THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Intercooler install question - OK to totally remove plastic shroud?

09-16-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Intercooler install question - OK to totally remove plastic shroud?

So my VRSF HD intercooler arrived and not being in the mood to do the install on ramps I had a local shop put install it for me. When I got the car back they gave me the plastic shroud that surrounded the old intercooler and said they couldnt get it to fit with this piece in place.

I haven't noticed any issues but am worried this piece is necessary for airflow or something, I am stressing for no reason and it's OK to leave this out?

Last edited by Murf; 09-16-2020 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 11:06 PM   #2
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
So my VRSF HD intercooler arrived and not being in the mood to do the install on ramps I had a local shop put install it for me. When I got the car back they gave me the plastic shroud that surrounded the old intercooler and said they couldnt get it to fit with this piece in place.

I haven't noticed any issues but am worried this piece is necessary for airflow or something, I am stressing for no reason and it's OK to leave this out?
Pics? There's a rectangular black flap that attaches to the stock IC at the bottom, but everything else stays from my experience
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:19 AM   #3
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

I removed front bumper to do my CSF intercooler install. It’s on the large size. Many people will still install these without bumper removal. I was able to get a good look at all the plastic shrouds. Nothing had to come out and I suspect VRSF should be no different.

The shrouds are important to maintain flow through the radiator and not around it.

Complain.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Here is a pic of the shroud. They did not remove the bumper and it looks like they cut it to get it out of the way. Question - if I just take off the bumper myself does this piece just slot into place in front of the intercooler? Might be easier just to do this at home.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post

I don't think it's a big deal, but I have't heard anyone say a shroud needed to be removed.

thejeremyman9 Did you have any issues?