THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Thoughts on Moving to 718 Cayman from m240i

03-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #1
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Thoughts on Moving to 718 Cayman from m240i

I know there have been a couple threads on moving from a 2 series to a Cayman (or vice versa), but most of those threads are old and I'd be hit with the "Holy thread resurrection Batman" lines if I bumped them. So for 2020, I thought I'd check the pulse to see if opinions have changed or more folks have made the switch either way.

I feel bad for even considering this as I only picked up my m240i rwd manual slicktop back in Nov (after an EXHAUSTIVE search), but I've been thinking about a 718 Cayman non-stop for the past few weeks after seeing one again in the flesh after not having seen once since probably July. The m240i is without a doubt the best all-around car I've ever owned and I've had the pleasure to own an e39 M5, e46 m3, e46 ZHP sedan, and a CTS-V among others (all manuals). The m240i just handles everything I throw at it whether it is stop-and-go DC area traffic, blasting down the highway, or taking a nice cruise. I love the looks and it has all the modern creature comforts that I absolutely need as a 70 year old stuck in a 34 year old body. It's the perfect size and I don't need a sedan as it is only the wife and I living up the DINK forever life. There is absolutely zero logic in ever needing another car due to it ticking all the boxes. Game. Set. Match.

But then the Cayman appears and all logic goes out the window. And on top of that, the GTS will be getting the 4.0 flat six in the near future with a manual only (for a limited time)! Perfect car right? I was part of the pitchfork parade decrying the move to a 4 cylinder turbo. Internet users of the world unite! Then I heard the sound of the flat 4 in person. It sounded nice. I was astonished. Could this have been someone who swapped a flat 6 in the car? Nope. It was just a stock 718 Cayman. It hit me that I hated how I could never really use the power of the e46 m3 as you had to basically redline the thing to get any power and by that time you were in arrest me officer territory, especially in VA. Absolutely sucked (for me) as a DD in the DC area. So the GTS 4.0 would be no different, so why was I overlooking the 718 Cayman or Cayman S? I was looking down my nose at the 4 cylinders the same way M owners looked down upon us lowly folks who owned "m Performance" models. A turbo motor, such as the B58 in my m240i is a fantastic motor to deal with stop-and-go traffic. If the car suited the needs of the owner, why bash them for it? I don't need the screaming engine in my daily driver, no matter how good it sounds. And again, the 4 cylinder only sounded Subaru-like at idle. After that, it's a completely different animal. So I've been infatuated with a 718 Cayman since then. Can't get it out of my mind. Obsessed is probably an understatement and I'm sure it reflects in this post! I feel as if I'll have that "what if" if I don't scratch the itch.

I hope I won't be talking to myself. Please either walk me back from the ledge or tell me that this is a completely rational to have these irrational thoughts as a car lover. I know financially it doesn't make sense as I'd almost certainly take a hit (I even have some Arc 8's I ordered in the group buy that haven't been delivered yet!), but I can't help but ponder. I only need one vehicle, so I wouldn't keep the m240i and get the Cayman as well. Every time I've had a DD and a "fun" car, the fun car hardly ever got driven. The Cayman is practical enough and 99.99% of the time, I'm in the car by myself. I don't want a 981 as I can't go back to not having CarPlay and all the upgraded goodies that were introduced in the 718, plus I think the 718 is absolutely spot on in terms of looks.

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

If you only need one vehicle, drop by the Porsche dealer. Wear some nice clothes. Get in and out a few times. Imagine doing that several times a day. I tried my son's Cayman (6 cylinder) once, loved the drive, but nothing that made it worth bending my 6'2" frame in and trying to climb out each time. If you can live with that, and never carry more than a briefcase...satisfy the urge, if economics are not an issue.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
PDM5150.00
      03-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM5 View Post
Please help!
My MO is this: life's short – so don't wait, buy what you want.

I considered a range of two-seaters before coming to the conclusion that this coupe would be a better all-around fit for me (not that anyone is ever likely to ride in the rear seats of my car).
Appreciate 3
      03-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

If you can deal with not having a back seat, smaller size, and the higher outright cost of a 718, then go for it. It's an incredible car. If I could have afforded a Cayman GTS or GT4 (or even the lowly 4-cylinder), I can guarantee I'd be driving that instead of my 230i.

