honestly easier when you have a business model like they do. Tuning wise they can't compete with bootmod3 or mhd and they just rely on a name that some people still associate with being a positive thing...
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      01-03-2023, 08:06 AM   #33
IlanLCD
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55david View Post
They are shit now and that's why.. best to avoid negative and let it die and just respond and promote anything positive. It's honestly easier when you have a business model like they do.
So correct, the Dinantronics was a great product, I found a used one on eBay for a third of the cost of a new unit and it works great. It was a very pricey product 5-6 years ago and they stopped selling them.

Their support is terrible, the POS App was not updated since 2015....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 03:31 PM   #34
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55david View Post
They are shit now and that's why.. best to avoid negative and let it die and just respond and promote anything positive. It's honestly easier when you have a business model like they do. Tuning wise they can't compete with bootmod3 or mhd and they just rely on a name that some people still associate with being a positive thing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlanLCD View Post
So correct, the Dinantronics was a great product, I found a used one on eBay for a third of the cost of a new unit and it works great. It was a very pricey product 5-6 years ago and they stopped selling them.

Their support is terrible, the POS App was not updated since 2015....
Not ignoring anything. Didn't even realize this thread existed until I happened to be scanning forum sections I don't visit as frequently as I may have once did this afternoon. If anyone wants something adressed specifically and us to chime in they can tag us in the post so we get a notification and know its there. Otherwise its just dumb luck on stumbling upon it.

As far as this thread is concerned it goes down nearly the entire history of the DINANTRONICS lineup which can get a bit "expansive" to say the least and has been addressed before in other threads but I'll attempt to give a quick and dirty synopsis.

2014 - Dinan launched the DINANTRONICS Elite (N series motors) which was an ambitious piggyback product that technologically was far beyond anything else on the market -- going so far as having the capability of even driving injectors and tying into other systems (TCU as an example). The hardware was there for that expansion but it never materialized as financially it became an albatross to support. The "NASA" harness as we referred to it, itself was even a huge cost with it rivaling exhaust system costs. It was not a cheap kit to produce and the pricing reflected that. The BT functionality of the kit was essentially a remote stage switcher / on/off button. I know a lot of people wanted more out of that part of it but that just was never a goal on those early kits. As such it was more of a troubleshooting feature than anything.

2016 - DINANTRONICS DME8 was launched for the B series engines and utilized the same control unit/app (with updated firmware) as the original DINANTRONICS Elite. The NASA harness was simplified (instead of connecting to the DME it went to 4 or 5 sensors if memory serves) to save cost and allow the pricing to come down a bit to a more reasonable realm on the newer kits. This is the kit the OP had originally. This kit stuck around for a year and a half or so but there were numerous reports of CEL issues surrounding the F2x/F3x B58 kit specifically. After a fair amount of additional testing and shipping in some of the problematic cars it was discovered that the DME8 DINANTRONICS was simply too aggressive for about 10% of the cars. These cars, while still within factory tolerances in stock trim, were precariously close to that limit and when the kit was applied it set it over the edge wheras the majority of the cars closer to the mean operated just fine. All of our original development cars did not exhibit such a fluctuating base so it was a bit unexpected. These fringe cars led to a lot of excess warranty claims and payments on lots of labor/troubleshooting so an alternative was put into motion...

2017 - DINANTRONICS V2 was launched and replaced all the DINANTRONICS DME8 variants with a tune adjustment that reduced the peak power so those fringe cars did not elicit a CEL and bumped up the low/mid range a bit as a concession. In the process we streamlined the kit even more as it was clear that we were never going to go the ambitious route of the original DINANTRONICS ELITE as a true supplemental ECU. As such the electronics were stripped of the elements related to those future expansions (including the BT on/off switch -- replaced by a physical bypass plug) to go along with the simplified harness that the DINANTRONICS DME8 started. This allowed costs, and retail prices, to come down and reduce the warranty expenditure of the kit it replaced in addition to having higher customer satisfaction with less issues being reported as a result.

2020 - DINANTRONICS X launched and replaced all prior DINANTRONICS Variants (OG ELITE "NASA Kit" and V2). Chips used on the prior boards could no longer be sourced so alternative hardware needed to be found. This also coincided with the flash releases and created a different tuning hierarchy within the brand with flashes having a warranty and non-warranty option and the inline tuners (piggybacks) no longer carrying a factory matching warranty. This allowed competitive price points to other inline's on the market while still retaining an option for those that want warranty with flashes that have more direct and comprehensive control of vehicle parameters. During each of these steps we tried to offer upgrade/replacement programs that made sense where applicable so no one was left out in the cold and had a problematic unit or felt cheated when the flashes came out. May not have made everyone happy for whatever the reason but the effort was made.

2021 - Shortly thereafter we released the DINANFLASH Handheld which is our first foray into DTC flashing while also supplying different octane maps, etc. Is it as feature reach as the competition? No. Our goals are very different. Dinan is after a safe, set it and forget it solution that is designed to be legal (emissions included). A fair number of customization options that are typical in competitive products are in direct opposition to those requirements. For those that want to tinker, and/or do more elaborate setups the other options out there are likely more suited for you. For others that are just looking for a PnP, no-nonsense, and price competitive way to get some extra enjoyment the Dinan options may be just what is needed. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Welp -- I failed at making it a quick and dirty synopsis. Apologies.
Appreciate 2
dradernh4347.50
VP_5675.50
      01-05-2023, 07:30 PM   #35
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Not ignoring anything. Didn't even realize this thread existed until I happened to be scanning forum sections I don't visit as frequently as I may have once did this afternoon. If anyone wants something adressed specifically and us to chime in they can tag us in the post so we get a notification and know its there. Otherwise its just dumb luck on stumbling upon it.

As far as this thread is concerned it goes down nearly the entire history of the DINANTRONICS lineup which can get a bit "expansive" to say the least and has been addressed before in other threads but I'll attempt to give a quick and dirty synopsis.

2014 - Dinan launched the DINANTRONICS Elite (N series motors) which was an ambitious piggyback product that technologically was far beyond anything else on the market — going so far as having the capability of even driving injectors and tying into other systems (TCU as an example). The hardware was there for that expansion but it never materialized as financially it became an albatross to support. The "NASA" harness as we referred to it, itself was even a huge cost with it rivaling exhaust system costs. It was not a cheap kit to produce and the pricing reflected that. The BT functionality of the kit was essentially a remote stage switcher / on/off button. I know a lot of people wanted more out of that part of it but that just was never a goal on those early kits. As such it was more of a troubleshooting feature than anything.

2016 - DINANTRONICS DME8 was launched for the B series engines and utilized the same control unit/app (with updated firmware) [...]
Meh.. you went down hill the moment dinan sold the company. I know you're just doing your job and all so my apologies as I'm not attacking you directly...
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0