THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2022 2 series coupe hits the road...

07-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #23
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
In 2002, I picked up a new 325 in Munich via ED and then spent the next month or so in Europe, mostly working. I did manage to get through the break-in period and then drove from Dusseldorf to Berlin and back, a few hundred miles each way, doing as much of it as I could at 200 k/h (125 mph), which I felt was the limit of my own competence. I shipped to car home after the month was up (in those days they threw in a month of insurance) and kept it for over a dozen years. Great car, great memories of driving at Autobahn speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #24
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
I thought this is the next gen 1 series Sedan in China
IMO, the C pillar slope is more consistent with a coupe than a sedan.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #25
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Won't buy anything built in Mexico... Let alone the first couple years a model is built there. Mexico, is not Germany! You can put your factories there, but unless you're importing the workers too, there's a world of difference! Don't care about QC, because all manufacturing has percentage of defect, and you don't catch 100% anywhere. Built in Germany minimizes that % of defect due to the skill of the workers. If Mexico was that good, they'd be designing and building their own cars long ago! So sorry Charlie, I'm glad I got my 20' M240 while I could and I'll hang on to her!
Appreciate 2
bobkat09151.50
      07-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #26
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Won't buy anything built in Mexico... Let alone the first couple years a model is built there. Mexico, is not Germany! You can put your factories there, but unless you're importing the workers too, there's a world of difference! Don't care about QC, because all manufacturing has percentage of defect, and you don't catch 100% anywhere. Built in Germany minimizes that % of defect due to the skill of the workers. If Mexico was that good, they'd be designing and building their own cars long ago! So sorry Charlie, I'm glad I got my 20' M240 while I could and I'll hang on to her!
Around 50% of BMWs (possibly the majority this year) are not assembled in Germany and those that are produced in Germany have worldwide sourced parts. If you look at the parts source of your German assembled BMW you will find plenty of parts in there manufactured in China and Mexico, amongst other countries.

We had a MK4 VW Jetta Wagon that was German built and a friend had the same year sedan built in Mexico. You couldn't see any quality differences between them and our car was less reliable over the 4 years we owned it. Another friend has a Mexican built 2015 VW Golf and we have a German built 2016 Golf R, there is no difference in quality between them and both have been reliable. About the only difference between the cars is that one has a VIN starting in "W", the other a VIN starting in "3".

In terms of skilled labour, the skill level in Mexican automotive factories is likely to be higher than in the rest of the world in the near future due to the new NAFTA/CUSMA/USMCA agreement that came into force on 1 July. The agreement says that 40% of a vehicle content produced in the source country has to be at an average wage of USD$16 and above to avoid tariffs. This will make Mexican automotive industry jobs more attractive than other industries in Mexico, drawing the most talented workers relative to the population.

Last edited by aerobod; 07-22-2020 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 3
dradernh4347.50
      07-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #27
CDN-Driver
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman

My take is that "some" research and caution may be warranted about the quality of the cars coming out of the SLP plant.

The thing is all G42s will be made there, and if this car turns out great, I will not pass on it because it is made in Mexico.
      07-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #28
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

I honestly think we are going to be Okay with the grill. And I am loving the Mexico delivery because I can pick up my car, go for a vacation, think Purerto Villarta, and drive home. Only if my 2 didn't have only 16.5K on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #29
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Won't buy anything built in Mexico...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
About the only difference between the cars is that one has a VIN starting in "W", the other a VIN starting in "3".
cooolone, while built in Germany may have a different ring to it than made in Mexico, I've found what Aerobod says to be fairly accurate. These days, where a car is assembled is mostly irrelevant; parts are sourced globally regardless of where final assembly occurs, and most of the final assembly is done by machines anyways. If you want hand-crafted, you need to start looking WAY upscale from BMW at the likes of Lamborghini, Bugatti & Pagani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
And I am loving the Mexico delivery because I can pick up my car, go for a vacation, think Purerto Villarta, and drive home.
Have they announced a Mexico delivery program? I'd be up for that! (or down for that I guess, since I'm north of Mexico). I know it's not the same as a two week vacation in Europe with a new car, but I'd take two weeks off to drive across Mexico and most of the USA!
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4650.00
      07-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #30
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Have they announced a Mexico delivery program? I'd be up for that! (or down for that I guess, since I'm north of Mexico). I know it's not the same as a two week vacation in Europe with a new car, but I'd take two weeks off to drive across Mexico and most of the USA!
I assume that "South of the border delivery" was a joke. Potentially fun idea, but, no, that ain't happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 05:58 AM   #31
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
The European delivery does not take place at the plant, but at a dedicated facility at BMW HQ in Munich, to which cars are brought from the place of manufacture (in the case of the 2-series, Leipzig, near Berlin, nowhere near Munich). There is a similar delivery facility in Spartanburg South Carolina, where the largest BMW plant in the world happens to be. In order for a Mexican delivery program to be viable, the plant there would have to produce very large numbers of vehicles, which it is not set up to to, at least for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #32
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