That said, the 2er is also an incredibly special car, and I can't imagine owning a car for just 4 months without catastrophic problems (like a wreck or a Lemon claim) being the impetus for dumping it so soon. You said yourself that you poured time into picking out this car among dozens, so no one would begrudge you for sticking with it. You did the research and you're not wrong - I did it too and came to the same conclusion.

So do what you want. Either way, you'll be behind the wheel of a very special enthusiast car a.d that's what's important to people like us.

Last edited by 230iZTR; 03-09-2020 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
PDM5150.00
      03-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Most important thing is that you sell off that awful, dangerous slicktop MT 240 as fast as possible. What color did you say it was?

But seriously, the people I know who made this move from 2'er to Cayman did it for tracking. The comments generally run towards the 'love it on track, can sort of tolerate it in traffic/potholes' so the daily drive may not be as easy. And you may have been spoiled a bit by BMW's free maintenance - Porsche makes BMW look cheap (I think an oil change is well over $200, and a lot of jobs start with removing the motor).
Appreciate 1
PDM5150.00
      03-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

For anyone that has driven a Cayman, they will all tell you the same thing, buy it.
Appreciate 1
PDM5150.00
      03-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #7
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

I suppose this isn't apples-to-apples, but I owned a used manual 2008 Cayman S prior to purchasing a '91 e30 and my current '14 M235i.

Agree with nvmaddog, anyone that's driven one will tell you it's a great platform, myself included. According to literally every automotive journalist, the newer model years are even better.

But unless you're only transporting yourself, a backpack, and on rare occasion a few bags of groceries, it's just not what I would consider a daily driver. Sure, you can "daily" it. But when you have to strategically choose what you can buy at a store for the sake of the frunk, it might be best as a weekend car. I remember the first week driving my Cayman I went to the grocery and half-wittedly came out with a 36 pack of on-sale toilet paper. Luckily I had ratchet straps and a short drive home.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #8
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all for the responses and for confirming that I am not (that) crazy. I think I am going to talk myself off the ledge before I make a rash decision, but instead wait around for the right Cayman to come along with the exact configuration/options that I want, just like with the m240i. The m240i is a lovely car, so it's not like I'm riding around in a car that I'm miserable in. First world problems. Maybe by then I'll have changed my mind and have completely fallen in love with it where I don't want to make the switch. Who knows.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #9
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Most important thing is that you sell off that awful, dangerous slicktop MT 240 as fast as possible. What color did you say it was?

But seriously, the people I know who made this move from 2'er to Cayman did it for tracking. The comments generally run towards the 'love it on track, can sort of tolerate it in traffic/potholes' so the daily drive may not be as easy. And you may have been spoiled a bit by BMW's free maintenance - Porsche makes BMW look cheap (I think an oil change is well over $200, and a lot of jobs start with removing the motor).
Lol it's Mineral White! Every option except the lane keep assist or whatever comes in the Driver Assistance Plus, which I have no need for.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00
      03-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #10
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think an oil change is well over $200
Maybe for the 718s? A friend has a 981 Cayman S, and his oil changes at an independent in North Jersey are ~$350.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM5 View Post
Quote:

Lol it's Mineral White! Every option except the lane keep assist or whatever comes in the Driver Assistance Plus, which I have no need for.
Hah! You sound like me except I needed AWD and a drop-top, and with the Boxster I was willing to compromise on the AWD (I live in MN). However I never test drove the Boxster, but the Cayman.

I test drove the Cayman around this time last year and loved it... and yet, I felt it was an insult to drive this lovely machine as a DD. It just never felt like it is in its element in stop-and-go traffic; it struggled frankly. I didn't mind the lack of cargo space at the time, but now that I compare it with my M240i 'vert, it is infinitely useful. Plus somewhat useful backseats are a lot more fun and useful than I thought.

Later during my research I test drove the M240i and, frankly, though the car is a compromise on so many levels (relative to the Boxster), the overall package won it for me. I get that lovely AWD and a drop-top, and that bullet proof B58 engine. I couldn't have asked for more. Run tune on it and a few bolt on mods, and you have a ridiculously sporty machine on your hands.

