THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Ordered '21 M240ix - no production # yet?

09-10-2020, 02:44 PM   #23
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by amutti View Post
That's easy... I have trust issues, especially buying a used BMW. CPO convertible M240i xDrives have been non-existent all around me in July and August. I don't wants black, silver or white. So trust issues and I'm picky.
Similar situation...hubby wanted either Snapper Rocks Blue, Long Beach Blue, or Estoril Blue and red leather interior. He doesn't like dark colors like black, dk blue, due to upkeep or black interiors since it's so hot where we live.
'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #24
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVito View Post
hubby wanted either Snapper Rocks Blue, Long Beach Blue, or Estoril Blue and red leather interior.
That does sound like a special order combination.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Yes, I have never seen a "Superman" combination in stock anywhere.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00
      09-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #26
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
what are you looking for that's so hard to find?
We want certain blue colors: Long Beach Blue, Snapper Rocks Blue, Estoril blue w/red leather, 6 cyl. M-sport (no M2/M4). (He just retired and for the first time ever I talked him into building a car they way he wants it.) I chose the M240i bc we couldn't order 440i anymore and don't like new 2021 front. Need small to midsize and back seat (for our dog :-D ) It's going to be a daily driver. He just gave his old car to his kids so we only have one car now, but we'll have 2 X5s when my new one comes in. Might end up settling for something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #27
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
We want certain blue colors: Long Beach Blue, Snapper Rocks Blue, Estoril blue w/red leather, 6 cyl. M-sport (no M2/M4). (He just retired and for the first time ever I talked him into building a car they way he wants it.) I chose the M240i bc we couldn't order 440i anymore and don't like new 2021 front. Need small to midsize and back seat (for our dog :-D ) It's going to be a daily driver. He just gave his old car to his kids so we only have one car now, but we'll have 2 X5s when my new one comes in. Might end up settling for something else.
A little background and a suggestion from someone who worked in the industry for a few decades.

What is happening most likely is that at some point a year or so ago, BMWNA forecast their optimal profit sales mix and shared that with BMWAG. That info was used to set the plant mix at Leipzig, where the 2 Series is cross-loaded with other vehicles. BMWAG then decides what mix they can build for their overall optimal profit. It is possible that 2 Series was used as a "filler" if the other vehicles built there had higher per-unit margins but didn't quite fill the plant's capacity. Within the 2 Series mix, major components are forecast....body panels to be stamped, powertrains to be built, etc. Those are the long lead items. Paint color is not. Based on what capacity is scheduled, allocations are generated and offered via BMWNA to the dealer network. Your dealer then either has or tries to acquire an allocation for an available production slot.

So, if you are finding it is difficult to get this vehicle scheduled. the key opportunities for you are to have flexibility on the powertrain. If they already have a lot of demand for 240 with XDrive, there may be an opportunity for the 230 with or without XDrive or for 240 with rear wheel drive (we discussed above that in Florida, this is truly a non-issue). You can ask the dealer if any other combination of this long-lead production item has more/immediate production availability if yours is still "stuck".
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
bobkat09151.50
PDM5150.00
      09-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #28
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
We actually found a 440i that was perfect, in FL where we live, and when I called they said someone in CA just bought it and was having it shipped there.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #29
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I've looked at quite a few photos of 2 Series cars and had never even thought of it as a combination (which it is, obviously).

Quote:
We actually found a 440i that was perfect, in FL where we live, and when I called they said someone in CA just bought it and was having it shipped there.
It's possible that 440i was special-ordered and then not taken by the buyer. Mine was, and I felt extremely lucky to find it.

I'd taken a run at the special ordering process and found that between dealers with no allocations and what Sportstick is talking about, if I wanted a car in a reasonable amount of time I'd need to redouble my efforts to find what I was looking for, whether used or new, 230 or 240.
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00
      09-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #30
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's easy... I have trust issues, especially buying a used BMW. CPO convertible M240i xDrives have been non-existent all around me in July and August. I don't wants black, silver or white. So trust issues and I'm picky.
I agree with the trust issues regardless if it's CPO or brand new. I've had a lemon BMW years ago, when they had excellent ratings, and I don't trust new at all no matter the make.
Appreciate 1
amutti95.50
      09-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #31
amutti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with the trust issues regardless if it's CPO or brand new. I've had a lemon BMW years ago, when they had excellent ratings, and I don't trust new at all no matter the make.
I haven't had a bmw in 12 years, but I loved my 3 series convertible. After an unexpected extra baby I had to sell it and get a bigger car (couldn't fit two reverse car seats in it and still drive safely.) In five years of ownership I never had any issues whatsoever. I ordered it too, but had it 10 weeks after my deposit. Definitely caught off guard this time. Especially since the dealer told me I had an allocation. A little shocked this week.

