THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Massive Condom on Car... Is it worth it?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-04-2019, 01:35 AM   #1
YerrowDriver
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: X

iTrader: (0)

Massive Condom on Car... Is it worth it?

Hey Gang,

Been toying with the idea of getting the whole care wrapped, I honestly didn't think I was a condom kind of guy...
Most quote floats around 5k, that's not cheap. I do want and plan on keeping the car until the wheels fall off. BUT is it worth it? Don't worry about it and drive the darn thing?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:14 AM   #2
mb67
In search of the perfect cup of coffee
mb67's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2015 228i Conv
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Personally, I think it's worth it. I got mine wrapped about 8 months ago, and I'm very happy with the results.


Appreciate 2
      12-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #3
morphomeman
Captain
morphomeman's Avatar
244
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235ix
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
OP: what is your reason for doing the wrap?
Is it worth spending that much money to you?
Will it make you happy?
No one else can answer for you.
Some people like wraps a lot, while some people think they are useless.
It's kind of like gambling or fancy restaurants. I have no interest in the former, but will happily drop $1K on the latter, as I did last night, though neither one has any long-term value.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
YerrowDriver
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: X

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb67 View Post
Personally, I think it's worth it. I got mine wrapped about 8 months ago, and I'm very happy with the results.
It looks cool! Can't even see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
OP: what is your reason for doing the wrap?
Is it worth spending that much money to you?
Will it make you happy?
No one else can answer for you.
Some people like wraps a lot, while some people think they are useless.
It's kind of like gambling or fancy restaurants. I have no interest in the former, but will happily drop $1K on the latter, as I did last night, though neither one has any long-term value.
The cost of the install is only one of the considerations... Yes, it is expensive, but I am not sure if it will make me happier =)
Things are made to be used and a car is no different. I remember the first time I went without a case for my phone... So liberating!
We will see... My car wont get here till late Feb... Maybe LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
cooolone2
Private
15
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NY, USA

iTrader: (0)

Not so sure the cost/benefit to these wraps... Same cost to detail and correct paint 10 years later, even with minor paint touch ups.

The real dilemma (for me) has been to decide Ceramic vs Vinyl Wrap. I can't decide, so really can't answer your question. So for the time being I just prepped my paint really well, sealed (2x) and a really nice coat of wax on top to get me through the winter and hopefully decide then, lol.

Good luck in your decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
BimBimM2
Private
20
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: M240xi 'Vert
Join Date: May 2019
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

I can offer some input on this since I went through this exercise not long ago.

Get the front of the car wrapped in Xpel wrap, or something high quality, and get the rest of the car ceramic coated with ceramic pro. Total cost was $2k for me, and totally worth it because now I don't have to worry about waxing and all that shit. Waterless rinse and the car is showroom new.

I don't see the point of wrapping the whole car though. Flying rock chips on the sides and rear aren't the problem, and if something does strike those panels hard enough to leave a mark, your wrap won't protect you.

My advice; focus on keeping the car shiny and looking new; get the front wrapped and the rest coated in ceramic pro and... enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
celsdogg
E4 Mafia
United_States
56
Rep
156
Posts

Drives: E30, E36/5, F22, F30
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb67 View Post
Personally, I think it's worth it. I got mine wrapped about 8 months ago, and I'm very happy with the results.


that looks incredible!
__________________
Squad - E30 325i MT | E36/5 318ti MT | F22 M235i MT | F30 335i MT
KIA - E30 325i AT | E46 325i MT
Appreciate 1
mb6765.00

      12-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #8
joshuastein55
Major
joshuastein55's Avatar
United_States
1752
Rep
1,361
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb67 View Post
Personally, I think it's worth it. I got mine wrapped about 8 months ago, and I'm very happy with the results.


Looks stunning! So refreshing to see some cars in purple
__________________
Current Vehicles: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 AMG/2020 BMW M2 Competition 6MT
Retired Vehicles: 1995 325Ci 5MT/2004 330i 6MT/2011 335xi/2017 540i/2018 Boxster S
Appreciate 1
mb6765.00

      12-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #9
YerrowDriver
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: X

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
I can offer some input on this since I went through this exercise not long ago.

Get the front of the car wrapped in Xpel wrap, or something high quality, and get the rest of the car ceramic coated with ceramic pro. Total cost was $2k for me, and totally worth it because now I don't have to worry about waxing and all that shit. Waterless rinse and the car is showroom new.

I don't see the point of wrapping the whole car though. Flying rock chips on the sides and rear aren't the problem, and if something does strike those panels hard enough to leave a mark, your wrap won't protect you.