If there was delivery at the plant in Mexico, it would be unlikely you would be able to easily drive the car across the border into the US and then continue driving the car. The amount of paperwork and the need to prove compliance with US regulations (harder when you break the chain of custody when it is not sent from the plant on a transporter) would make it a nightmare for individual import, easier to just pick up the car in the US and drive into Mexico and back, if it is about a road trip.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 09:51 AM   #33
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
The European delivery does not take place at the plant, but at a dedicated facility at BMW HQ in Munich, to which cars are brought from the place of manufacture (in the case of the 2-series, Leipzig, near Berlin, nowhere near Munich). There is a similar delivery facility in Spartanburg South Carolina, where the largest BMW plant in the world happens to be. In order for a Mexican delivery program to be viable, the plant there would have to produce very large numbers of vehicles, which it is not set up to to, at least for now.
True, the BMW Welt where Euro delivery takes (or, sadly, took) place isn't at the plant where the 2-series is assembled, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to say that it's at "a plant." It's in the same cluster of BMW buildings as the venerable Munich plant where 3 & 4 series cars are made. BMW headquarters and museum are also in that cluster.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #34
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
I wonder if you can do Mexican Delivery. Could stop by the farmacia and then just drive it home to CA! Also, I know it won't, but please car gods let the M240i come with a B58 (probably) and manual option (probably not).

hahahahaaa, stop by the farmacia... for what?

MD? i would not suggest it, i caught the recent Rambo.... no senor!

there's something of a real experience lost in enjoying a german bred car in your hands in its own country, giving its last stroll, before shipping it off to you back where you're from.

lets do this another way.... i'd PAY $200 to the dealer for the right to book an ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #35
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Please don't have those god awful 2021 4-series headlights.
      12-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #36
Gilles79
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i cabrio, 2022 X5 40i

An update - hopefully some camo will start coming off soon.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...h-winter-tests
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #37
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 2018

Looks similar

I don’t see much of a change body wise. If they don’t screw with the grill I could live with it. Sounds like no vert option ?
I still like the fact that when I sit in my car I know it was built in Germany. Makes it seem even more cool.
Hap
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 01:59 AM   #38
Heitzer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i; BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles79 View Post
An update - hopefully some camo will start coming off soon.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...h-winter-tests
This is the most interesting part:
"As before, the M2 should also retain a manual gearbox option, along with select variants of the standard 2 Series Coupé line-up"

The consensus in forums so far seemed to be no manual for non-M2.

I have been looking in Germany for a used 2 series. BMW dropped the manual for the 2017 LCI sadly . Would be surprising if they add it back.. We'll see..
      12-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #39
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heitzer View Post
This is the most interesting part:
"As before, the M2 should also retain a manual gearbox option, along with select variants of the standard 2 Series Coupé line-up"

The consensus in forums so far seemed to be no manual for non-M2.

I have been looking in Germany for a used 2 series. BMW dropped the manual for the 2017 LCI sadly . Would be surprising if they add it back.. We'll see..
Base 4-cylinder engined Z4s in Europe have manual transmissions, so those same drivetrains are the most likely to receive it in the G42 2-series coupe, as it is the same platform.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #40
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Base 4-cylinder engined Z4s in Europe have manual transmissions, so those same drivetrains are the most likely to receive it in the G42 2-series coupe, as it is the same platform.
From a development/investment point of view, that powertrain in the G42 would require it's own vehicle crash program to meet FMVSS and TransportCanada requirements, and it adds powertrain complexity to the plant, which has a facilitization and sourcing costs. The business case seems, sadly, weak, to support our desired outcome, considering the low mix.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #41
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
From a development/investment point of view, that powertrain in the G42 would require it's own vehicle crash program to meet FMVSS and TransportCanada requirements, and it adds powertrain complexity to the plant, which has a facilitization and sourcing costs. The business case seems, sadly, weak, to support our desired outcome, considering the low mix.
Yes, it is highly unlikely that North America will receive the European drivetrains with the smaller engines and manual transmission, as has been the case with previous models. Basically the 2.0 lower output cars with the manual may be built in Mexico, then shipped to Europe, but not north of the border.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 11:29 PM   #42
Heitzer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i; BMW S1000RR

You are right guys! Forgot for a moment that the UK still offers a manual in their base 4 cylinders (218i 138 hp). That's what autocar was likely referring to as standard lineup.
      12-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #43
schnellwagen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i SULEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
cooolone, while built in Germany may have a different ring to it than made in Mexico, I've found what Aerobod says to be fairly accurate. These days, where a car is assembled is mostly irrelevant; parts are sourced globally regardless of where final assembly occurs, and most of the final assembly is done by machines anyways. If you want hand-crafted, you need to start looking WAY upscale from BMW at the likes of Lamborghini, Bugatti & Pagani.

They should introduce a "factory pickup" option available to US and Canada customers where you can pick up your car at the factory it's built at (both Mexico and South Carolina) and drive it home from there. For Mexico, they would include temporary Mexican plates, comprehensive insurance, and maybe even a complimentary toll pass for Mexico's toll highways.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #44
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

If built in Mexico, I see a benefit for North American buyers not having to contend with the ocean voyage of their cars. I always dreaded storms during the voyage.

Our BMW was delayed in Southampton when the car transport broke down. They had to off load all the vehicles and transfer them to another ship adding 2 weeks to the delivery.

As far as quality, I don't think there will be a nickel's worth of difference whether the car is assembled in Mexico or Germany. All are just parts sitting on an assembly line and will be installed as they would anywhere else. They are not handcrafted by local labor. They put the seats in the car, bolt them down and attach the wiring and the car moves to the next station. If the person on the assembly line knows their job, being Mexican or German should not make a bit of difference.

One could argue that the wages and job would be of greater value to a Mexican worker than one in Germany thereby providing an incentive to do a good job.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3612.00