Honestly, right now I just want a build number and a date. It can be November, December or January. It would give me something to wait for. The 2 series xdrive convertible is a perfect fit for my needs (I live in New England and I enjoy a convertible). I really wanted the M240 just to have sporty car with a little bragging rights and extra room. I'm driving a Mita now and really could use the extra "emergency" backseats when I unexpectedly have to pick up more than one kid. It really fits the niche that I'm in. Oh well. I don't need a new car now, so I can be patient for bit. Disappointed with the dealer though. I do have a truck for snowy weather. So we wait...
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00
      09-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #32
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A little background and a suggestion from someone who worked in the industry for a few decades.

What is happening most likely is that at some point a year or so ago, BMWNA forecast their optimal profit sales mix and shared that with BMWAG. That info was used to set the plant mix at Leipzig, where the 2 Series is cross-loaded with other vehicles. BMWAG then decides what mix they can build for their overall optimal profit. It is possible that 2 Series was used as a "filler" if the other vehicles built there had higher per-unit margins but didn't quite fill the plant's capacity. Within the 2 Series mix, major components are forecast....body panels to be stamped, powertrains to be built, etc. Those are the long lead items. Paint color is not. Based on what capacity is scheduled, allocations are generated and offered via BMWNA to the dealer network. Your dealer then either has or tries to acquire an allocation for an available production slot.

So, if you are finding it is difficult to get this vehicle scheduled. the key opportunities for you are to have flexibility on the powertrain. If they already have a lot of demand for 240 with XDrive, there may be an opportunity for the 230 with or without XDrive or for 240 with rear wheel drive (we discussed above that in Florida, this is truly a non-issue). You can ask the dealer if any other combination of this long-lead production item has more/immediate production availability if yours is still "stuck".
Thanks for the helpful info. We might consider the rear wheel drive if it helps. Too bad BMW does that allocation planning; it's disappointing. I imagine people might take their money and just go to another make and not look back.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #33
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful info. We might consider the rear wheel drive if it helps. Too bad BMW does that allocation planning; it's disappointing. I imagine people might take their money and just go to another make and not look back.
The entire industry works on this basis, perhaps with the exception of high end custom vehicles. Depending on demand versus plant capacity and sales planning, you will find this at Mercedes-Benz, Audi, etc. The goal in the plants is to have a stable, repeatable, and robust process. This requires advance forecasting and broadcasting of needed parts to all of the external suppliers who send parts to the plant. If a supplier has tooled for volume X per day of a needed part, a vehicle ordered that needs that part may also be constrained if the ordering reaches X+. Then, each station is carefully timed for the operation. For example, if it takes longer to install a certain option than the same car without that option, the number of orders for that option will be constrained so they can be spaced out over much production to keep the line moving smoothly. That can delay new orders coming in.

If the capacity was open, any manufacturer will be very pleased to build the ordered car, especially if ordered for a retail sale and not wholesale inventory. When constraints exist, there are usually very significant reasons which may not be clear to the buyer. I recall when we had to limit the build of an entire model because the standard wheel was sourced from a supplier who had one of their molds crack and out of operation and Sales would not approve forcing optional wheels. Orders were delayed until the wheel supply could be restored. Right now, orders may be constrained if a particular supplier is at sub-optimal volumes due to COVID. So many things could be going on!

In cases of an order not making progress, as noted before, the solution may involve a bit of detective work by your Sales Advisor with BMWNA in New Jersey or a local field/zone rep to find out the constraint and what they are open to build.

Hope that makes sense! Good luck!
Appreciate 2
amutti95.50
Moflow2484.50
      09-10-2020, 06:36 PM   #34
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The entire industry works on this basis, perhaps with the exception of high end custom vehicles. Depending on demand versus plant capacity and sales planning, you will find this at Mercedes-Benz, Audi, etc. The goal in the plants is to have a stable, repeatable, and robust process. This requires advance forecasting and broadcasting of needed parts to all of the external suppliers who send parts to the plant. If a supplier has tooled for volume X per day of a needed part, a vehicle ordered that needs that part may also be constrained if the ordering reaches X+. Then, each station is carefully timed for the operation. For example, if it takes longer to install a certain option than the same car without that option, the number of orders for that option will be constrained so they can be spaced out over much production to keep the line moving smoothly. That can delay new orders coming in.

If the capacity was open, any manufacturer will be very pleased to build the ordered car, especially if ordered for a retail sale and not wholesale inventory. When constraints exist, there are usually very significant reasons which may not be clear to the buyer. I recall when we had to limit the build of an entire model because the standard wheel was sourced from a supplier who had one of their molds crack and out of operation and Sales would not approve forcing optional wheels. Orders were delayed until the wheel supply could be restored. Right now, orders may be constrained if a particular supplier is at sub-optimal volumes due to COVID. So many things could be going on!

