THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning High Oil temps - Dual oil coolers

10-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #1
Dw_21
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

Lightbulb High Oil temps - Dual oil coolers

I have been having issues on track with oil temperatures reaching up to 131.C (267F). These were only from 5-8mins worth of track time.

Im running bootmod3 stg2 with FBO including both an upgraded IC and a modified thermostat which circulates the oil into the oil cooler at lower temps.

Switched to the CSF Oil cooler a few weeks later but temps have only dropped down marginally 129C (264F). Track ambient was around ~31C
Is anybody else having the same experience?

There's surprisingly little in terms of options out there. However, I did stumble across this dual oil cooler setup from Elite-works motorsports (UK based):
Name:  IMG_1070.JPG
Views: 2024
Size:  269.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1071.JPG
Views: 1393
Size:  269.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1072.JPG
Views: 1429
Size:  237.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1073.JPG
Views: 1399
Size:  193.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1074.JPG
Views: 1334
Size:  272.2 KB

Each cooler has 19rows as opposed to the stock 14 (CSF's also uses 14 front and additional 5 rows behind those). The above setup shown was taken from this very inspiring build:

Similarly, he's also experienced high oil temps and went through the CSF route. I believe he's said on his social that with the dual setup, trackday temps now only hover around 110C (230F). Although this was for an F20, im pretty sure it'd fit the F22 as majority of the parts are the same.

Elite-works have said that they currently only offer it as an installed kit. However, with enough interest they'd be able to ship internationally. Expected pricing at £600-£850. Included in the kit:
AN steel braided hose with nylon black sheafing.
AN High quality fittings.
2x 19 Row oil coolers.
Special adaptor for n55 oil pick-ups.
Mounting brackets that utilise oem threaded holes (no drilling and riv nut need)

Am hoping for this to gain enough traction to get this kit packaged If anyone else is interested please drop this gentleman an email: jay@elite-works.co.uk
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

What oil are you using? And has you system been inspected - those temps seem high.
      10-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

267F is completely fine assuming you're using a quality oil and changing it often if this is a track car. Per BMW literature, guard mode doesn't kick on until 302F and emergency mode at 325F.

Assuming the M135 has the same auxiliary coolers that came on the N55 M235 and M2, oil cooling is not an issue for these cars and don't have the oil overheating issues that afflict prior turbo BMW motors.

My M235 routinely operates in the 240-250F oil temp range during normal city driving. On back roads where I'm driving hard for extended periods, I've seen 255F. Lots of M235 and M2 owners report 250-270F oil temps on the track.
      10-06-2021, 10:08 PM   #4
Dw_21
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
267F is completely fine assuming you're using a quality oil and changing it often if this is a track car. Per BMW literature, guard mode doesn't kick on until 302F and emergency mode at 325F.

Assuming the M135 has the same auxiliary coolers that came on the N55 M235 and M2, oil cooling is not an issue for these cars and don't have the oil overheating issues that afflict prior turbo BMW motors.

My M235 routinely operates in the 240-250F oil temp range during normal city driving. On back roads where I'm driving hard for extended periods, I've seen 255F. Lots of M235 and M2 owners report 250-270F oil temps on the track.
I've used shell ultra, motul and liqui moly 5w-40. After the switch to the csf cooler I've tried liquimoly, castrol and royal purple but again at 5w-40. Should i be looking into a different viscosity/weight?

The m135 and our cars do indeed share the same oil cooler but the baby m2 have a slightly larger setup (15 front rows vs our 14, unsure on the overall core volume differences). Interestingly, the issue of high oil temps seems to be more documented over on the m2 forums:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=pikes

Quote:
When we first tested this car we could go about 10 minutes or 5-6 laps before approaching 250* coolant temps and 280* oil temperatures (this was at 65* ambient testing in the early spring. .
This was from Tyspeed's pikespeak m2 (i am aware the air is thinner at alt but the quote was a year before pikespeak testing). Im not sure whether his first tests quoted here were with the stock or csf cooler but either way, they seemed inadequate and hes switched to a much larger v mounted core.

The m235ir AFAIK also run custom dual setup (active autowerks, hittmann racing). Dont know if you'd call this an extreme case, but they do run at 'only' 280whp.

Yes, there's still a fair bit to go before hitting those limp mode temps from bmw (300F) but surely it helps to keep temps down much lower for track longevity
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw_21 View Post

The m235ir AFAIK also run custom dual setup (active autowerks, hittmann racing). Dont know if you'd call this an extreme case, but they do run at 'only' 280whp.

Yes, there's still a fair bit to go before hitting those limp mode temps from bmw (300F) but surely it helps to keep temps down much lower for track longevity
I'm not aware of the oil cooler setup on the m235ir. I do know those cars ran the S55 oil pump/baffle setup (same as used in the M2 N55) and I believe that setup is FAR more important to install on an M235 if you're doing track work (not auto-x). The reason being sustained Gs can starve the oil pump and a rod bearing can be lost as a result.

The days of worrying about sustained 250-270 oil temps are long gone. Oil tech has improved dramatically over the past 10 years. As such, BMW has designed the oiling system on the M235 and M cars to manage the heat and during normal driving, the N55, S55, B58, and S58 motors aim for 240-250F oil temps. To hit 265-270F during a typical track outing doesn't seem significant too me, especially given the existing DME safeguards.

It could be that the heavier weight oil you're using could be elevating the oil temps slightly (5F to 10F) over that the 30W BMW specifies in these cars. However, I'm not saying using a quality 40W is a bad thing. I'd probably do the same if I were tracking the car.

Now if your M235 is going to be a track only car and being raced competitively (20+ laps), then you probably should explore a more extensive oil cooling setup. Just remember that race car parts rarely work well on a street car or vice versa.

Last edited by XutvJet; 10-07-2021 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
aerobod3612.00
      10-10-2021, 07:21 AM   #6
TYC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i TE

Delete the heat exchanger and make the oil cooling system stand alone. That what I did along with using a custom do88 oil cooler and custom cf duct. My oil temps generally sit around 195-210f

I’m custom tuned. Fbo as well.mosselman thermostat. I use millers ester racing oils 5w40

Check my ig for build info or ask questions here.
Happy to help where I can.
Cscs time attack - street rwd
Who says a race car can’t also be a show car?!?!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 04:16 AM   #7
Dw_21
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYC View Post
Delete the heat exchanger and make the oil cooling system stand alone. That what I did along with using a custom do88 oil cooler and custom cf duct. My oil temps generally sit around 195-210f

I’m custom tuned. Fbo as well.mosselman thermostat. I use millers ester racing oils 5w40

Check my ig for build info or ask questions here.
Happy to help where I can.
Awesome build! I assume the kit was for the m2. I saw that you had to relocate the horns however, it seems that their kit doesnt affect the horn location for the m2. Does the m2 have a different horn location compared to ours or did the do88 brackets not work with the f22?

As its a single cooler setup, any reason why you didn't opt for the ER oil cooler instead? Their core size seems to be larger than the do88's.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 06:40 AM   #8
TYC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i TE

Yes. It was a m2 kit. They are one of my sponsors and we were testing to see if it would fit the m235. And as you saw in the thread it doesn’t without a lot of mods.
I went with do88 because I really wanted to work with them and try their stuff.
They are a very nice group of people and I think they make a great product.
It’s worked very well for me so far.

I think the do88 cooler and mosselman thermostat really did the trick. Everything thing else we did was frosting on the cake
Cscs time attack - street rwd
Who says a race car can’t also be a show car?!?!
Appreciate 0