THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Removed my interior side covers for a bit more natural exhaust sounds

09-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Due to how much sound insulation our cars have combined with ASD, the interior sound has never matched my B58's actual exhaust note. It's frustrated me because ASD almost gives off 4 cylinder sounds instead of I6, IMO.

I came across this thread on the M2 forums:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1228618

I decided it was worth a shot to remove the interior panels that BMW installs on the F22 but not the F87. BMW simply calls them "interior side covers" and they seem to be made of fairly thick aluminum. These are definitely NOT structural in any way as they are pressed on with plastic clips that can be pulled out with a strong fingernail.

BMW calls for removal of the rear seat belts and seat backs. This is not necessary.

First, you'll want to remove the rear seat bottoms. This is a 15 second job. There are 3 clips at the front of the seat and you simply lift up at each clip (left, center, right), tilt, and pull out of the car.

Next, the seat side panels need to come out. After you fold the seat backs down (make sure you cover the center seat bottom clip with a towel to save your leather) you can simply pull at the top of the panel, then lift up per the instructions here:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...lts/1VnXdK8HIJ

These side panels will feel like they do NOT want to come out, but you won't break anything. Just get your fingers behind the upper side panel and pull forward with some strength.

Now we can remove the side panels. They are clipped in with no screws per the photos below. I started at the bottom closest to the door opening and popped it all the way up to the seat belt attachment. Both side panels killed one clip, so I recommend buying at least 2 replacement white clips during this process.

Now we can remove the metal side panels. A fingernail is enough, but a flat head screwdriver is more comfortable. Just slide it under and pop all 6 out!

Reinstall is the reverse of removal. I found the door weatherstrip gets in the way of the interior panel, so be careful of that and watch your clips!

Now for sound.

There is a notable difference in exhaust sound. I can actually hear the straight 6 sounds behind me instead of simply hearing ASD drone all the time. Maybe I'll code ASD out soon. There is a tad bit of extra rear wheel road noise, but it's only maybe 5-10% more. Nothing that I'd expect anyone wanting more exhaust sounds to have an issue with!

It took me about 45-60 minutes to complete this process and I'd say it was worth it. Only parts needed for the entire thing are two replacement panel clips.
Attached Images