The Boxster looks better. Oh god it looks so beautiful! I still want it, but if it means giving up the usefulness and the flexibility of the M240i, I won't. I simply cannot think of one good reason that I would want to do that: trading away the DD livability, reliability, utility, and the monstrous potential for the sportier Porsche platform and the exceptionally good looks, both of which are seasonal joys, just doesn't make sense. Now if I could have the 718 Boxster in AWD, I would think long and hard haha!

Truthfully, you will miss the M240i, but you will love the Cayman.

If I were you, I would go for the big dog next time around, the new 911 enjoy your M240i. In fact mod it out. Put a tune on it, put on some mods, and terrorize some (stock) 718s on stop lights.

P.s. now that I type it out, I do partially reverse my thoughts on the relatively better aesthetics of the Boxster. There is something "classic" about the looks of the M240i that doesn't seem dated amongst all the gigantic grills, and curved corners you see on other cars. There is something timeless about this profile that I adore.

P.p.s. I forgot to add the final point that really made me love the M240i all over again. Come winter snow time, I put winter tires on it. The car is a tank in shit weather! Still sporty, still planted. It actually made winter driving fun rather than a chore! I don't even feel this safe in my 2020 XC90 than I do in this little rocket. The AWD was the right choice and I love how planted the car always feel, even if the road beneath it is iced out. Laugh all you want, but I dropped the top when it was a light snow... took the car for an early morning spin around suburbia spilling into farm-land. That was a beautiful experience. I honestly think that wouldn't have been possible with the Boxster.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Miata1387.00
      03-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #12
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
There is something timeless about this profile that I adore.
I believe that when changing their cars' profiles over the years both BMW and Porsche have done such an excellent job that at a glance we enthusiasts immediately recognize them for what they are. For me, that is a major part of what makes the general design language of the two marques both timeless and classic.

It's truly a terrific time to be an automobile enthusiast.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00
      03-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #13
Oldbay
Private
Rep
Drives: M240IC 6MT RWD

The Cayman is a good vehicle, but I do NOT like the move from the 6 to the 4 cylinder. I owned a 2011 Boxster Spyder and loved it...the new cars not so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #14
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

If I live to 70 and could afford it I would definitely get the Cayman...but then again if I had a 34 year old body at 70 I may feel the need to save my money. I feel like my time will be limited at that point so why not...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #15
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I had the pleasure of taking over the lease of a 718 Boxster S from my father-in-law in 2017 and now the wife and I have an M2 so I can offer some feedback, since the Boxster doesn't feel too different from the Cayman.

I would go for the 718, BUT only in 4.0 form. I know you said that you don't mind the Flat-4, however, the Flat-6 in the long run will be more enjoyable in sound as well as feel and character of the engine and its closer to the power of your current 240i. Also I have a feeling because of the GTS 4.0, the regular variants of the 718 will depreciate a lot more, and resale of the 4.0 will be better since the Flat-6 is appreciated and valued more in the Porsche community. Also, the GTS gets a lot more stuff standard, so a moderately optioned S is pretty much already at GTS pricing, so a GTS is the better buy and you'll still get the better engine with better resale.

I'm assuming you'd be going for the manual, to which I say, is a must, even as good as the PDK is, the manual is pure joy in the 718. I would also advise you check out the Boxster. With a vehicle that small, putting the top down brings in a much more airy experience helping it feel less cramped and convertibles are just so enjoyable in great weather, and modern soft-tops are very quiet. Also the weight penalty of the roadster isn't actually too bad, structural rigidity is still very strong with Porsche's excellent engineering skills and practicality still isn't too bad since you have the front and rear trunks. Maintenance however will be much more expensive in the long run due to the mid-engine setup so I advice you find an independent Porsche shop.

As for driving dynamics, based on my time with the Boxster, its an absolute joy to drive, incredibly fun and well balanced, not to mention most models are pretty light (for modern car standards) with most models weighing around 3100lbs (depends on options/model), and the car is very controllable, precise and really agile and steering feel is much better than BMW.

Both the 240 and 718 are great cars, honestly you will have to test drive one to see if you'll enjoy it enough to make the switch. Good luck with your choice!
      03-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #16
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

I can probably help out a little as I went from a 981 Cayman S to a m240i.

