THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2020 M240i instrumenation

12-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
robian
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240i

2020 M240i instrumenation

I think the first impression I got driving my new 2020 came from the gas pedal. When you step on it, this car pushes you into the seat and flies. No issues at all with the B58's really outstanding performance.

Having said that, my car has no water temperature or oil pressure gauges. I just don't understand BMW's logic for omitting this basic engine data especially on a high performance car. I am constantly wondering if the engine coolant has reached a normal operating temperature and the oil pressure is healthy. I checked my option list and couldn't see anything that I missed. Just curious if anyone else has an issue with missing instrumentation.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by robian View Post
I think the first impression I got driving my new 2020 came from the gas pedal. When you step on it, this car pushes you into the seat and flies. No issues at all with the B58's really outstanding performance.

Having said that, my car has no water temperature or oil pressure gauges. I just don't understand BMW's logic for omitting this basic engine data especially on a high performance car. I am constantly wondering if the engine coolant has reached a normal operating temperature and the oil pressure is healthy. I checked my option list and couldn't see anything that I missed. Just curious if anyone else has an issue with missing instrumentation.
The 2020 model has an oil temperature gauge, this is all you need to know for when the car is ready to thrash. The water will be up to temperature before the oil is ready. I would say that oil pressure is superfluous in indicating when a healthy engine is ready to thrash, as the temperature is the best indicator, the oil pressure starting high when the oil is cold and dropping to a lower pressure when the oil is hot, but without BMW specifying what the correct pressure is for the engine it is difficult to tell what the design pressure should be.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Oil pressure monitoring is simple... Use your ears! Even with a gauge, if it went to zero, by the time you pull over and stop, shut the engine off, the damage will already be done, so what's the worry?

Don't get me wrong, is nice to have, I have it on my beast (2000 Pontiac L67 Supercharged engine) and only once in 40 years of driving has an oil pump ever failed on me. As noted above, with the Turbo Charged engine, oil/engine temp is probably more important to monitor. Engine temp is a selectable feature on the main display between the dash gauges, that is what I have shown. If really necessary, the vent gauge (P3) can show a lot more info (OBDII).

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Oil Temperature gauge > Water Temperature gauge.
Appreciate 0