THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Going from a Miata to an M240i: An Introduction

09-20-2019, 11:53 PM   #45
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
I really like my 240i, but am eyeing a 2019 Club with the Brembos. I hear the upgraded engine and LSD makes a difference. Overall, I really miss owning a convertible...

Good luck with your new Mee. I hope you post updates on it.
Hmmm, it's hard to get too far away from Miatas once you get hooked. I'm going on five months already with my ND, and it totally hits the sweet spot for me. Mine is a GT-S, so it has the Bilsteins, LSD, and front sway bar from the Club. The new engine is simply awesome, and keeps on pulling right up to 7,500 rpm. I got a precision alignment last week and really like the characteristics of the new specs.

I genuinely loved my M240i, and wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend one... BUT, the ND is just a heck of a lot more entertaining. The ND may not be the better car of the two, but it's the sillier one. And that's what matters most to me, at this point in time.
Attached Images

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2019, 11:58 PM   #46
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Hmmm, it's hard to get too far away from Miatas once you get hooked. I'm going on five months already with my ND, and it totally hits the sweet spot for me. Mine is a GT-S, so it has the Bilsteins, LSD, and front sway bar from the Club. The new engine is simply awesome, and keeps on pulling right up to 7,500 rpm. I got a precision alignment last week and really like the characteristics of the new specs.

I genuinely loved my M240i, and wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend one... BUT, the ND is just a heck of a lot more entertaining. The ND may not be the better car of the two, but it's the sillier one. And that's what matters most to me, at this point in time.
Man...don't be tempting me! Like you, I really like my 240i. However, I do miss the sun/wind/noise of a convertible. So, another ND is on my horizon. Thanks!

BTW...did you actually sell/trade your 240i (from reading your signature)? Did you trade it in for the ND?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #47
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
So, another ND is on my horizon. Thanks!

BTW...did you actually sell/trade your 240i...? Did you trade it in for the ND?
Say hi over on miata.net, in that case; my user name is the same.

I didn't need two cars, so sold the M240i once I bought the ND.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #48
jet987
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mazda MX5 Miata Club/BBS

Garage List
2017 BMW 230I  [0.00]
Last year I went from a 2017 230i 6sp manual M Sport (bought new) to a 2019 ND2 Miata 6sp manual Club Brembo/BBS (bought slightly used), and I'm not looking back. Miata is much sportier, comfortable enough for hours at 5'7", much better road feel, just as fast, and no rev hang which was bad on the 230i. I wouldn't own a Miata as an only car though, I have a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek for daily driver/hauling duties. I haven't driven an M240i or M235i though.
Attached Images

07-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #49
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet987 View Post
Last year I went from a 2017 230i 6sp manual M Sport (bought new) to a 2019 ND2 Miata 6sp manual Club Brembo/BBS (bought slightly used), and I'm not looking back. Miata is much sportier, comfortable enough for hours at 5'7", much better road feel, just as fast, and no rev hang which was bad on the 230i. I wouldn't own a Miata as an only car though, I have a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek for daily driver/hauling duties. I haven't driven an M240i or M235i though.
Nice color...the same as mine! I'm with you on car thoughts. I really like my M240i, but it sure has a stiff clutch (bad knee) and no sunroof (which I miss). Otherwise, it's amazing to drive. I'd like to own a Boxster, but they're a solid notch higher priced. So, I bought a relatively cheap 2020 MX-5 GT-S. You're right...it's not an only car. Just took a 250 mile trip in it and I'm exhausted.

Also, I used to own a Crosstrek and really liked it. My biggest gripe was that they cannot be purchased with a sunroof coupled with a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #50
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

Wow, what a nice thread. After reading all the posts I am glad I am not alone with the passion on Miatas.

I just traded in my 2019 S5 and ordered a 2021 M240i in 6sp. I also have a 2019 Miata RF GTS / 6 speed. This is my 6th Miata. I have gone through many cars in the past trying to find the perfect one. Somehow I have always gravitated back to a Miata.

In between all my Miatas 01 SE, 04 MSM, 08 NC, 12 NC PRHT, 13 NC PRHT, I have owned 08 Mazdaspeed 3, 07 Z43.0si, 14 370z, 14 WRX, 13 Boxster S, 15 Cayman, and the latest 19 S5.

Keep in mind that all the Miatas I had and the one I have now have suspension upgrades. Truly to me it is the most fun I can have without going to jail while driving on public roads. Miata is not meant to be fast, but as others pointed out it surely feels fast, thus the safe fun factor.

The S5 was a wonderful car with comfort and speed, but to me it lacks the visceral experience. It probably has to do with the size and the weight of the car. So on to the next adventure of trying out the M240i. Can't wait, hopefully with a smile.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #51
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliuod View Post
Wow, what a nice thread. After reading all the posts I am glad I am not alone with the passion on Miatas.

I just traded in my 2019 S5 and ordered a 2021 M240i in 6sp. I also have a 2019 Miata RF GTS / 6 speed. This is my 6th Miata. I have gone through many cars in the past trying to find the perfect one. Somehow I have always gravitated back to a Miata.

In between all my Miatas 01 SE, 04 MSM, 08 NC, 12 NC PRHT, 13 NC PRHT, I have owned 08 Mazdaspeed 3, 07 Z43.0si, 14 370z, 14 WRX, 13 Boxster S, 15 Cayman, and the latest 19 S5.