In cases of an order not making progress, as noted before, the solution may involve a bit of detective work by your Sales Advisor with BMWNA in New Jersey or a local field/zone rep to find out the constraint and what they are open to build.

Hope that makes sense! Good luck!
Excellent information, thanks so much! That explains a lot. I will pressure my dealer to do something. I was going to contact BMW group myself too.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #35
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

Well I at least got the production week for the allocation, week 42 which is October 12 -18. Also found out the X5M are built in the US (Greer) as opposed to M240 in Leipzig. Could be why you got the build # so fast.

I still have my very first, ordered new, BMW. It was ordered in March of 2004, built in April and I took delivery of it in the first week of June. It has 115,000 miles on it and still purrs like a kitten. It only has two wheels though 2005 K1200LT and we will be taking it to the Smoky Mountains the week they are building my M240.
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00
      09-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #36
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Ah, I can see why that's hard to find. It's hard enough to find the red seats I feel like. But with the blue on the exterior, close to impossible. Add in a manual and it's a unicorn! Lol. Good luck with your search.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #37
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's funny! Maybe the car's name will be Superman.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #38
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's funny! Maybe the car's name will be Superman.
I cannot take any credit for that at all....it has a long history!

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...light=Superman

Just don't drive near any green Kryptonite!
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00
      09-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #39
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Ah, okay... we're looking forward to having it. Dealer emailed me today that they finally got an allocation. We should get a production # soon. Looks like mid October/November delivery. I hope that's true.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #40
amutti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, okay... we're looking forward to having it. Dealer emailed me today that they finally got an allocation. We should get a production # soon. Looks like mid October/November delivery. I hope that's true.
So jealous... hopefully that's a good omen for me. I checked today and still no allocation.
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00
      09-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #41
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So jealous... hopefully that's a good omen for me. I checked today and still no allocation.
I bet you'll get yours soon. Maybe they're releasing a bunch of them... not sure exactly how they ration them out. The other day, I emailed our dealer if they could do something to fast-track it somehow; I also mentioned I would call BMWNA. They didn't respond to my email but maybe they were successful in talking to someone. I'll ask on Wednesday when we pick up our new X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:31 AM   #42
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
We are in the middle of a pandemic. Germany has managed to keep their case numbers lower than just about any other country, including immediate neighbors like France. This affects production of everything. Add to that the fact that the F22-3 is a low-production model in its last year and that the only plant where it is manufactured was closed for longer than normal and is reopening very slowly.
The result of all this is longer build delays than normal, because WE ARE NOT LIVING IN NORMAL TIMES.
As for the person who is worried about losing the $1000 discount, I can't imagine the dealer or BMW NA denying it if the order has already been placed.
I would not wait for a 2022. That will be the first year of an entirely new model. Never a great bet.
Appreciate 3
RPM90889.50
Heitzer103.00
MissVito212.00
      09-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #43
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
FWIW, we live in FL and when the torrential rainfall and severe thunderstorms hit the all wheel drive will be nice to have.
I'm curious, what benefit do you think AWD will give you in rain and severe thunderstorms?
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00
      09-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #44
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
We are in the middle of a pandemic. Germany has managed to keep their case numbers lower than just about any other country, including immediate neighbors like France. This affects production of everything. Add to that the fact that the F22-3 is a low-production model in its last year and that the only plant where it is manufactured was closed for longer than normal and is reopening very slowly.
The result of all this is longer build delays than normal, because WE ARE NOT LIVING IN NORMAL TIMES.
As for the person who is worried about losing the $1000 discount, I can't imagine the dealer or BMW NA denying it if the order has already been placed.
I would not wait for a 2022. That will be the first year of an entirely new model. Never a great bet.
I'm with you, except for the last comment.
Modern automotive construction is amazing compared to decades ago.
I don't fear new model year cars at all.

To add to your comments, in general, all of the parts needed to build automobiles are not built in any one country, regardless of which country the "home" manufacturer is in. Regardless of whether one approves or disproves of our global economy, the reality is that the great majority of the countries around our world are interconnected and dependent on other countries for a great number of their personal daily and manufacturing needs.

BMW is one of the remaining auto manufacturers that does a rather great job at building custom ordered vehicles. Audi, MB, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo all run distant 2nds and lower by comparison, and forget about it with American auto makers. Toyota and VW are the largest, by far, vehicle manufactures in the world, and forget about custom ordering anything from them in a reasonable amount of time. BMW averages around 10-12 weeks to North America, and that's excellent.

I inquired about a VW Golf-R about 3 years ago as I was considering an electric blue R with DSG. Three Chicago area dealers said I'd have much better luck "finding" one in the US, and if I ordered, just to get the color I wanted, it could be 4 months minimal and would likely take 6 to 9 months! LOL! VW if f'ing nutz. And that's paying full retail MSRP. With my custom ordered BMWs I've never paid close to MSRP.
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00