THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Which tires wear fastest on the xdrives?

09-18-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Which tires wear fastest on the xdrives?

Do our cars eat fronts or rears faster with xdrive?

I had to replace my rears and the fronts have 10k miles. Wondering if I should swap those.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

i always replace all four, but i'm weird.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

With x drive you are supposed to replace them all as a set, unless you get a shaved down one for replacing a flat. I can't say if it is truly necessary, but I was told this is standard info. Apparently the mismatch in diameters front-rear will put constant strain on the transfer case. Since the stock staggered ones aren't exact, it can tolerate some amount of discrepancy.

In general, the answer to your Q is that if you do a lot of turning hard, you'll eat fronts more than rears (outside edges). That has been my experience, but it didn't really show badly until I tracked it. You'd need to ask somebody who drag races but I think it is harder to really abuse an X-drive in acceleration, and wear would be more even depending on if you can break all 4 loose, or just one end (that's where the wear comes). These cars are fairly sensitive to alignment issues, and mine comes out of alignment over a year or so of potholes and rumble strips; this is probably more of an issue for tire wear than anything else unless you are tracking.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

I have a square set up, so I rotate every 10K with my service intervals. I get about 40-45K our of my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+. I find my rears tend to take a bit more wear than the fronts. When driving with some spirit, I will throttle out of the apex and being a rear wheel drive bias AWD system, the rear tires tend to take more wear. Not much, but definitely noticeable between rotations.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

I was going to replace all four but the dealer assured me that it wasn't an issue with such a minor variation. I'm square with AS3+s as well.
Appreciate 0