Keep in mind that all the Miatas I had and the one I have now have suspension upgrades. Truly to me it is the most fun I can have without going to jail while driving on public roads. Miata is not meant to be fast, but as others pointed out it surely feels fast, thus the safe fun factor.

The S5 was a wonderful car with comfort and speed, but to me it lacks the visceral experience. It probably has to do with the size and the weight of the car. So on to the next adventure of trying out the M240i. Can't wait, hopefully with a smile.
Hey man...that sounds a LOT like me. I just bought a 2020 Miata GT(S) with the intention of selling my 2017 M240i (6MT) immediately afterward. However, I love both of these cars and I'll just suck it up to keep both for a while. You'll truly love the M240i, so congrats. It's probably the perfect car overall. If I were you, I'd perform an early dealer oil change (~1000 miles) to it on record. Keep us posted on your new acquisition! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:08 PM   #52
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey man...that sounds a LOT like me. I just bought a 2020 Miata GT(S) with the intention of selling my 2017 M240i (6MT) immediately afterward. However, I love both of these cars and I'll just suck it up to keep both for a while. You'll truly love the M240i, so congrats. It's probably the perfect car overall. If I were you, I'd perform an early dealer oil change (~1000 miles) to it on record. Keep us posted on your new acquisition! Cheers!
Thanks... Enjoy your Miata. You will want to put in a larger front sway bar. It will really flatten out the front. The rear is optional and not as important. I went with Flying Miata stage II suspension kit. Koni adjustable dampers / Flying Miata springs and its front and rear sway bars. With that the car rides on rails. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #53
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliuod View Post
Thanks... Enjoy your Miata. You will want to put in a larger front sway bar. It will really flatten out the front. The rear is optional and not as important. I went with Flying Miata stage II suspension kit. Koni adjustable dampers / Flying Miata springs and its front and rear sway bars. With that the car rides on rails. Enjoy.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm gonna get a feel for it as stock a bit longer. As for you, are you gonna get the M-Performance LSD diff? I am 50/50 on it as it's around $4K at my local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #54
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm gonna get a feel for it as stock a bit longer. As for you, are you gonna get the M-Performance LSD diff? I am 50/50 on it as it's around $4K at my local dealer.

Probably not as I don't track my car. I could see using that $4k on a nice sound system and some performance tires. I wanted the jet black wheels with performance non-run flat tires. It was what I configured through the BMWUSA site. But that was not an option when it came time to place the order. So I had no choice but to accept the jet black wheels(not staggered) with all season run flat tires. I figured it will be cheaper to replace the tires than the rims. The only good thing that comes out of this is I will be able to rotate the tires because of the non-staggered configuration.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #55
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

I looked at Miata's twice. Once for myself and once for my oldest. I'm 6' and he's 6'1". We drove around the block and came back, I couldn't drive to store with that leg room. Stinks love the $$ point.

Look like fun cars.

Also there is a thread here you can order M diff from NJ dealer until end of year for $2,100. Most places should install for $500

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #56
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
I looked at Miata's twice. Once for myself and once for my oldest. I'm 6' and he's 6'1". We drove around the block and came back, I couldn't drive to store with that leg room. Stinks love the $$ point.

Look like fun cars.

Also there is a thread here you can order M diff from NJ dealer until end of year for $2,100. Most places should install for $500

Cheers
I tell people that if you truly want a Mee, you'll fit. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and I fit just fine.

Good suggestion on the M-Diff. I even thought of installing it, myself if I can find it cheap enough and find the exact service installation instructions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #57
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
I tell people that if you truly want a Mee, you'll fit. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and I fit just fine.

Good suggestion on the M-Diff. I even thought of installing it, myself if I can find it cheap enough and find the exact service installation instructions. Thanks!
Guessing we have different levels of "fitting" fine, my wife is 5'7" and she said it couldnt be much shorter. I want a Boxster, and until last generation, it was too tight...but slightly better then Miata.

Im thinner at 170 and 33 inseam, I fit, to the store and back lol

Last edited by 4Hockey4; 09-22-2020 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #58
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Guessing we have different levels of "fitting" fine, my wife is 5'7" and she said it couldnt be much shorter. I want a Boxster, and until last generation, it was too tight...but slightly better then Miata.

I'm a bit fatter with the same overall body dimensions as you, but I'm used to relatively tight fitting cockpits...as probably many hardcore car "ascetics" are. I've even driven a few Indycar clones and YES...those are very tight. I also owned an early Boxster and found it roomy. I suggest you buy an older Mee and just drive it for a while. They're not tight. They're cozy!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:13 PM   #59
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Quote:
Quote:

Although a Cayman (but should still have the same interior dimensions and "do I fit" testability as a Boxster), there is one at the Ford dealership in Falls Church. I assume you'll be looking for a manual one and it was the first manual one to pop up around the DC area in forever. It's an S and I'm glad I drove it because now I know the base engine will be the best for me. Much like the Miata, it follows the "slow but fast" mantra where you can use almost all of the gears without going to jail. Much like our cars, the S only really needed three gears for the street as I was well above the speed limit in 2nd gear.

Can't go wrong with either a Miata or a Boxster/Cayman! Lovely, lovely vehicles!
Appreciate 0