THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M Performance LSD install question

05-23-2022, 04:24 PM   #1
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

M Performance LSD install question

I have an M Performance LSD on the way for my RWD 2019 M240i. I have a local import shop quoting me $750 for install. The local BMW dealer quoted me $1536 for install. I would prefer to go with the $750 option but the shop is not sure if there is any programming/coding required for the LSD, nor do they know if i t was required if they would be able to do it. Any programming would of course be covered by the dealer but I don't want to pay that price.

Question: is programming required for the LSD install to pair best with the traction control, or any other technical or mechanical components? I have read forums extensively and came up with split opinions; some people say you have to, some people say it isn't needed.

Thanks-- Joe
      05-23-2022, 09:36 PM   #2
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
[B]Question: is programming required for the LSD install ...
No coding needed.

///Rich
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      05-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #3
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
No coding needed.

///Rich
That makes things a bit easier. Do you know this from your own experience with an LSD, or hearing this from other members with the experience? Just curious.
      05-24-2022, 09:21 PM   #4
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
That makes things a bit easier. Do you know this from your own experience with an LSD, or hearing this from other members with the experience? Just curious.
My experience.

There's a thread describing it all as I had to do it twice. Note, if someone knows what they are doing, it's under two hours even if you are taking your time. The quotes you got for labor are a bit high I think.

But you will love the difference.

//Rich

Last edited by Rich.Wolfson; 05-25-2022 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 08:10 AM   #5
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
My experience.

There's a thread describing it all as I had to do it twice. Note, if someone knows what they are doing, it's under two hours even if you are taking your time. The quotes you got for labor is a bit high I think.

But you will love the difference.

//Rich
Thank you. This is the exact feedback I was looking for. I'm excited to get it installed and feel the difference!
      05-25-2022, 02:01 PM   #6
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M240i

I paid under $600 for an experienced shop to do the install (in the San Francisco area), including fluid (my understanding is that they all need at least some fluid), did no coding, very happy

I’ll note that a lot of shops were happy to ask 750+ for the job - some while admitting they’d never done it before.

Also, test drive near the shop afterward. Listen for odd sounds. After the install I had a bit of knocking over bumps. Pointed it out to the shop. They quickly diagnosed that the exhaust was hitting something, made adjustments and never heard a sound again.

Last edited by SoftShoe; 05-25-2022 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2039.00
      05-25-2022, 05:33 PM   #7
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I understand a specialized tool is needed to pull the axle shafts out but otherwise is pretty straight forward. I'm not sure if it would take longer than 1-2hrs with some heavy lifitng.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2039.00
      05-26-2022, 08:49 AM   #8
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShoe View Post
I paid under $600 for an experienced shop to do the install (in the San Francisco area), including fluid (my understanding is that they all need at least some fluid), did no coding, very happy

I’ll note that a lot of shops were happy to ask 750+ for the job - some while admitting they’d never done it before.

Also, test drive near the shop afterward. Listen for odd sounds. After the install I had a bit of knocking over bumps. Pointed it out to the shop. They quickly diagnosed that the exhaust was hitting something, made adjustments and never heard a sound again.
The place I'm going doesn't seem like they have done this exact job before but they are the go-to place for euro and exotic cars in the MN twin cities area. I figure if owners of expensive Porsches and Lambos trust their techs then I should be good. The only other place I could find that does have experience with this exact LSD install was the dealer with the quote of $1500+ which is ridiculous.

I will be sure to test drive around the shop for a bit to see if anything seems out of whack. Any advice on break in tactics and how many miles before really ripping on the car?
      05-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #9
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
The place I'm going doesn't seem like they have done this exact job before but they are the go-to place for euro and exotic cars in the MN twin cities area. I figure if owners of expensive Porsches and Lambos trust their techs then I should be good. The only other place I could find that does have experience with this exact LSD install was the dealer with the quote of $1500+ which is ridiculous.

I will be sure to test drive around the shop for a bit to see if anything seems out of whack. Any advice on break in tactics and how many miles before really ripping on the car?
BIMRS.org can be useful when you want a qualified independent shop that either specializes in or mostly sees BMWs: https://www.bimrs.org/find-a-shop.html.