My advice; focus on keeping the car shiny and looking new; get the front wrapped and the rest coated in ceramic pro and... enjoy!
Love it!
Yeah I will probably end up with that option!
One question, don't the parts that are wrapped look different than the rest?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #10
John in VA
Major
463
Rep
1,291
Posts

Drives: 2015 228i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leesburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerrowDriver View Post
One question, don't the parts that are wrapped look different than the rest?
I think he's referring to Xpel paint protection film - it's clear vs. a wrap to change the color.
__________________
____________________________________________
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
YerrowDriver
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: X

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
I think he's referring to Xpel paint protection film - it's clear vs. a wrap to change the color.
No no I got it I know its translucent, I wonder if it glosses differently.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #12
John in VA
Major
463
Rep
1,291
Posts

Drives: 2015 228i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leesburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

We ceramic-coated the Xpel on the front & the rest of the Estoril Blue coupe - it's the same shine/gloss on all surfaces.
__________________
____________________________________________
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #13
thebmw
Post Advisor
thebmw's Avatar
327
Rep
987
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs and SRTs
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb67 View Post
Personally, I think it's worth it. I got mine wrapped about 8 months ago, and I'm very happy with the results.


That is a pretty sweet color wrap. What brand and color did you go with?
Appreciate 1
mb6765.00

      12-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #14
YerrowDriver
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: X

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
We ceramic-coated the Xpel on the front & the rest of the Estoril Blue coupe - it's the same shine/gloss on all surfaces.
Cool!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #15
mb67
In search of the perfect cup of coffee
mb67's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2015 228i Conv
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
That is a pretty sweet color wrap. What brand and color did you go with?
Thanks! It's 3M's Gloss Wicked which most of the time looks like an off-black color, but when the light source hits it just right the purple comes out nicely.
Under fluorescent lighting at night -

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:22 AM   #16
mb67
In search of the perfect cup of coffee
mb67's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2015 228i Conv
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Looks stunning! So refreshing to see some cars in purple
Thank you! The car is Alpine White, but there are way too many Alpine White BMW's here in the San Diego area. And since purple is my favorite color, (And getting it painted in BMW's Techno Violet was going to cost a small fortune) I decided to go with a vinyl wrap.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
BimBimM2
Private
20
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: M240xi 'Vert
Join Date: May 2019
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerrowDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
I think he's referring to Xpel paint protection film - it's clear vs. a wrap to change the color.
No no I got it I know its translucent, I wonder if it glosses differently.
Hey sorry I didn't see this till now. So, truthfully, that was my exact worry as well. I took my car to a high end installer based near Minneapolis MN (Glisten Detailing). This guy does super cars daily, and caters to your *ahem* obsessions (hah!) because he is a obsessive perfectionist himself. He wouldn't do a job where the front of the car looked different than the rear, as per him.

Anyway, the difference in gloss, shine, color contrast, "yellowing", you-name-it etc. were my concerns as well and he guaranteed me that won't be the case, "not in the beginning, not over time".

So far I have had the car for six months with this setup, and the naked eye, even the most obsessive one, can't find the difference.

Oh and my car is Alpine White so you can imagine how shitty different gloss levels would have looked!
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #18
Maynard
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1122
Rep
1,730
Posts

Drives: 2016 228iX
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

I don't think the long-term protection angle is worthwhile, but for a dramatic color change these are a great alternative (or if the lack of chips will save you $$$ in psychiatry bills). The clear coats that I've seen seldom look like paint, and the tape-covered look isn't appealing (but perhaps I've walked by a dozen good jobs I couldn't spot?). If you think about it, 10 years from now the resale price difference between great paint and mileage-appropriate paint won't cover the cost. And if you go w/ a wrap, I've heard that it is best to work with somebody who does some disassembly, not just cutting/tucking the wrap into shape.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:36 AM   #19
YerrowDriver
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: X
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: X

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Hey sorry I didn't see this till now. So, truthfully, that was my exact worry as well. I took my car to a high end installer based near Minneapolis MN (Glisten Detailing). This guy does super cars daily, and caters to your *ahem* obsessions (hah!) because he is a obsessive perfectionist himself. He wouldn't do a job where the front of the car looked different than the rear, as per him.

Anyway, the difference in gloss, shine, color contrast, "yellowing", you-name-it etc. were my concerns as well and he guaranteed me that won't be the case, "not in the beginning, not over time".

So far I have had the car for six months with this setup, and the naked eye, even the most obsessive one, can't find the difference.

Oh and my car is Alpine White so you can imagine how shitty different gloss levels would have looked!
Oh thank you for this!
Yeah, after this I am pretty sure this is the route I will take!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST