THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning MHD Temporarily Disables Popping?

06-28-2022, 09:09 PM   #1
W3Tduck
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw m240i

MHD Temporarily Disables Popping?

For reference i have a 2018 m240i manual currently with just intake and mhd stage 1 tune. (Jb4 is installed but disabled). Upon using anti lag and doing a pull the car will pop after letting off the throttle on the way down. Once it stops popping the car will no longer pop for about 20 seconds regardless of driving, downshifting, or revving. After the car will again pop, is this a feature with mhd's anti lag cooldown?
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2010.50
      06-29-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3Tduck View Post
For reference i have a 2018 m240i manual currently with just intake and mhd stage 1 tune. (Jb4 is installed but disabled). Upon using anti lag and doing a pull the car will pop after letting off the throttle on the way down. Once it stops popping the car will no longer pop for about 20 seconds regardless of driving, downshifting, or revving. After the car will again pop, is this a feature with mhd's anti lag cooldown?
I've had similar behavior with my MHD tune on my 2019 M240i after doing some pulls where they go away for a little while. It comes back every time so I'm not worried about it. I have not used the anti-lag feature. But overall my exhaust feels quieter since changing from JB4 to MHD.
      06-29-2022, 09:41 AM   #3
W3Tduck
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Quote:
I've had similar behavior with my MHD tune on my 2019 M240i after doing some pulls where they go away for a little while. It comes back every time so I'm not worried about it. I have not used the anti-lag feature. But overall my exhaust feels quieter since changing from JB4 to MHD.
Thanks, I've had the same mindset of not really caring as it always comes back. I also noticed mhd seams a bit smoother and quieter than the jb4 but i do actually feel a bit slower too. Im sure mhd s2 will be better than jb4s default maps but i think JB4 out performs s1 mhd.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 02:29 PM   #4
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Sorry to threadjack a bit, but I'm very interested in MHD at the moment so I have a couple questions about the process.

- What cable would you recommend using to install? I don't want to spend $70 on their own product, I'm looking for something cheaper that gets the job done.

- If you buy a flasher license and map pack off their site on a PC, how do you "download" them onto your phone? The install guides I've seen buy them directly through the app during the install process, but that costs about $75 more.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 04:32 PM   #5
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I've had the same mindset of not really caring as it always comes back. I also noticed mhd seams a bit smoother and quieter than the jb4 but i do actually feel a bit slower too. Im sure mhd s2 will be better than jb4s default maps but i think JB4 out performs s1 mhd.
I had immediate buyers remorse after the MHD flash to stage 2 compared to what i was used to with the JB4. I was having major timing corrections and the power delivery was garbage. I've done some tweaking and added some E85 to my gas tank and I am very pleased with the performance. I honestly think that either tune works fine, but I really wanted the additional exhaust sound controls that come along with the MHD tune.
      06-29-2022, 04:38 PM   #6
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerC_6MT View Post
Sorry to threadjack a bit, but I'm very interested in MHD at the moment so I have a couple questions about the process.

- What cable would you recommend using to install? I don't want to spend $70 on their own product, I'm looking for something cheaper that gets the job done.

- If you buy a flasher license and map pack off their site on a PC, how do you "download" them onto your phone? The install guides I've seen buy them directly through the app during the install process, but that costs about $75 more.
Not sure on a cable but I bought this WiFi dongle off of Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091GN16HC...roduct_details

That can be used for any flashing you want to do whether it's MHD, XHP trans tune, etc.

I bought the licensing via my phone linking from the app to their website: I tried to flash and it prompted me to buy a license so I clicked the link to their site and purchased. I ended up getting the super license as I plan to mess around with more maps and settings. After purchase I was emailed a product unlock key like some random 8 digit code that i brought back into the app to unlock the license. It wasn't too complicated.