THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Amazon-owned Ring Doorbell to release security drone

09-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up Amazon-owned Ring Doorbell to release security drone

It will fly around indoors on pre set flight patterns via your mobile app working with your current Ring setup.
I like it! I'll probably order one. I love Tech like this.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/24/tech/...one/index.html
      09-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

That's pretty cool. Maybe we can mod it to hover over our BMW's to watch from above all day security surveillance while parked.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Very cool!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I'm happy to say that this isn't something I need or would want to deal with where I live. I can understand why some have cameras (I don't) but not following what situation this would work better unless you have a large estate. Even then, every drone I have ever been around you hear it coming and then going.
      09-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I'm happy to say that this isn't something I need or would want to deal with where I live. I can understand why some have cameras (I don't) but not following what situation this would work better unless you have a large estate. Even then, every drone I have ever been around you hear it coming and then going.
+1

That would annoy the shit out of me.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      09-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I love tech, but... i don't see the point of this. I have cameras on the outside of the house, but only put cameras inside when we are leaving for a long trip. However I don't see how this is any better than just having multiple cameras. You can get cameras pretty cheap and many wireless options to install them anywhere. I don't see how a noisy drone flying around works better?

Maybe if it was to monitor the outside of a many acre property or if you have one of those 28 room mansions with multiple wings (if that's the case you can probably afford real security). As they said in one of the best movies ever... "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Appreciate 4
David701567.00
omega2733133.50
jmack548.50
      09-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #7
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I love tech, but... i don't see the point of this. I have cameras on the outside of the house, but only put cameras inside when we are leaving for a long trip. However I don't see how this is any better than just having multiple cameras. You can get cameras pretty cheap and many wireless options to install them anywhere. I don't see how a noisy drone flying around works better?

Maybe if it was to monitor the outside of a many acre property or if you have one of those 28 room mansions with multiple wings (if that's the case you can probably afford real security). As they said in one of the best movies ever... "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
It really doesn't make any sense unless used for a large outdoor property, and like a few posters have said, you can clearly hear the drone so anything you likely plan on seeing will hear it too.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      09-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Want!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

So not only are people tossing their privacy to the wind with allowing these cloud based systems in their home, they're now willing to allow an outside entity the capability of trolling through your home.

I'm sure there is an ability to set up a walled garden to create a no fly zone in your home. But I can see "mistakes/bugs" with this and can imagine hackers are chomping at the bit to break into this system. I'm imagining that drone "accidentally" flying into a horizontal matress Mambo moment.
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #10
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25-X

Just imagine the excitement of a hacker gaining access to a mobile aerial footprint of your home, where you keep things, how you keep things, what parts of the house have less traffic, and what your lifestyle patterns are like..................................
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #11
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

The end of humanity
      09-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #12
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

By some of the comments... I guess you shouldn't drive a car either, because you may get hit.
I absolutely see the benefits of this. Or just peace of mind when having work done in the house by contractors, furniture deliveries, maid service etc. The drone isn't silent and in fact the article clearly says it makes noise on purpose so you know it's there.
To each his own. I'll grab one.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
By some of the comments... I guess you shouldn't drive a car either, because you may get hit.
I absolutely see the benefits of this. Or just peace of mind when having work done in the house by contractors, furniture deliveries, maid service etc. The drone isn't silent and in fact the article clearly says it makes noise on purpose so you know it's there.
That's a bit of a ridiculous analogy with the car. I'm all for tech when it makes sense. Believe me few people are more into tech than me. Not many can claim to have a data center in their basement where my servers are 40Gig attached, have a 100Gig switch, and TBs of SAN storage over fiber channel.

I've also worked on Federal projects focused on data collection from certain types of entities. I know what's possible with infiltration.

Hard pass on this one.
Appreciate 5
      09-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #14
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Will it freak my dog out?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:55 PM   #15
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
That's a bit of a ridiculous analogy with the car. I'm all for tech when it makes sense. Believe me few people are more into tech than me. Not many can claim to have a data center in their basement where my servers are 40Gig attached, have a 100Gig switch, and TBs of SAN storage over fiber channel.

I've also worked on Federal projects focused on data collection from certain types of entities. I know what's possible with infiltration.

Hard pass on this one.
Yeah..... but.... what if you could have a data center...... on a drone!!!??
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #16
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Per my post on another thread, read Age of Surveillance Capitalism and it will make perfect sense why they are selling this...just another great way to accumulate behavioral surplus
Appreciate 3
David701567.00
jmack548.50
      09-25-2020, 11:25 PM   #17
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

1. Design a drone that flies around on its own
2. Drones get wrecked by wildlife - cats, crows, starlings, hawks, etc
3. Amazon sells you replacement parts and drones
4. Profit!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:39 PM   #18
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post

Hard pass on this one.
Netapp guy huh? Chances are I might know you, worked there for a while and supported a lot of fed customers in the VA/MD area for the last ~10ish years.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 01:59 AM   #19
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
1. Design a drone that flies around on its own
2. Drones get wrecked by wildlife - cats, crows, starlings, hawks, etc
3. Amazon sells you replacement parts and drones
4. Profit!
No, any profit from the drone or parts for said drone are merely secondary. The sole purpose of this device is for data collection, that is where the value lies for Amazon/Ring.

Why anyone would voluntarily introduce this to their home is beyond me, I could only guess they're uninformed and/or don't understand the implications. Same goes for any Echo/Alexa type of product. Yes, I am fully aware that the phone I'm typing on right now does the same thing, but I can control 1 device - you can't easily do so when you have multiple spy devices spread throughout the house.
Appreciate 3
      09-26-2020, 06:23 AM   #20
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Appreciate 4
UncleWede17872.50
upstatedoc7555.50
MKSixer34171.50
      09-28-2020, 09:07 AM   #21
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
All the above can be handled by a couple of cameras around or in your house (I have never had/needed a camera) and they don't scream out "YOU ARE NOT TRUSTED" like a drone flying above them.

You plan to have this drone hovering above the guy painting your house? I can't imagine being the worker dealing with this. If I was a decent painting contractor with a full schedule (most of them), I would pass on your business. If you really think you need to be there every minute watching me work because you don't trust me, then this isn't a good business relationship and you should find someone else. Also, this thing won't make it through an 8 hour day so if I do want to screw you over I just need to wait.
      09-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #22
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2733 View Post
Netapp guy huh? Chances are I might know you, worked there for a while and supported a lot of fed customers in the VA/MD area for the last ~10ish years.
We may have crossed paths. I was actually offered a job at NetApp a few years ago. I don't know which Fed agencies you've supported but at the time my sales team consisted of a sales lady with a first name starting with L and her sales engineer that we kid about looking like Kenny Loggins. I was also the first NetApp sale/penetration into the particular agency I was supporting at the time. I've heard they still refer to that implementation by my first name.
Appreciate 0