The site shows there are a couple of members' shops in the Minneapolis area.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 08:53 PM   #10
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M240i

I honestly don't know about break-in, but I'll share what I read, heard, and did:

TLDR:
Circles and figure eights (slow)
Progressively driving harder over time
[FWIW, the shop said I could just take it out and thrash it]
Fluid change after a few months (1000 miles)
Fuild change after a year (haven't done that yet)

The long version:
Saw posts about running 10-15 tight circles in each direction, like in a corporate cul-de-sac (speed not required) and running figure eights in an empty parking lot. So I did those things. I could easily imagine it was useful (and could also imagine someone was just having a laugh).

Then I just progressively drove the car harder <-- that part was natural because the car was new to me. And for the first little while, if I was turning and suddenly lifted throttle, I really do think that the car would slightly favor one side. (For example, it tucked in more if I did it while turning right than while turning left.) Whatever, that's fully symmetrical now.

My shop did convince me, simply as a matter of course, to bring it back for a fluid change after a few months. And I'll probably do that again after I've run it for a year provided someone doesn't jump on here to call me an idiot.

Finally, will admit that at first I thought maybe I wouldn't need the LSD. This car has so much torque. Plus, my last car had an LSD and I drove it for over a decade, so I really didn't know what I'd be losing. Then one day in the M240 I pulled into the same old fast moving traffic the same way I always did. Got the one-wheel spin / power loss / butt wiggle and (even though the car still mostly took off) decided it was the last time I was going to experience that B.S.

My LSD-break-in experience. A novelette, by SoftShoe.

Last edited by SoftShoe; 06-15-2022 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #11
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
BIMRS.org can be useful when you want a qualified independent shop that either specializes in or mostly sees BMWs: https://www.bimrs.org/find-a-shop.html.

The site shows there are a couple of members' shops in the Minneapolis area.
This is very helpful. Surprised the place I'm going with isn't on this list.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 09:12 AM   #12
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShoe View Post
I honestly don't know about break-in, but I'll share what I read, heard, and did:

TLDR:
Circles and figure eights (slow)
Progressively driving harder over time
[FWIW, the shop said I could just take it out and thrash it]
Fluid change after a few months (500 miles)
Fuild change after a year (haven't done that yet)

The long version:
Saw posts about running 10-15 tight circles in each direction, like in a corporate cul-de-sac (speed not required) and running figure eights in an empty parking lot. So I did those things. I could easily imagine it was useful (and could also imagine someone was just having a laugh).

Then I just progressively drove the car harder <-- that part was natural because the car was new to me. And for the first little while, if I was turning and suddenly lifted throttle, I really do think that the car would slightly favor one side. (For example, it tucked in more if I did it while turning right than while turning left.) Whatever, that's fully symmetrical now.

My shop did convince me, simply as a matter of course, to bring it back for a fluid change after a few months. And I'll probably do that again after I've run it for a year provided someone doesn't jump on here to call me an idiot.

Finally, will admit that at first I thought maybe I wouldn't need the LSD. This car has so much torque. Plus, my last car had an LSD and I drove it for over a decade, so I really didn't know what I'd be losing. Then one day in the M240 I pulled into the same old fast moving traffic the same way I always did. Got the one-wheel spin / power loss / butt wiggle and (even though the car still mostly took off) decided it was the last time I was going to experience that B.S.

My LSD-break-in experience. A novelette, by SoftShoe.
A beautiful novelette this was. Feeling more confident with my purchase and the install date of June 6th can't come soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 11:03 AM   #13
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
This is very helpful. Surprised the place I'm going with isn't on this list.
Maybe ask them to see what they say?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 05:19 PM   #14
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
I have a 3.46 Wavetrac on order from Diffsonline. Their suggested break-in is 1200 miles of easy driving, immediately followed by a fluid change.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2039.00
      06-08-2022, 09:30 AM   #15
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

The shop put the LSD in my car on Monday and the tech went and did the 20 figure eights, then 20 right and 20 left turns. Poor dude must have been dizzy. I've driven about 100 miles of mild driving and so far so good. Feels like the rear end is heavier but can't tell much else until I rip on the car after the first 500 miles and fluid change. I barely drive my car so usually 500 miles would take 2 months. Planning 50 miles per day so I can start ripping in a couple weeks.
deathking134.50
MLJR235116.50