In terms of driving experience, there is no comparison. The cayman is much more of a connected, visceral, engaging experience. Of course that was with a flat six, but it sounds like the flat four doesn't bother you. But I suspect you've never driven a flat six S or GTS. You might be surprised how much more that engages you.

in terms of practicality, the m240i is more practical, given the additional space it has. It also has easier clearance, better visibility, and getting in and out is easier. One thing I came to appreciate about the m240i is how it is easy to live with and very fun at the same time. The cayman is more fun, but also harder to live with.

In the end, I would go with the passione! If you want the cayman get it, it's definitely liveable as your only car in a dink situation (this was my scenario).

best with the decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #17
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
If I live to 70 and could afford it I would definitely get the Cayman...but then again if I had a 34 year old body at 70 I may feel the need to save my money. I feel like my time will be limited at that point so why not...
Sorry I didn't word that correctly. I'm 34, but am an old soul who feels like a crotchety 70 year old (apologies to 70+ year olds - I'm referring to the grumpy old men, not every 70+ year old).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #18
9t2hoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 Cayman S

So I have the same dilemma. I have the M240i and I want a Cayman, but I suspect that after I get it, I will miss the extraordinary flexibility of the 240. Here’s a plan. Buy a used Cayman that is substantially depreciated and keep it for 6 months. Don’t sell the 240. Drive them back to back through a variety conditions. See which one you’re really want. If you have to dump the Cayman at the end of the six months, you won’t lose much (mainly taxes and registration fees). If you decide you want the cayman, sell both cars and buy the new GTS (which will feel like a faster version of the Cayman you trialed). This is sort of my plan (when my oldest goes to college in 3 years).
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #19
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9t2hoo View Post
So I have the same dilemma. I have the M240i and I want a Cayman, but I suspect that after I get it, I will miss the extraordinary flexibility of the 240. Here’s a plan. Buy a used Cayman that is substantially depreciated and keep it for 6 months. Don’t sell the 240. Drive them back to back through a variety conditions. See which one you’re really want. If you have to dump the Cayman at the end of the six months, you won’t lose much (mainly taxes and registration fees). If you decide you want the cayman, sell both cars and buy the new GTS (which will feel like a faster version of the Cayman you trialed). This is sort of my plan (when my oldest goes to college in 3 years).
I feel like you could find one on Turo and just rent one for a week, that would be a lot simpler
      03-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #20
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9t2hoo View Post
Lol that is quite an elaborate plan! But I like your style! Nice to see a fellow DC area member!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #21
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
One word: M2C. Or M2CS, if you like "minimalist" surroundings. The Cayman is more of an expensive "toy" that is better suited for weekend driving/track days than an everyday driver. I owned 5 different Porsches over a 12-year period, including a new Boxster when it came out in '97. All were really fun cars, but the ownership experience and lack of interior space was a drawback that I haven't experienced in any of my 5 BMWs I've owned since 2001.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #22
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Suggest you test drive one and see if you like the way it performs and how entry and exit is. I always liked the Cayman also. As I've aged, I'm finding that maximum performance isn't that important to me as I once thought.

I never use my M240i full capabilities. 1/2 throttle is plenty fast enough for normal use. Low 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times are really useless when driving on the street (unless you want to see the inside of jail cell). If you are track rat and enjoy weekends racing then I understand the desire for max performance. In traffic, I'm moving along at the same pace as the Toyota Corolla and the Porsche 911 or the Z06 Stingray.

I find it's more about the car comfort, fit and finish, practicality and driving enjoyment. Base Cayman vs. the GTS...hmmm. From the inside and out, essentially the same car except for the performance. How much do you need vs. how much do you want?

I also like the Jaguar F type, but find the base 4 cylinder to provide decent performance (merging in traffic and passing) to be sufficient while providing the looks inside and out of the Supercharged model.

I could easily swap my Dinan tuned M240i for a base Cayman or a 4 cyl F Type and be perfectly happy enjoying the quality and appointments of each of those cars. Both of these car lack some of the practicality and performance of the M240i, but then, how much practicality and performance do you actually need? I think as a grocery hauler the F Type would trump the Cayman, but if you have a second car use it for grocery's or make more trips. LOL
Appreciate 0