THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes How to know if lowering springs will cause rubbing?

04-07-2022, 02:22 PM   #1
premi23
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

How to know if lowering springs will cause rubbing?

I currently have this squared setup:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40-18
Apex FL-5 18x8.5" ET35

According to this guide:

Front & Rear: 18x8.5" ET35 or ET38 with 225/40-18 tires
Typically a direct fit. Certain compounds that run wider-than-average may require front negative camber.
235/40-18 tires can be a direct fit, but we strongly suggest dialing in front and rear negative camber to prevent rubbing. Amount of camber varies depending on tire brand and ride height.

So my concern is, will there be a need for camber plates if I install Dinan Performance Springs?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to check for.. I don't even know what part is supposed to rub with which part lol I'm pretty new to this..

Don't want to spend $700 on camber plates :|

Please enlighten me!
Thanks!

Last edited by premi23; 04-07-2022 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 12:36 AM   #2
CarbonLion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 228i

Garage List
2015 228i  [0.00]
Hey, I am running the exact same wheel & tire with Dinan springs and no camber plates, albeit on a 228i (Dinan says their springs lower the front by 1/2" on both models). I experienced minor rubbing in the front that did not bother me but what happens is the outer shoulder of the tire will contact the inner lining or lip of the fender, and only under rapid compression of the suspension (ie. if I hit a rapid bump or recess in the road); from the cabin it sounds like a light scraping sound. This naturally rolled the front fender on its own enough so I no longer experience the rub and you like a body shop could preemptively roll the front fender for you. The rears have camber adjustment from the factory so this can be tweaked if necessary but I didn't rub in the rear.

I have some photos of the setup
on my Bimmerpost garage
      04-08-2022, 12:28 PM   #3
premi23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonLion View Post
Hey, I am running the exact same wheel & tire with Dinan springs and no camber plates, albeit on a 228i (Dinan says their springs lower the front by 1/2" on both models). I experienced minor rubbing in the front that did not bother me but what happens is the outer shoulder of the tire will contact the inner lining or lip of the fender, and only under rapid compression of the suspension (ie. if I hit a rapid bump or recess in the road); from the cabin it sounds like a light scraping sound. This naturally rolled the front fender on its own enough so I no longer experience the rub and you like a body shop could preemptively roll the front fender for you. The rears have camber adjustment from the factory so this can be tweaked if necessary but I didn't rub in the rear.

I have some photos of the setup
on my Bimmerpost garage
Awesome. Thank you so much for your reply!!
LOL no way, your car's picture are what made me get these wheels haha
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2022, 10:10 PM   #4
CarbonLion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 228i

Garage List
2015 228i  [0.00]
Glad it helped! I uploaded them because I scoured the forum for pics, etc. when I was shopping too, hoped they would help someone down the line
      04-19-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
premi23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonLion View Post
Glad it helped! I uploaded them because I scoured the forum for pics, etc. when I was shopping too, hoped they would help someone down the line
Hey I'm having second thoughts on installing the springs..
I'm worried about increased shock wear.. how long have you had yours and how have the shocks held up? Do you recommend I just keep it stock or put them on? I got the bump stops too btw..

I just don't want the shocks to prematurely wear out and become a money pit :|
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 07:09 AM   #6
Heitzer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i; BMW S1000RR

I have gone 110k miles with the Dinan Springs on my M235i. The car and shocks are 133k. Yes, I had to put in a new suspension this spring, everything was pretty shot as you would expect. One of the springs was broken. However, the adaptive suspension still worked. So shock wear seems not an issue with the type of lowering the Dinan springs provide. Heard about issue when you drop ride height further though. Hope that helps.
      04-20-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heitzer View Post
I have gone 110k miles with the Dinan Springs on my M235i. The car and shocks are 133k. Yes, I had to put in a new suspension this spring, everything was pretty shot as you would expect. One of the springs was broken. However, the adaptive suspension still worked. So shock wear seems not an issue with the type of lowering the Dinan springs provide. Heard about issue when you drop ride height further though. Hope that helps.
Great to know! Thank you, Im thinking of doing them for mine soon too, just a lil annoyed I had alignment done like less than a month ago and I would have to redo them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by premi23 View Post
Hey I'm having second thoughts on installing the springs..
I'm worried about increased shock wear.. how long have you had yours and how have the shocks held up? Do you recommend I just keep it stock or put them on? I got the bump stops too btw..

I just don't want the shocks to prematurely wear out and become a money pit :|
You can install them on mine and I will have my shock test it for you, we are both LA so local!
Appreciate 0